Apple delays release of Universal Control for macOS, iPadOS until 2022

Posted:
in macOS
Apple has pushed back the launch date of Universal Control, a key feature of macOS Monterey and iPadOS 15, until Spring 2022.

Universal Control
Universal Control

In an update to Apple's macOS Monterey and iPadOS 15 feature pages on Monday, the company said that Universal Control will be "available this spring."

The feature, which lets users control multiple Mac and iPad devices with a single mouse and keyboard, was originally slated for a launch with the base versions of iPadOS 15 and macOS Monterey. However, in September, Apple delayed it until sometime in the fall of 2021.

It was, however, absent from beta versions of macOS 12 and iPadOS 15, as well as their subsequent point releases. The feature page update on Monday confirms that it won't arrive in 2021 at all, and instead in the spring of 2022.

Universal Control is a planned feature iPadOS 15 and macOS Monterey. It allows users to put three Apple devices in closes proximity, and use a single keyboard and mouse or trackpad. Once associated, a user can easily drag and drop files between devices and switch between them as needed.

By placing a second device near a compatible Mac, users will be able to pair devices together via Continuity features in the AirPlay & Handoff section under the Mac's settings.

A gray bar will appear on the side of paired devices. By dragging the cursor from one screen to another, users can "hand off" keyboard and mouse control to another device. This can be especially useful for dragging documents, files, and images between devices.

At the 2021 WWDC, Apple said that the devices are using proximity to determine how a user wants to connect. The user's behavior selects which side of the display the additional computer has been placed.

This orientation can be controlled in the Monitors control pane, but to what extent isn't quite clear yet -- and the feature has not yet been exposed in any beta to date.

The devices connect via a direct Wi-Fi signal. The UI of dragging objects across devices disguises the fact you're performing a simple AirDrop, but the result is the same.

Apple devices that will support Universal Control on iPadOS 15 and macOS 12

Supported Macs
  • MacBook (2016 onward)

• MacBook Air (2016 onward)

• MacBook Pro (2016 onward)

• iMac (2017 onward)

• iMac Pro

• Mac mini (2018 onward)

• Mac Pro
Supported iPads
  • iPad mini (fifth-generation and onward)

• iPad (sixth-generation and onward)

• iPad Air (third-generation and onward

• iPad Pro
Users will need to be signed onto all devices via iCloud with the same Apple ID. Devices will need to have Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and Handoff turned on, and must be within 30 feet of each other.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    This feature Sounds like it would tough to test and develop remotely. Looks like they are waiting until they return to in person work to release it. 
  • Reply 2 of 8
    genovelle said:
    This feature Sounds like it would tough to test and develop remotely. Looks like they are waiting until they return to in person work to release it. 
    Uh… why?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Even though I'm looking forward to this feature, I'm glad Apple is delaying it until all kinks are worked-out. There's nothing worse than having half-baked software to contend with. 
    bala1234
  • Reply 4 of 8
    ...if local 'devices in proximity' why does this require iCloud login / tethering on all devices...?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 8
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    ...if local 'devices in proximity' why does this require iCloud login / tethering on all devices...?
    To make sure you own/possess all the devices.

You don’t want the guy at the next table in StarBucks pulling files off your iPad.
    williamlondonkdupuis77tokyojimufastasleep
  • Reply 6 of 8
    This concept sounds like the movie Minority Report where Tom Cruise was grabbing and wiping pictures and documents between adjacent screens and onto portable tablets, walking over to a big display and throwing the content up there. Heck we already have the "Minority Report" mega trackpad for swiping gestures all we need to round it all out is an Apple PowerGlove (R) lol. We're almost there... combine some needlessly-transparent LCD displays (already being sold now, but big $$$) and perhaps some holograms too!

For reference:

The scariest thing I'm waiting for are the eyeball-scanning-personalized ads being plastered anywhere... You know they're doing that haha.
    edited December 2021
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Bah .. I use the same feature between my Two mac and my PC with the flow control from Logitech : after starting the flow Control, my mouse can go on every machine and automatically activate my keyboard. I can copy, paste, drag and drop any files or folder .. Keyboard : MX Keys and Mouse MX Master 3. As more than often now, Apple is late ...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    badmonk said:
    To make sure you own/possess all the devices.

You don’t want the guy at the next table in StarBucks pulling files off your iPad.
    I'm not sure it is technically necessary from a security model perspective alone but it could be that the model Apple uses requires it.

It's been a couple of years since I read through the HarmonyOS security model for example which is a mix of old, well trusted concepts with newer ideas.

Generally speaking, an internet connection may 'slow' things down a bit.

I"m currently evaluating a switch to HarmonyOS for IoT use and it looks like device recognition and communication is very fast and tipped to get faster.
    edited December 2021