OLED iPad panel production could start on Wednesday

Posted:
in iPad
The iPad Air could arrive with an OLED display quicker than first thought, with a report predicting production using the display technology could start on Wednesday.

On Tuesday, it was claimed that Apple was considering launching an iPad with a Samsung-produced display by 2024, via screen supplier Samsung. In a new report about LG Display, another Apple supplier, it seems that the potential for an OLED iPad is growing.

The report by ETNews about LG Display's expansion plans for its OLED plant in Paju includes a reference to iPads. Specifically that "it is predicted that OLED application to iPads will also begin in two days," referring to production, but stayed light on details.

It was thought in September 2021 that Apple had canned a project with Samsung about an OLED display for the 2022 iPad Air, with it ending over cost, brightness, and durability problems. The intention was to update the iPad Air before doing the same to the iPad Pro in 2023.

In January, the project was apparently revived, but with the addition that Samsung would have to receive a sufficiently large order for panels from Apple to make it financially viable. Apparently, Samsung reckoned it could reduce the cost of production if it could obtain new machinery.

Monday's LG story centers around the Paju plant, which is used to make small and medium-sized OLED panels. Small and medium-sized panels are used for the production of smartphones and tablets, such as the iPhone and iPad.

As part of a KRW 3.3 trillion ($2.8 billion) investment plan, LG Display aims to add core equipment to double OLED production capacity by 2024, with a view to supplying Apple's OLED needs.

In December, reports stated that LG Display had won a proportion of orders for LPTO TFT OLED displays for the "iPhone 14" away from Samsung. LG is also reportedly working on new monitors, seemingly based on existing Pro Display XDR and iMac sizes.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Every time OLED screen  in watches,phones,tablets,laptops,monitors,TVs come up; lingering question is screen/pixel "burn-in" effect. Do people see it or it is just Samsung's marketing offense to look LG bad ?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    wood1208 said:
    Every time OLED screen  in watches,phones,tablets,laptops,monitors,TVs come up; lingering question is screen/pixel "burn-in" effect. Do people see it or it is just Samsung's marketing offense to look LG bad ?
    I think like a lot of technologies, burn in was an issue early on.  As the panels have gotten better and the software that "refreshes" the pixels has also improved, its become less and less of a concern.  While I don't think I would use an OLED as a monitor at this point, I would have no concern as a TV, iPhone or (hopefully) iPad.  For me the benefits outweigh the concerns.  Also, Samsung has a new panel tech called QD OLED, which sounds like just another marketing label but is actually significantly different from Samsungs/LG's older WOLED tech.  Instead of a RGBW sub pixel array, it simply uses a Blue sub pixel array with a Quantum Dot layer that filters that blue light to the needed color.  The result is supposed to be a brighter and truer color because you are eliminating the need for the white sub pixel that was used to boost the brightness on WOLED's.  I can't say if it will have an effect on burn in over time, but apparently the sub pixels don't have to be pushed as hard as standard WOLED and have an expected longer lifespan while still having improved brightness.  I am hoping Samsung is making these panels at smaller sizes and not just focusing on TV's.
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Also, Samsung has a new panel tech called QD OLED, which sounds like just another marketing label but is actually significantly different from Samsungs/LG's older WOLED tech.

I saw LTT's video on that one.  Looks pretty amazing.  Won't be cheap, but hopefully a couple of years and economies of scale kick in sooner rather than later.