New MacBook Pros chargeable via MagSafe 3 or Thunderbolt 4

Posted:
in macOS
Apple's new 16-inch MacBook Pro and 14-inch MacBook Pro models feature multiple ways to charge, including MagSafe 3 or the trio of Thunderbolt 4 ports.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The new MacBook Pro models feature the return of a MagSafe-style charger. The new MagSafe 3 connector is designed to deliver more power into a system, Apple says. And, of course, it connects magnetically, reducing the trip hazard.

However, unlike previous MagSafe-equipped Macs, the new MacBook Pro models can also charge via Thunderbolt 4. There's a total of three Thunderbolt 4 ports on the new machines.

The new MacBook Pro models come with a 67W USB-C power adapter for the eight-core M1 Pro and a 96W USB-C power adapter for the 10-core M1 Pro or M1 Max. They'll also ship with a braided USB-C to MagSafe cable, though users will be able to purchase a new one for $49.

Apple has yet to reveal charging differences between Thunderbolt 4 and MagSafe 3. However, at its Unleashed event Monday, Apple said that the new MacBook Pro models will support a Fast Charge feature that can deliver up to 50% battery life in just 30 minutes.

The new M1 Pro and M1 Max systems also deliver similar performance while on battery as they offer when plugged in, Apple said.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Actually only the 14” models come with a 96W adapter. The 16” models come with a 140W adapter. 
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 4
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    This is perfect - you can use a hub if you want and still have the convenience and safety of MagSafe. 

I'll probably do just that - leave a MagSafe cable in my bag for travel and plug the USB C cable from the hub on my desktop.
    williamlondonbadmonkstompywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 4
    The specs for the M1Max 16” MacBook Pro shows a 140W USB-C Power Supply. This power supply is also available as an accessory. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 4
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    escargot said:
    Actually only the 14” models come with a 96W adapter. The 16” models come with a 140W adapter. 
    Presumably a large chunk of the extra wattage is for fast charging, I hope a MacBook Pro under load can be powered and charged (even if it is slowly) by a dock that provides a lower charge.  My CalDigit TB3 can provide 85W.
    watto_cobra