Female Apple employee put on administrative leave following tweets about sexism in the wor...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    I recently was giving a presentation to higher-ups and noticed I was raising my pitch at the end of my sentences.  I caught it, apologized, fixed the issue.  Later in the week i was thanked for bringing it up by a manager at the meeting.  Not sure what causes it but it is highly annoying to hear statements sound like questions.  I need to go to Toastmasters or something.
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 52
    "Ok, you want me to put my life at risk, decrease my productivity, and you're not giving me any logic on why I actually need to do that?" 

I just can't get over this statement.
    It is so unbecoming of a manager, let alone an Apple program manager.

ikirBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 52
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    jimh2 said:
    I'd guess by her quotes and actions around this she may be off. No stable person publicizes a personal issue prior to an unfavorable outcome. Based on that alone I would fire her. The good thing about the modern world is that now that she has gone public she has ruined her chance of future employment with other companies and will be the hot potato in the office that no one will accept as a team member.
    She’s not planning on going back to work. 
    She’s planning to blackmail Apple into getting rid of her with a large severance payment, and then setting herself up as a Twitter personality who advises other people on how to blackmail their employers into letting them work from home. 
    edited August 2021 ikirpichaelBeatsapplesauce007dewmeOctoMonkeywatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 52
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member
    There's definitely some real and serious cases of this-ism and that-ism, abuse, etc. but I feel that these "movements" create their own momentum and incidents that are otherwise harmless are posiioned as fitting into the definition of a movement.

This example:
    Gjovik in a tweet on Aug. 2 shared a screenshot of a Messages conversation that allegedly illustrates the type of sex discrimination she faces. In the discussion, a male higher-up provides feedback on a recent presentation, saying that Gjovik "did great" by refraining from raising her voice at the end of sentences. Managers noted the inflection made statements sound like questions. 

What if it was a female higher-up? Would it still be interpreted as sex discrimination? Could this possibly just be another "person" saying something about her presentation style? But since it's a guy, there must be something sex-related about it?

Should there be an intervention into how this higher-up behaved or commented less that professionally? Sure! But let's not automatically classify it as sex discrimination simply because the genders are different!

I probably have no idea what I'm talking about, so I'll just stop here and listen.  ;)

Beatsuraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 52
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Who hired Karen?

The compliment on her speech is sexist? Give me a break. The complaint about paid leave is icing on the cake.

Also, more excuses to stay at home? She is the definition of first-world problems. The type of female that will complain about sexist air conditioning and ignore the cries of children in sweat shops.

https://youtu.be/MNH0bmYT7os

tylersdad said:
    I will never understand people who feel the need to bite the hand that feeds. She sounds more like she was pissed about not being able to continue to work remotely, so she trashed her company…which is about as progressive as companies get…for being sexist. 

Unbelievable. She should be grateful she has such an awesome job. There are probably thousands who would gladly take her place. 
    You think that a hostile work environment is "such an awesome job"?

You're not in her place.  You have ZERO insight into this.  You're a male, at that.  Apple or any corp isn't "the hand that feeds".  Getting paid is *compensation* for work done.  It's not a gift. It's not a hand out.  It's a contracted agreement.

If someone's dad who knows sh*t about what's really going on with her situation feels free to be sexist and assuming and thinks he knows what's right for her and have nothing to gain or lose, what do you think the possibilities are for others at the Apple who equally do not know her specific circumstance but may have their job performance judged on how their handling of this affects the company?

Have a bit of empathy.  Or of you can't or won't muster that much, try some sympathy.  Still lacking that and feeling a bit sociopathic here?  Silence works.

Breaking news! Websites reporting on the story confused this person as female.  The person whining is actually a male named Tom!

Time to retract your statements and tell Tom he’s a wussy and to”man-up”.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 52
    I hope for her sake, she's got better evidence of sexism and harassment than a supervisor giving her constructive criticism on giving presentations.  It's annoying as hell to listen to someone end every sentence with their voice going up and sounding like a series of questions.  That's a valid critique.  You can do that every once in a while but not constantly.  And it has nothing to do with being a woman.  It's public speaking 101.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 52
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member
    Her interview with Verge shows a propensity to glom on to currently popular grievance hashtags that are used to garner attention and trigger emotional reactions in the court of public opinion. The problem with this tactical decision is that facts of the individual case get obscured and convoluted because the individual case is now seen as simply another shameful incident to justify the righteous crusade against an evil oppressor, which in this case is Evil Big Tech Giant Apple.

To put it more simply - this has all of the signs of an attempt to manipulate public opinion against Apple for personal gain. 

It sounds like Apple has all of the processes in place, like the EAP, to handle personnel issues within the organization. These programs are specifically designed to allow individuals to bring issues and concerns to light without having to go through the normal reporting channels, i.e., bypass the chain of command. It sounds like this employee decided that Twitter was a better path to resolving the issues rather than the EAP. This is a huge escalation because it goes from “I have an issue with my employer that needs to be resolved to our mutual benefit.” to “My employer has an issue that needs to be ratted out to the entire world.”

Unfortunately, in the realm of social media and global connectivity the singular to global escalation of grievances only takes a few keystrokes and a couple of minutes to launch. That’s not a lot of time for contemplating the full consequences of one’s actions. Continuing a one-sided attack on other channels like Slack, where the other party is not in a position to defend themselves, or in this case I suspect, point out the fallacies being promoted in a way that would likely offend the person if presented in a public setting, is not any more appropriate. There are simply some things that need to be dealt with in a private setting, not as a way to suppress or cover them up, but because the people involved are still people and you don’t want to humiliate them publicly, even if they seem hellbent on doing it themselves. 
    Dovalwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 52
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    If that tweet is all she has then she has nothing. A very favourable comment from a manager congratulating her on not using uptalk is not sexist of harassment. It’s part of her job. If Apple has asked males to do the same then she has no case, and they have as a response in the tweet informed her. 

No court is going to countenance the right to work from home, either, unless legislation is advanced to force that. 

And if Apple already hasn’t forced into it’s contract secrecy violations - ie don’t post about work on social media then it needs to start now. 
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 52
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    She sounds like trouble. I had a coworker who was always looking for trouble. She would flirt trying to look for a reaction so she can claim that someone was hitting on her and contact HR. 
    From armchair layers and now shrinks this site attracts a bunch of weirdos. Given we don’t know all the facts about the case maybe we should get back to speculating on what the next Apple Watch will look like. It is for her, Apple and at some point probably, the courts. 
  • Reply 30 of 52
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    She’s probably already talking to a lawyer about the lawsuit she plans to file against Apple. The lawyer? Why, Gloria Allred of course!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 52
    Regardless of what you may think of the individual merits of this particular situation, anyone who has worked in corporate America knows that the way a company promotes it's internal support systems for employees doesn't really match the experience if those support systems are used. Most employees figure that making use of those avenues will brand them as a troublemaker or set them up for retribution...and judging by most of the comments in this thread, that's not an unfounded concern. I worked at a large corporation that had an internal web site that was supposed to be for providing feedback to management announcements/initiatives and also "socializing", but the reality is that it was 100% cheerleading. Nobody felt comfortable providing any input beyond that. 
    blastdoor
  • Reply 32 of 52
    She didnt STATE she was experiencing a hostile workplace. She was ASKING if she was experiencing a hostile workplace. That speech quirk is so annoying.
    asdasdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 52
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    tylersdad said:
    I will never understand people who feel the need to bite the hand that feeds. She sounds more like she was pissed about not being able to continue to work remotely, so she trashed her company…which is about as progressive as companies get…for being sexist. 

Unbelievable. She should be grateful she has such an awesome job. There are probably thousands who would gladly take her place. 
    You think that a hostile work environment is "such an awesome job"?

You're not in her place.  You have ZERO insight into this.  You're a male, at that.  Apple or any corp isn't "the hand that feeds".  Getting paid is *compensation* for work done.  It's not a gift. It's not a hand out.  It's a contracted agreement.

If someone's dad who knows sh*t about what's really going on with her situation feels free to be sexist and assuming and thinks he knows what's right for her and have nothing to gain or lose, what do you think the possibilities are for others at the Apple who equally do not know her specific circumstance but may have their job performance judged on how their handling of this affects the company?

Have a bit of empathy.  Or of you can't or won't muster that much, try some sympathy.  Still lacking that and feeling a bit sociopathic here?  Silence works.

I have worked with many women. 
    The best didn’t get involved in male / female issues - or any such issues.   Instead they put all that they had into doing the best job that they could serving the company.   As a result, they weren’t harassed.  They were valued and respected. 

Admittedly, I was fortunate to work for some great companies with great management - where people like this were simply not tolerated by staff or by management. 
    What you just said: "I have worked with females. We didn't harass the females if they kept quiet."

You dudes aren't even aware of how fucked up you come off.

And boy, what a collection of corporate bootlickers. Yeah Apple is not a golden god, it's just an employer. There is an exchange of compensation for value creation. They aren't parental units.
    edited August 2021 crowleyBeatsblastdoorchemengin1
  • Reply 34 of 52
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member
    Regardless of what you may think of the individual merits of this particular situation, anyone who has worked in corporate America knows that the way a company promotes it's internal support systems for employees doesn't really match the experience if those support systems are used. Most employees figure that making use of those avenues will brand them as a troublemaker or set them up for retribution...and judging by most of the comments in this thread, that's not an unfounded concern. I worked at a large corporation that had an internal web site that was supposed to be for providing feedback to management announcements/initiatives and also "socializing", but the reality is that it was 100% cheerleading. Nobody felt comfortable providing any input beyond that. 
    No system is perfect, but what’s the alternative to programs like Apple’s EAP? The court of public opinion and assumed guilt? The very title of this article is very much biased towards an assumption that Apple is guilty and has taken steps to retaliate against the assumed victim. 

Everyone needs to get their voice heard in a fair and unbiased forum, the accused and the accuser. However, once one side of the dispute escalates the dispute to a global public forum where only one side is free to state their case, it turns into a shitstorm that one side or the other thinks needs to be extinguished with cold hard cash. Apple and other publicly owned companies are never going to argue their case out on Twitter. Doing so would be insane and damaging to their stakeholders, no matter the outcome. 

The EAPs that I’ve been involved with had clearly stated processes for how cases were handled, including how the accused individuals were brought into the loop and what the accused or those in the chain of command could and could not do, especially when it comes to retaliation. This is all fine and good, but like any process with humans in the loop it’s always limited by the reality that some people are simply assholes who derive pleasure from making other people miserable. That’s an unfixable problem. 
    edited August 2021
  • Reply 35 of 52
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    dewme said:
    Her interview with Verge shows a propensity to glom on to currently popular grievance hashtags that are used to garner attention and trigger emotional reactions in the court of public opinion. The problem with this tactical decision is that facts of the individual case get obscured and convoluted because the individual case is now seen as simply another shameful incident to justify the righteous crusade against an evil oppressor, which in this case is Evil Big Tech Giant Apple.

To put it more simply - this has all of the signs of an attempt to manipulate public opinion against Apple for personal gain. 

It sounds like Apple has all of the processes in place, like the EAP, to handle personnel issues within the organization. These programs are specifically designed to allow individuals to bring issues and concerns to light without having to go through the normal reporting channels, i.e., bypass the chain of command. It sounds like this employee decided that Twitter was a better path to resolving the issues rather than the EAP. This is a huge escalation because it goes from “I have an issue with my employer that needs to be resolved to our mutual benefit.” to “My employer has an issue that needs to be ratted out to the entire world.”

Unfortunately, in the realm of social media and global connectivity the singular to global escalation of grievances only takes a few keystrokes and a couple of minutes to launch. That’s not a lot of time for contemplating the full consequences of one’s actions. Continuing a one-sided attack on other channels like Slack, where the other party is not in a position to defend themselves, or in this case I suspect, point out the fallacies being promoted in a way that would likely offend the person if presented in a public setting, is not any more appropriate. There are simply some things that need to be dealt with in a private setting, not as a way to suppress or cover them up, but because the people involved are still people and you don’t want to humiliate them publicly, even if they seem hellbent on doing it themselves. 

I’m surprised Apple allowed her to work there while badmouthing the company. I would have gotten rid of that b**** so fast without extra compensation. Even now she’s still getting paid and still talking sh**.

How much paid leave did that sexist “evil” male get that was fired a few months ago? EXACTLY.
    Dovalasdasd
  • Reply 36 of 52
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Beats said:
    dewme said:

I’m surprised Apple allowed her to work there while badmouthing the company. I would have gotten rid of that b**** so fast without extra compensation. Even now she’s still getting paid and still talking sh**.

How much paid leave did that sexist “evil” male get that was fired a few months ago? EXACTLY.
    You think the person who complains about a hostile work environment should get the same treatment as the person who creates the hostile work environment?

I guess we know which side you're buttered on.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 37 of 52
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,297member
    bulk001 said:
    Given we don’t know all the facts about the case maybe we should get back to speculating on what the next Apple Watch will look like. It is for her, Apple and at some point probably, the courts. 
    I completely agree. 

We know very little about this person or her situation, so all the comments are just projections of people's own particular biases/issues.  

Some considerations for people who are SO CONFIDENT that they know the truth of this situation:

1. How common is it for middle managers in corporations to be kiss-up / kick-down careerists? I'd say, pretty common.
    2. How common is it for employees (esp less experienced ones, regardless of gender/race) to be overly sensitive to criticism and unable to navigate the realities of a corporate job? I'd say, pretty common. 
    3. How common is it for women to face sexism? I'd say, pretty common.
    4. How common is it for less experienced employees to misinterpret valid feedback as something inappropriate? I'd say, pretty common. 

Bottom line---- it could be anything. We don't know, and it's really none of our business. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 38 of 52
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 404member
    I, too, deeply dislike ending statements with rising inflection. I obviously wasn't there to see if this criticism was given equally to men and women, but I find it equally annoying from either.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 52
    DovalDoval Posts: 40member
    Just look at this woman’s Twitter history and judge for yourself. She needs psychiatric help . Apple or the “leadership” is not the problem here. Try to find one thing in her life she doesn’t have an issue with. Case closed.

Also, I looked at the woman linkedn, the fact she has been promoted as much as she has in the last 6 years is what needs investigation quite frankly. 

And she is also studying in law school , which I bet Apple is paying for.

the fact Apple hasn’t fired this type of employee actually speaks volumes how Apple is bending over backwards for her and it’s that type of bending over that has fostered this type of employee.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 52
    DovalDoval Posts: 40member
    There's definitely some real and serious cases of this-ism and that-ism, abuse, etc. but I feel that these "movements" create their own momentum and incidents that are otherwise harmless are posiioned as fitting into the definition of a movement.

This example:
    Gjovik in a tweet on Aug. 2 shared a screenshot of a Messages conversation that allegedly illustrates the type of sex discrimination she faces. In the discussion, a male higher-up provides feedback on a recent presentation, saying that Gjovik "did great" by refraining from raising her voice at the end of sentences. Managers noted the inflection made statements sound like questions. 

What if it was a female higher-up? Would it still be interpreted as sex discrimination? Could this possibly just be another "person" saying something about her presentation style? But since it's a guy, there must be something sex-related about it?

Should there be an intervention into how this higher-up behaved or commented less that professionally? Sure! But let's not automatically classify it as sex discrimination simply because the genders are different!

I probably have no idea what I'm talking about, so I'll just stop here and listen.  ;)

What this woman needs is psychiatric help and confinement 
    watto_cobra