Apple shatters its own holiday financial record, hitting $123.9 billion in revenue on the ...

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2022
Apple's hardware and services generated $123.9 billion in revenue for the first quarter of 2022, breaking not just its own holiday quarter records, but beating Wall Street consensus as well.

Announced on Thursday ahead of Apple's customary analysts call, Apple's revenue of $123.9 for the quarter ending December 2021 equates to a year-on-year annual growth/decline from the then-record-setting $111.4B reported one year ago. Apple's earnings per share is $2.10 for the quarter, up from $1.68 in the Q1 2021 results.

The gross margin for the quarter of $54.2 billion is up from one year ago's figure of $44.3 billion, and operating expenses of $12.7 billion are up from the year-ago $10.8 billion. Net Profit is pegged at $34.6 billion, also up from $28.8 billion in the same quarter last year.

The quarter's results follows the excellent $83.4 billion in revenue seen in Q4 2020.

The Wall Street consensus for the quarter predicted that Apple would report revenue of $118.3 billion and an EPS of $1.89 for Q1 2022.

"This quarter's record results were made possible by our most innovative lineup of products and services ever," said Apple CEO Tim Cook. "We are gratified to see the response from customers around the world at a time when staying connected has never been more important. We are doing all we can to help build a better world -- making progress toward our goal of becoming carbon neutral across our supply chain and products by 2030, and pushing forward with our work in education and racial equity and justice."

The holiday quarter, as usual, benefitted from numerous product launches that took advantage of the holiday sales period. This includes the Apple Watch Series 7, third-generation AirPods, the 14-inch MacBook Pro and 16-inch MacBook Pro, new color options for the HomePod mini, and the infamous Apple Polishing Cloth.

Launches from the previous quarter are also great contributors to Apple's revenue, with Q1 being the first full quarter of availability for them. This includes the headline iPhone 13 generation, as well as the ninth-generation iPad and the sixth-generation iPad mini.

Apple's iPhone brought in $71.6 billion in revenue during the December quarter, up from $65.5 billion in the year-ago quarter. The new revenue was likely driven by iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro models despite ongoing supply constraints.

Mac revenues also rose year-over-year to $10.8 billion, up from $8.6 billion the year prior. On the other hand, iPad revenue dropped from $8.4 billion in Q1 2021 to $7.2 billion in Q1 2022.

The company's Wearables, Home, and Accessories segment reached $14.7 billion in revenue, up year-over-year from $12.9 billion. The company's Services revenue also increased significantly to $19.5 billion from $15.7 billion in the year-ago period.

Apple's Board of Directors declared a cash dividend of $0.22 per share payable on Feb. 10, 2022. Shareholders of record at the close of Feb. 7, 2022 will receive the payout.

As usual for Apple's quarterly results since the outset of the pandemic, Apple has declined to offer detailed guidance in its quarterly results, so it is unknown if the figures meet or exceed the company's own expectations. While such details aren't provided, some color will be provided by Cook and CFO Luca Maestri during the earnings call.

Read on AppleInsider
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    This is just insane numbers.  Just wow.  

Just goes to show that all the Apple-haters and iTrolls have zero clue as to why Apple is so successful.  
    hydrogenRudolfGottfriedlordjohnwhorfinlkrupppatchythepiratemacxpress9secondkox2red oakbadmonkStrangeDays
  • Reply 2 of 55
    4.7% revenue beat and an 11.6% earning beat and the stock is just up 2.5% (at the moment) in after hours.  This is while still being down more than 12% from all time highs less than a month ago.
    edited January 2022 jas99patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 55
    Obviously more evidence that Apple is  D O O M E D
    lordjohnwhorfinsconosciutolkruppbaconstangbyronljeffythequickwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 55
    jas99jas99 Posts: 148member
    4.7% revenue beat and an 11.6% earning beat and the stock is just up 2.5% (at the moment) in after hours.  This is while still being down more than 12% from all time highs less than a month ago.
    I agree with the sentiments. 

Apple has no competition. Microsoft makes some of the world’s worst software and hardware. 

Honestly, Apple should be at $500 per share and Microsoft should be out of business.
    h2ppatchythepiratewaveparticle9secondkox2Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 55
    jas99 said:

Apple has no competition. Microsoft makes some of the world’s worst software and hardware. 

Honestly, Apple should be at $500 per share and Microsoft should be out of business.
    One reason why Microsoft is involved with cloud services and is getting more into gaming their Xbox is a phenomenal franchise.
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 55
    narwhalnarwhal Posts: 119member
    jas99 said:
    Microsoft's market cap is due to its Azure and Office businesses, not Windows or Surface. Microsoft doesn't really compete with Apple.
    shareef777sconosciutojony09secondkox2byronlmichelb76PERockwellentropysStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 55
    “The beleaguered computer maker”
    ”Ever since Jobs died Apple stopped innovating”
    ”Tim Cook is just a bean counter”

And Apple Silicon just got started. Meanwhile, check out Microsoft’s own ARM silicon efforts and Intel’s next gen core i9 processors. Oh, and Musk’s new robot? Are you frackin kidding me?
    sconosciutotmayjony0lkruppbaconstangbadmonkStrangeDaysfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 55
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Just once, I'd like to hear Tim open the call with: "Apple is pleased to report it made a metric fucktonne of money."
    dewmeDAalsethsconosciutolarryjwramanpfaffbyronlfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 55
    ...emoji sure seem profitable...
    ...the bigger question to me is do mac users really want reinventing (and paying for) workflow changes and the debugging annually to contribute to such numbers...?
    Vertical apps I license have narrowed sanctioned functionality to single versions of macOS (monterey remains unsupported), and if apps don't align what then...?
    Are some now better off shareholders than mac professionals day to day...?
    edited January 2022
  • Reply 10 of 55
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    eightzero said:
    Just once, I'd like to hear Tim open the call with: "Apple is pleased to report it made a metric fucktonne of money."
    I don’t normally go along with such jocularity, but yes, yes I would too…
    sconosciutowatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 55
    I've been 100% all-in with Apple for 20+ years, but I must admit I'm getting tempted to consider Microsoft's Game Pass. And that might mean I'll have to buy either an Xbox or a Windows OS. So if someone like me is thinking of moving away from Apple, that can't be a good sign for Apple's future.
    sconosciutolkrupp
  • Reply 12 of 55
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Stock price isn’t hard pegged to revenue you know, even theoretically.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    $200 here we come

On October 6, 1997 Michael Dell said of Apple, "I'd shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders," before a crowd of several thousand IT executives.

https://www.cnet.com/news/dell-apple-should-close-shop/

On that day, AAPL was worth $0.18 per share. AAPL closed at $159.22 or merely 88,355% higher at today's close, just prior to the Q1 '22 earnings report.

If you'd bought both a crystal ball and AAPL on 10/6/97 and sold around three weeks ago at the stock's all-time high of $182.94, the return would have been 101,533.33%.

#gloating
    edited January 2022 patchythepirateJapheyneil andersonpscooter63Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 55
    I've been 100% all-in with Apple for 20+ years, but I must admit I'm getting tempted to consider Microsoft's Game Pass. And that might mean I'll have to buy either an Xbox or a Windows OS. So if someone like me is thinking of moving away from Apple, that can't be a good sign for Apple's future.
    gotta admit, they had us in the first half
    edited January 2022
  • Reply 15 of 55
    after hours activity is rather unreliable (though, as I write this at 6pm EST, AAPL is up 5% now). I've seen AAPL soar well beyond the after-hours figures the day after an earnings report, and I've seen it open at 'meh' and completely disregard the prices paid for it during after-hours activity.

If I could bet on how AAPL end on Friday when the markets open, I think it could top the 5% figure by a half-point.
    neil andersonramanpfaffwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 55
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    gotta admit, they had us in the first half
    not gonna lie
    sconosciuto
  • Reply 17 of 55
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most Mac (don't know about iPhone or Apple Watch or Apple TV or iPad) owners don't play a lot of games.

Too bad it's Microsoft and not Apple that's buying ABK.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 55
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,036member
    So are you going to give up your iPhone when you switch to a PC or buy and Xbox? (I'm assuming 100% all-in Apple means you're not using an Android phone.) If not, then it's not a problem for Apple's future. Apple iPhone revenue is 7x that of Mac revenue. And I'm pretty sure iPhones gross margin is much higher, than that of Macs. 

If playing games on your computer is the main reason you use a computer, then you should have switched to a PC over a decade ago. However playing game is something you do every once in awhile, just to kill time or for a little entrainment, then by all means buy an Xbox (to get Microsoft Game Pass) and you can keep on using your Mac. (For the money, an Xbox is much more powerful than a PC at the same price.) So why would you have to leave Apple, when you buy an Xbox? Is there some hidden rule than in order to own an Xbox, one must own a PC? Do you have problem chewing gum and walking at the same time? 
    hexclockpatchythepiratebaconstangTuuborwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 55
    Apple has been dying of the same heart attack since 1984  :D
    jas99StrangeDayspscooter63Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 55
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    jas99 said:

What does Microsoft have anything at all to do with Apple’s quarterly earnings? Apple and Microsoft have both moved far beyond the Mac vs PC television commercial era. Both companies are doing exceptionally well for their shareholders. They are the top two most valuable companies in the world. Why on earth should a company that is nipping on Apple’s heels, and sometimes surpassing them, be out of business? That’s honestly a ridiculous and nonsensical statement. Take a peek at Microsoft’s latest blowout quarterly earnings. Despite the claims of Windows being on death’s doorstep, its OEM  licensing revenue was up 25%. 

Zero sum game thinking no longer applies to Apple vs Microsoft. In fact it hasn’t applied since long before Ballmer's departure, despite Ballmer trying to keep that torch burning long beyond it having fuel to sustain the illusion. Fortunately for Microsoft’s current stakeholders, Satya Nadella harbors no such silliness and has moved Microsoft in a direction that allows Microsoft to control its own destiny, just like Steve Jobs and Tim Cook have done for Apple. 

Apple and Microsoft have moved on. So should we.
    AniMillmuthuk_vanalingamAlex_VfirelockPERockwellneoncatthtpscooter63jeffythequick