Apple replacing 13-inch MacBook Pro with 14-inch 'M2' model, leaker says

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2022
In late 2022, Apple is rumored to replace the current 13-inch M1 MacBook Pro with a new 14-inch model sporting an upgraded chip that's slightly more expensive.

14-inch MacBook Pro
14-inch MacBook Pro

The new 14-inch MacBook Pro will sport an "M2" chip and will arrive in the second half of 2022, reputable leaker DylanDKT said on Monday. In a subsequent tweet, DylanDKT added that the device will have the same design as the M1 Pro and M1 Max 14-inch model.

The currently available M1 MacBook Pro 13 will be replaced with a MacBook Pro 14 with an M2 chip in the 2H of 2022. It will receive a slight price increase over the previous generation. Alongside this release time frame, we will receive the redesigned M2 MacBook (Air).

-- Dylan (@dylandkt)

Alongside the new 13-inch MacBook Pro model, Apple will also release a new MacBook Air equipped with the same M2 chip, the leaker added.

The 13-inch MacBook Pro with an M1 was first released in November 2020. Alongside the Mac mini and the MacBook Air, it was one of the first Mac models to be powered by a Apple Silicon chipset.

Unlike the current M1 Max and M1 Pro models, the 13-inch device features a similar design to previous Intel MacBook Pros.

It isn't clear if the 13-inch model will come equipped with a broader range of ports like the 14-inch MacBook Pro, but a larger I/O selection remains an option if the new model will sport the same design.

Earlier in January, reports claimed that a new MacBook Air model will have a "marginally faster" M2 chip. The M2 chip is expected to have a 10-core GPU, though upgrades to its CPU count or speed are unclear.

Back in October, DylanDKT also detailed the "M2" MacBook Air, claiming that it would sport a more squared-off design like M1 Pro or M1 Max models. The leaker has a solid track record of releasing accurate information about future Apple products.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    This makes sense, particularly if the base 14” has the additional ports and the redesigned MacBook Air does not, as it will be a bigger differentiator. While I’d like to see the M2 MacBook Air get a bit lighter, that doesn’t seem likely.
    patchythepiratemangakatten
  • Reply 2 of 39
    I don’t get why Apple just doesn’t make a thin version of the MacBook Pro, call it MacBook, and get rid of the Air at this point. 
    toddzrx
  • Reply 3 of 39
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,810member
    I don’t get why Apple just doesn’t make a thin version of the MacBook Pro, call it MacBook, and get rid of the Air at this point. 
    I believe the MacBook Air is their best selling laptop so getting rid of that would be silly. 
    patchythepirateraybobala1234tenthousandthings
  • Reply 4 of 39
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    The rumor for the next MBA is a more squared off and thinner design. So, pretty darn close to a thin MBP14/16, but with 13.3" display. What they brand it, who knows. Either way, if it has a 13.3" display and is priced from $1000 to $1500, it will sell. The name won't matter much. They really need to hit a $1000 price point with a 13.3" display.

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't hit the $1000 price point and keep the M1 MBA around for that $1000 price point though.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 5 of 39
    tht said:
    The rumor for the next MBA is a more squared off and thinner design. So, pretty darn close to a thin MBP14/16, but with 13.3" display. What they brand it, who knows. Either way, if it has a 13.3" display and is priced from $1000 to $1500, it will sell. The name won't matter much. They really need to hit a $1000 price point with a 13.3" display.

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't hit the $1000 price point and keep the M1 MBA around for that $1000 price point though.
    Ah, that makes sense.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    If the Macbook Air is getting 2 sizes an one matches the 14 inch what minus notch or including notch. What would be the other size?

Return of the 11inch at 11.6.
    Seem to me you'd have to say with notch. 11.6 plus notched menu bar could be called MacBookAir12 and 13.3 plus notched menu bar could be called MacBookAir14. 
  • Reply 7 of 39
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Does an M2 MBP really need all the bulk & the display of the current 14” version? Would a split processor generation product range make sense?

Lose the Air and stick with MacBook for 14” entry level machine add silver & space grey to the colour range. Simplify.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    It's time for 14" Macook Air. Keep it simple and cheaper.
    toddzrx
  • Reply 9 of 39

"Air" is a *MASSIVE* brand mark for Apple.  It's been around forever, it's across many products now, and don't forget, nearly all PC laptops sold are now "Ultrabooks" and "Ultrabook" derivatives/descendants, all of which are a knee-jerk reaction to the MacBook Air.     The Air changed everything.  It's no wonder that Apple killed the regular MacBook moniker and kept the Air name once before.   I'm sure they'll retire the Air for Macs, at least, one day, but ...respect.
    williamlondontenthousandthingstwokatmew
  • Reply 10 of 39
    Reading between the lines of that tweet, I think that means the redesigned Air will have colors.

Further, an entry-level MacBook Pro that gets the next generation of M silicon as soon as possible, before the M2 Pro and M2 Max are ready, is an interesting idea. I’ll guess there are a lot of people who could use the XDR display and other features of the Pro design, but don’t really need the higher-end SoCs. So this would cater to them.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    mcdave said:
    Does an M2 MBP really need all the bulk & the display of the current 14” version? Would a split processor generation product range make sense?

Lose the Air and stick with MacBook for 14” entry level machine add silver & space grey to the colour range. Simplify.
    The 14" is barely larger than the 13" by a fraction of an inch all around with about .5 pounds more in weight. The only way to get rid of the bezel was to increase the screen size. I suspect everything will be identical to the 14" except that it will be thinner and absent the elevated feet for cooling, thus enabling it to be almost exactly the same volume and weight as the 13".  Look at the dimensions, they are almost exactly the same size, but it's that additional volume for the additional battery space which adds the weight. They can simply lighten it by reducing the depth and the battery capacity, which will not be needed for the base M2.

The Air on the other hand will lose the bezel by shrinking the case, which means the speakers will have to be above the function keys or somewhere else, which should work since there is no fan and little if any heat. The air will then be very close to the former 12" MacBook in size.
    edited January 2022 twokatmew
  • Reply 12 of 39
    This news doesn't make any sense to me. What do they mean by replacing? Apple already sells a 14" MacBook Pro. So to me this is just a discontinuation of the MacBook Pro 13". I have waited years for a MacBook 14" but this new model is a complete disappointment. It's ugly, I'll never buy a 2k+ laptop with screen that has a lego brick size dent right in front of your eyes, it's ugly as hell and it's the most ridiculous design decision Apple ever made, it's heavy and clumsy. If the upcoming air is with a 13" screen and dent I'll be perfectly happy with the latest Intel 16" MBP for the next 10 years.
    williamlondontoddzrx
  • Reply 13 of 39
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    rune66 said:
    This news doesn't make any sense to me. What do they mean by replacing? Apple already sells a 14" MacBook Pro. So to me this is just a discontinuation of the MacBook Pro 13". I have waited years for a MacBook 14" but this new model is a complete disappointment. It's ugly, I'll never buy a 2k+ laptop with screen that has a lego brick size dent right in front of your eyes, it's ugly as hell and it's the most ridiculous design decision Apple ever made, it's heavy and clumsy. If the upcoming air is with a 13" screen and dent I'll be perfectly happy with the latest Intel 16" MBP for the next 10 years.
    The following 13" model at $1299 with touchbar 8GB/256GB would become a 14" with M2, likely without touchbar but still with 8GB/256GB:

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/13-inch

The 14" starts at $1999 with 16GB/512GB:

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/14-inch

Take that 14", subtract 8GB RAM ($200), 256GB SSD ($200) and M1 Pro chip ($300) = $1299. It may start a bit higher though.

The notch can be hidden pretty easily:

https://topnotch.app
    roundaboutnowwilliamlondontwokatmew
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Marvin said:
    rune66 said:
    The following 13" model at $1299 with touchbar 8GB/256GB would become a 14" with M2, likely without touchbar but still with 8GB/256GB:

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/13-inch

The 14" starts at $1999 with 16GB/512GB:

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/14-inch

Take that 14", subtract 8GB RAM ($200), 256GB SSD ($200) and M1 Pro chip ($300) = $1299. It may start a bit higher though.

The notch can be hidden pretty easily:

https://topnotch.app
    Thx - Still looks like a discontinuation to me, and then they add a cheaper option to the existing 14" line.

Topnotch is another bad solution for a terrible design decision. I'm a Mac user for 30+ years. I like to keep the menu bar in it's original color. To be forced to change the menu bar color to black to avoid seeing an eyesore is beyond what I can accept on a +2k machine. And BTW that fat menu bar with extra height is a disgrace to Mac OS :-)

If I could live with something it would be SwitchResX where you can disable that top 72 pixels al together and get what I would consider a standard, beautiful Mac OS screen 
    williamlondonpatchythepirate
  • Reply 15 of 39
    The leaker is confused. Apple is not selling MacBook Pro M1. Apple calls it MacBook Air. 
  • Reply 16 of 39
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    The leaker is confused. Apple is not selling MacBook Pro M1. Apple calls it MacBook Air. 
    Wrong again.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 17 of 39
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    Would be nice to see MBA’s in 12 and 14 inch versions, along side 14 and 16 inch MBP’s. Make a low end 14 inch MBP that has a base M2 chip and starts at $1500 along with less RAM and storage but all the ports. Keep the Airs thin with a base M2 and less ports. Seems that would simplify the lineup to make it easier for the uninitiated to make a choice.  
  • Reply 18 of 39
    crowley said:
    Wrong again.
    Have you checked Apple.com? The 13" Mac is called MacBook Air. There is not Pro. 
  • Reply 19 of 39
    crowley said:
    Wrong again.
    Have you checked Apple.com? The 13" Mac is called MacBook Air. There is not Pro. 
    https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro-13/ https://appleinsider.com/inside/13-inch-macbook-pro
  • Reply 20 of 39
    crowley said:
    Wrong again.
    https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro-13/ https://appleinsider.com/inside/13-inch-macbook-pro
    So Apple kept two 13" models for sale?