iPhone 13 Pro getting automatic macro mode toggle in iOS 15.1

Posted:
in iPhone
As promised, Apple has introduced a toggle that allows iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max users to switch off auto-macro mode on their devices.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

In its current form, macro mode automatically kicks in when an iPhone detects a subject within 10 centimeters of the lens. Some users have been annoyed by the lack of granular control over the feature. In response, Apple said a toggle to disable it would arrive "this fall."

Now, it appears that an auto-macro toggle will be available in the final version of iOS 15.1. Apple introduced the toggle in the third beta build of the software, which was released on Wednesday.

Users running the latest beta can find the toggle in the Camera section of the Settings app.

Macro mode has been a key selling point for the new iPhone 13 models. Since the iPhone 13 Pro's debut, at least one doctor has also used the mode to take macro images of a patient's eye to monitor treatments.

Alongside the macro toggle, Apple in iOS 15.1 beta 3 introduced support for ProRes video capture on the iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    This is all great, but I’m getting sick of those damned auto-play videos on this site.
    jeffharrisJBSlough
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Unlock with Apple Watch on my iPhone 13 Pro STILL doesn’t work…
  • Reply 3 of 6
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    As an fyi?

Unlock with Apple Watch works all the time now, once locked any move to wake the phone if I’m not lined up right for Face ID my Watch clicks and displays a notice my iPhone just got unlocked. A series 3 Watch running current OS and an iPhone 13 Pro Max w iOS 15.01. Watch unlock never worked previously with this Watch and my iPhone 12 Pro Max. Go figure. 

One thing maybe to check? Iirc I read somewhere unlock with Apple Watch requires Wi-Fi be enabled though you don’t have to be on a network. ??? That’s my current settings and it just unlocked itself a couple minutes back, no mask just the phone not facing me. 
    edited October 2021
  • Reply 4 of 6
    It’s supposedly fixed in 15.0.1. You could not enable the feature in in iOS 15.0 with an iPhone 13. 

Prior to 15.0.1’s release, it was reportedly fixed for some users in 15.1 Beta 2, but not others, including myself. I would have expected it to be fully resolved in Beta 3 given 15.0.1 has been out for a few days now, but that is does not seem to be the case. 

Edit: my apologies, just realized I’d posted this on the macro story and not the Beta 3 story. 
    edited October 2021 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Wow. Apple include a feature they could have introduced in the first place. It’s magical. 
  • Reply 6 of 6
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    tteuer said:
    Unlock with Apple Watch on my iPhone 13 Pro STILL doesn’t work…
    I switched the open with Apple Watch on and off and restarted both the phone and watch and it started to work for me again. It wasn't perfect 100%, but the majority of the time it worked for me.  I have the 12 Pro max, not the 13 yet. I was in a hospital setting for almost 5 hrs with a mask on. I feel like the password on the watch isn't working correctly. If I put the password in, the phone would open multiple times ,but it if it sat long enough for the watch to require the pass code again it wouldn't work correctly right away.