iFixit calls Apple Self Service Repair program a 'total shift in perspective'

Posted:
in General Discussion
The repair and teardown experts at iFixit say they are "excited" about Apple's new Self Service Repair program, and called it a "remarkable concession."

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

Apple announced the program on Wednesday. Starting in 2022, it will allow consumers to purchase parts and tools -- including batteries, displays, and cameras -- so that they can repair their own devices.

Soon after, iFixit called the announcement a win for consumers.

"We're thrilled to see Apple admit what we've always known: Everyone's enough of a genius to fix an iPhone," wrote the team at iFixit.

Kyle Wiens, the founder and CEO of iFixit, also said that the new program represents a major shift in perspective for the Cupertino tech giant.

Apple's announcement may seem like a small thing: they're going to publish free manuals and sell parts to their customers. But it's a total shift in perspective. It's an agreement that this is a partnership. We're on Starship Earth together cruising through the universe together.

— Kyle Wiens (@kwiens)

The repair and teardown site said that it's hopeful Apple will provide the same level of information that it offers Apple Authorized Service Providers.

For years, Apple has fought against right to repair legislation in various U.S. states, arguing that opening up repairs could lead to security and safety risks for consumers. iFixit called Apple out on its reversal, stating that the move "invalidates many of the arguments Apple and other manufacturers have used against the right to repair."

The repair program will launch in early 2022 with parts for the iPhone 12 and iPhone 13 lineups. Eventually, Apple says that the repair program could apply to its M1 and Mac products.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    This is a game changer. Hats off to Apple.
    curiousrun8jas99
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Get ready for all the horror stories about shady repairs.  
    mike1pulseimagesbaconstangAnilu_777jas99viclauyycstevenozmcdavepscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 20
    I'll be hearing from my 'friends' a lot more...
    It's been kinda quiet since the iPod battery days.
    edited November 2021 williamlondonstompyjas99beowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 20
    XedXed Posts: 2,543member
    Here's what I think will happen: Apple will sell OEM parts that are more expensive* than the 3rd-party knock off parts that iFixit and others usually sell.  They will offer manuals for repairs, but repairing your own device will also void the warranty. These parts will also be marked as OEM but after market so they can keep a good record. Once you fuck up your own repair Apple will then know when you try to pass it off to them to fix.

* They are OEM parts so of course they should be more pricey.
    Fred257iOS_Guy80stompyjas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Gotta love iFixit.  Most folks just know them from their teardown videos but they also provide repair services and amazing tool kits for those that want to do their own work.    I use the repair kit tools for tons of things other than computers (just used some spudgers to get an odometer out of an old Porsche).   Kudo's to Apple for promoting self repairs, but there were always many of us that did this work once our devices were out of warranty.

curiousrun8MacsWithPenguins
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Xed said:
    Here's what I think will happen: Apple will sell OEM parts that are more expensive* than the 3rd-party knock off parts that iFixit and others usually sell.  They will offer manuals for repairs, but repairing your own device will also void the warranty. These parts will also be marked as OEM but after market so they can keep a good record. Once you fuck up your own repair Apple will then know when you try to pass it off to them to fix.

Weird thing is, third party screen repairs are actually more expensive than OEM. Apple’s price on screen replacement is $280, but the uBreakiFix chain charges $480 in my city. 
    viclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Xed said:

If it is already under warranty why would someone try to fix it themselves?
    baconstangwilliamlondonAnilu_777jas99muthuk_vanalingamstevenozpscooter63
  • Reply 8 of 20
    I believe the intelligent among us will buy AppleCare... and then replace/fix their hardware, if it becomes damaged.

I wish for you to stay safe, technically, as well as in other ways. Buy Apple and AppleCare, my advice.
    Anilu_777jas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Xed said:

What fantasy world do you live where a factory warranty covers accidental damage?

If, for example, you drop your iPhone and decide to do a screen replacement on your own you may very well fuck shit up. I've certainly torn internal ribbon cable in these very fragile internals. If you did that and then took it in with the new display to Apple to make a warranty claim that your display, or digitizer, or microphone, or FaceTime camera, etc. isn't working, Apple shouldn't be held responsible to replace a device that you've broken twice.

Additionally, iFixit sells the waterproofing gasket separately from the display. While I've always used them since they've been offered, I have no idea how well they work or how well they work in comparison to the factory seal. I can tell you that they are a bitch to put into position.
    edited November 2021 Anilu_777emoellerGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 20
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    Xed said:

Apple likely won't void the warranty unless the damage is relevant. Ye olde visual/mechanical inspection.

Consumers will need to buy the "fixtures" to remove the displays. That will cost a fair amount based on what they are listed for AASPs on consignment.

iFixit loves it because they will be able to buy the fixtures and re-use them. It has always felt like it was about their right to repair (and Louis Rossman's), not the consumers.
    williamlondonbaconstangjas99williamhemoellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Xed said:

Because they dropped it.
    AppleCare+ covers accidental damage, but the manufacturer's warranty never does.
    stevenozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 20
    I am sure Apple will supply their typical detailed documentation:
    Step1:   Remove the old screen
    Step2:   Insert the new screen

Conversely, Lenovo provided 45 pages of detailed instructions (all the way down to which screw goes into which hole) for my Thinkpad.   But Apple doesn't typically think that way.  They like to keep things simple -- as in the Atari's instruction manual for their game that influenced Steve:  "Avoid Klingons"
    edited November 2021 pscooter63
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Xed said:
     but repairing your own device will also void the warranty. 
    One report I saw said that Apple has said that they will not automatically void the warranty if one does the kind of self repair for which Apple is providing the tools, parts, and instructions.  I'm sure there will be plenty of caveats in whatever agreement one has to enter in order to get those tools, parts, and instructions, but that's a good sign. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 14 of 20

Consumers will need to buy the "fixtures" to remove the displays. That will cost a fair amount based on what they are listed for AASPs on consignment.

iFixit loves it because they will be able to buy the fixtures and re-use them. It has always felt like it was about their right to repair (and Louis Rossman's), not the consumers.
    Bottom line is the consumer will pay someone else to fix their device. I have changed screens of my iPhone 4. No matter how careful you are; it’s never an ideal repair and it’s time consuming. 
    GeorgeBMacmuthuk_vanalingamstevenozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 20
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    gerard said:

Bottom line is the consumer will pay someone else to fix their device. I have changed screens of my iPhone 4. No matter how careful you are; it’s never an ideal repair and it’s time consuming. 

And those are supposed to be the easy ones to change!
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Xed said:
     but repairing your own device will also void the warranty. 
    One report I saw said that Apple has said that they will not automatically void the warranty if one does the kind of self repair for which Apple is providing the tools, parts, and instructions.  I'm sure there will be plenty of caveats in whatever agreement one has to enter in order to get those tools, parts, and instructions, but that's a good sign. 
    That has been a longstanding rule and it was made official in 2017, as noted in the attached AI link. Of course, you can't damage the device and you need to use genuine OEM parts.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/17/02/24/third-party-iphone-screen-repairs-no-longer-void-warranty-apple-says
  • Reply 17 of 20
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Try breaking the seal on an engine to tinker and end up with engine problems. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 20
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    It's a great PR move.  The government gets of their back about monopolizing repair services, the 29 people who want to repair their own iPhones will be rejoicing, and the rest of the iPhone owners will not even notice.  Although Apple's bottomline will get hit by about 0.0000001%.
    edited November 2021 williamlondonGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 20
    tobiantobian Posts: 151member
    Get ready for all the horror stories about shady repairs.  
    But good bye to large scale AASPs dirty tricks, parts wastage, unqualified repair charges! Thank you Apple for allowing good independent technicians to help people without being part of this…. (with such selected companies)
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 20
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    “Everyone's enough of a genius to fix an iPhone”
    Er, no. They not. They’ll screw it up & blame Apple but not before they’ve bleated about how ‘the same parts’ are available at a fraction of the price from AliExpress…
    without QA…
    or Apple firmware…
    so they don’t work…
    which is Apple’s fault.
    pscooter63watto_cobra