Secret CIA program may have breached Americans' privacy

Posted:
in General Discussion
US Senators have accused the CIA of gathering mass amounts of data in a secret program that operates outside of the law. However, the scope of the program and types of data collected are unknown.

A secret CIA program is collecting American's data
A secret CIA program is collecting American's data

Senators Ron Wyden and Martin Heinrich sent a letter to the CIA, which was declassified but partially redacted on Thursday. It stated that the CIA had been allegedly operating outside of laws passed by Congress under the authority of Executive Order 12333 to collect bulk data. President Reagan signed the Executive Order in 1981 to govern intelligence community activity.

"It has done so entirely outside the statutory framework that Congress and the public believe govern this collection, and without any of the judicial, congressional or even executive branch oversight that comes with FISA collection," the letter stated, referencing the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA). "This basic fact has been kept from the public and from Congress. Until the PCLOB report was delivered last month, the nature and full extent of the CIA's collection was withheld even from the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence."

The Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board (PCLOB) also had a report declassified by the CIA, which provided recommendations about the secret program. PCLOB urges the CIA to require agency analysts to justify data searches on US citizens. According to their report, the only warning agency analysts get is an easily dismissed pop-up box.

According to coverage from The Hill, CIA privacy and civil liberties officer Kristi Scott provided a statement on the matter.

"CIA recognizes and takes very seriously our obligation to respect the privacy and civil liberties of US persons in the conduct of our vital national security mission," Scott said, according to the AP. "CIA is committed to transparency consistent with our obligation to protect intelligence sources and methods."

The Senate members believe that the declassified documents "reveal serious problems associated with warrant less backdoor searches of Americans." This echoes the concern Americans have about their privacy and civil liberties regarding how the CIA handles data collection. As a result, senators Wyden and Heinrich are both pressuring the CIA to have more transparency about the data collected and the process of using that data.

The CIA have run into issues with their data collection and security surrounding it before. In 2017 the CIA "Vault 7" where hacking tools were stored was leaked online.

Read on AppleInsider
byronl

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Shocking. Not
    rob53williamlondonMisterKitbaconstang
  • Reply 2 of 27
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Ya, think? Nothing surprising here. And the only reason I’m not losing any sleep is that there are no consequences. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 27
    byronlbyronl Posts: 363member
    the cia has been evil af for a century now 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 27
    When did it happen?

Because love letters with foreign leaders fall under the CIA mandate. It can be compromising for the security of the nation, same as dismissing your own intelligence services in favor of foreign masters.

edited February 2022 viclauyycbaconstangscstrrf
  • Reply 5 of 27
    byronl said:

Nope!!
    mike1williamlondon9secondkox2
  • Reply 6 of 27
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,254member
    byronl said:
    CIA was officially organized in 1947 but it wouldn’t surprise me if a similar, covert organization was organized by Ben Franklin while he was in France. The criminally organized FBI has long term roots as well. It’s sad we feel we have a right to spy of our citizens. 
    williamlondonfred1byronl
  • Reply 7 of 27
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    byronl said:

Well yeh, like the army, that's what we pay them for.   They aren't supposed to be nice guys.  They are supposed to be mean, nasty guys on our side.

But this could open a gigantic can of worms:   Like it or not, we live in a global world now and boundaries are grey and nebulous in many, many areas (manufacturing, politics, education, etc....).   So, how does an agency charged with spying on foreign actions block out internal actions?

A recent example was Trump's interactions with the Russians in 2016:  that was spotted by agencies tracking the Russians.   Trump accused them of spying on him.  Maybe they were.   But more likely he simply got caught up in surveillance of foreign enemies.

Very simply:  you can't tap just one side of a phone call.
    on the other hand:
    Could this agency have been spying on American politicians because they didn't approve of their politics?
    ...  It wouldn't be the first time:  Hoover showed us how it is done.

As always, it boils down to people.  Rules and laws can establish and enforce guidelines.  But ultimately it depends on people, their values and their integrity.  
    edited February 2022 gilly33rob53mike1baconstang
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Worse than Google ? No, I can't believe it ....
  • Reply 9 of 27
    1348513485 Posts: 349member
    byronl said:
    CIA founded in 1947. OSS, the precursor, founded in 1941.
    scstrrf
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Where Carrie from Homeland when you need her? 😂
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Where Carrie from Homeland when you need her? 😂
    She is in Russia now doing freelance for CIA. 
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Sounds like the latest version of TIA...
  • Reply 13 of 27
    I trust the CIA more than I trust:

Facebook
    Russia
    China
    Trumpublicans
    North Korea 
    Saudi Arabia 
    ….. actually it’s a long list 
    9secondkox2viclauyycbadmonk
  • Reply 14 of 27
    blastdoor said:

Facebook
    Russia
    China
    Trumpublicans
    North Korea 
    Saudi Arabia 

We (along with Colin Powell, George Bush, congress and most media) trusted them in 2001-2003.  It's estimated that 400,000 people died from trusting them -- along with spawning ISIS -- and let's not mention the trillions we spent fighting and occupying a peoples who never did us any harm.

It was clear afterwards that the CIA had been seeded with those who favored a particular course of action and they did whatever they had to do to insure that course of action happened.  And those who spoke against them were punished -- the most notable of which was the Valerie Plame affair that resulted from her husband questioning the official line from the CIA.

Any agency or organization is only as good as the people running it.

byronl9secondkox2viclauyyc
  • Reply 15 of 27
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,320member
    blastdoor said:

Facebook
    Russia
    China
    Trumpublicans
    North Korea 
    Saudi Arabia 

We (along with Colin Powell, George Bush, congress and most media) trusted them in 2001-2003.  It's estimated that 400,000 people died from trusting them -- along with spawning ISIS -- and let's not mention the trillions we spent fighting and occupying a peoples who never did us any harm.

It was clear afterwards that the CIA had been seeded with those who favored a particular course of action and they did whatever they had to do to insure that course of action happened.  And those who spoke against them were punished -- the most notable of which was the Valerie Plame affair that resulted from her husband questioning the official line from the CIA.

The CIA did not lead poor naive peace-loving George bush into a war. That’s one crazy rewrite of history.

Don’t get me wrong — I don’t unconditionally love the CIA. But there are much worse things. 

EDIT — and I totally disagree with your bolded statement. When Donald trump was president, nearly every federal agency was better than the person running the government. And those folks worked hard to save this country. 
    edited February 2022 9secondkox2muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Actually the maintenance staff at the White House was more qualified....
    GeorgeBMacviclauyyc
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Speaking of China lol..
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 18 of 27
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,262member
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:

Facebook
    Russia
    China
    Trumpublicans
    North Korea 
    Saudi Arabia 

The CIA did not lead poor naive peace-loving George bush into a war. That’s one crazy rewrite of history.

Don’t get me wrong — I don’t unconditionally love the CIA. But there are much worse things. 

EDIT — and I totally disagree with your bolded statement. When Donald trump was president, nearly every federal agency was better than the person running the government. And those folks worked hard to save this country. 
    Bang up job they have done, “saving the country”. What a joke. You can’t possibly think we are better off now than we were before. Sure Trump was abrasive but who really cares? This current admin has botched EVERYTHING they have touched. November can’t come fast enough. At least we can get free crack pipes now. 
    edited February 2022 9secondkox2
  • Reply 19 of 27
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:

Facebook
    Russia
    China
    Trumpublicans
    North Korea 
    Saudi Arabia 

Bush & Company kept up a steady stream of "Intelligence shows that Iraq has WMDs" -- and Colin Powell even supplied pictures.  It didn't ALL come from the CIA -- other intelligence services were involved as well.

But. after the fact, it was revealed that political plants in those agencies pushed the lies and anybody in those agencies who opposed it were bullied into silence.

The same went on under Trump.  The fact that some were able able to not completely succumb doesn't change that.  They were being infiltrated with political loyalists pushing their agenda and trying to stifle opposing voices speaking truth to the lies.

We had thin a line of patriots (and some who just felt it was going to far) opposing the political plants -- and they barely held on to save the nation and its democracy.  Bill Barr is one of the ones who went above and beyond to push the lies -- but he drew the line at supporting a coup.
    viclauyyc
  • Reply 20 of 27
    hexclock said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:

Facebook
    Russia
    China
    Trumpublicans
    North Korea 
    Saudi Arabia 

Bang up job they have done, “saving the country”. What a joke. You can’t possibly think we are better off now than we were before. Sure Trump was abrasive but who really cares? This current admin has botched EVERYTHING they have touched. November can’t come fast enough. At least we can get free crack pipes now. 

Got any more conspiracy theories to share?  They're hilarious!