HomePod 15.1 beta brings back lossless streaming, Dolby Atmos

Posted:
in General Discussion
The first beta of Apple's upcoming HomePod Software Version 15.1 has reintroduced Lossless and Dolby Atmos with Spatial Audio support to the company's smart speakers.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

After launching Apple Music Lossless and Spatial Audio in May, the company said that the HomePod mini and HomePod would receive support at a later date. Apple added lossless support in a prior beta, but removed it before the official release of Software Version 15.

Now, in HomePod Software Version 15.1 beta 1, Apple has reintroduced both of those features, suggesting that support could launch when the final version of the software is released to the public. 9to5Mac first spotted the new features in the latest beta.

Users running the HomePod beta software can enable the features in the Home app by tapping on Home Settings, Media, and Apple Music.

First introduced earlier in 2021, lossless audio and Spatial Audio are two features baked into Apple Music
Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Any chance apple addressed the issue of defective HomePods that some are experiencing?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 3
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    I know that for what it is the OG HomePod sounds quite good (I have a pair),  but can it do a good enough job that you can actually hear the difference between lossless and standard streamed audio?  Assuming you are one of those who can actually tell the difference with a good audio system.  

Let alone the HomePod mini.  I have one of those as well and it sounds decent but you can tell the difference between the HomePod OG and HomePod mini and the mini is no competitor to the HomePod OG sound wise. 
    williamlondonbaconstang
  • Reply 3 of 3
    My damage ears cannot
    tell the difference….but w dolby atmos i can
    williamlondon