Apple TV+ shares first look feature of comedy series 'Mr. Corman'

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2021
Ahead of an Aug. 6 debut, Apple on Wednesday posted a first look feature of Apple TV+ series "Mr. Corman," offering a glimpse of the upcoming comedy starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

Mr. Corman

Shared in a post to the official Apple TV+ YouTube channel, the "featurette" includes commentary from the cast and crew, as well as behind-the-scenes footage that offers viewers a peek at Gordon-Levitt's production process.

"Josh Corman sounds sort of like Joseph Gordon," Gordon-Levitt said. "He's not me, but I started imagining what my life could have been like. [ . . . ] The story of 'Mr. Corman' is what if some things had turned out a little different in my life."

The actor created "Mr. Corman" with help from executive producers Bruce Eric Kaplan, Ravi Nandan, and Inman Young, as well as producer Pamela Harvey-White. Gordon-Levitt also wrote and directed a bulk of the show.

Described by Apple as "darkly funny, oddly beautiful, and deeply heartfelt," "Mr. Corman" tells the tale of a fifth-grade public school teacher in the San Fernando Valley. With a music career that didn't pan out and an ex-fiancee who moved out only to be replaced by a high school buddy, Josh struggles to cope with anxiety, loneliness and self-doubt.

Starring alongside Gordon-Levitt are Arturo Castro, Debra Winger, Bobby Hall aka Logic, Alexander Jo, Juno Temple, Jamie Chung, Shannon Woodward and Hector Hernandez.

"Mr. Corman" debuts Friday, Aug. 6, on Apple TV+.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I am wary of "darkly funny". I seem to have lost my appetite for black humour as I've grown older. I tried to get into darkly funny shows like Fleabag, but just couldn't.

I'll give this a shot, but right now I like the comfort that shows like Ted Lasso and Mr. Iglesias provide. I always go back to old favourites like Scrubs, Psych and Brooklyn 99 as well.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I am wary of "darkly funny". I seem to have lost my appetite for black humour as I've grown older. I tried to get into darkly funny shows like Fleabag, but just couldn't.

I'll give this a shot, but right now I like the comfort that shows like Ted Lasso and Mr. Iglesias provide. I always go back to old favourites like Scrubs, Psych and Brooklyn 99 as well.
    Based on those shows you’ve mentioned, which I also like, have you ever watched “Chuck”?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    Chuck was a great show. Clever and lots of laughs. Same with Brooklyn 99 and Scrubs. Roday got very annoying very quickly, and I often wish Hill or any of the other characters would clock him into next week.

Ted Lasso is great and it will be interesting to see Juno Temple in another show. I don't know anything about Mr. Iglesias.

I've liked Joseph Gordon-Levitt in everything I've seen him in, so this will definitely get a look. But I'm not really fond of "dark comedy" so there's some trepidation. That's why Lasso was such a huge hit with me. Lots of fun, little despair or angst. So I'll see how this goes.
    Japhey