Volvo transforms car servicing by giving engineers Apple Watches

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    johnrlott said:
    johnrlott said:
    You mean the Chinese car company Volvo, right? Volvo is out need by China and China as shifted most of the engineering work from Sweden to China. Many parts are now made in China and shipped to Sweden for assembly. 

Besides that, why would anybody but a ChinaHater care?
    The point was just accuracy: the article called it a Swedish company. The company is owned by the the Chinese, not any one in Sweden, and much of the design and production now occurs in China. The final assembly of the cars (not all the trucks) takes place in Sweden, but that is about it. Does that make it a Swedish company.?

Good point.   But still, who cares?
    Wasn't Volvo owned by an American company previously?
    edited February 2022
  • Reply 22 of 24
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    johnrlott said:
    Here are a few examples. I have a relative who was involved in auto regulation in the Swedish government 

Volvo invests in a new laboratory in Shanghai - Electric Motor Engineering
    batteries and electric engine motors designed and built in China.
    https://www.electricmotorengineering.com/volvo-invests-in-a-new-laboratory-in-shanghai/

even by early 2014, Less tan 4 years after merger major engine plant for Volvo was finishing being built in China. 
    Volvo has launched manufacturing in China and a Chinese engine plant is almost done. 
    https://www.engineering.com/story/what-happened-to-volvo-engineering-and-plm-under-chinese-ownership

The merger with the Chinese company Greeley has also had a significant effect on design resources a as operations have been “streamlined.”

Volvo building trucks in China, engineers also there
    I happen to work for one of Volvo Cars many subcontractors, doing development and engineering, in Sweden, so I can say the majority is definitely _not_ in China. And, you really need to do your homework on this topic, Volvo Trucks is not even the same company... :-)
    GeorgeBMacnicoteo
  • Reply 23 of 24
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    johnrlott said:
    johnrlott said:
    You mean the Chinese car company Volvo, right? Volvo is out need by China and China as shifted most of the engineering work from Sweden to China. Many parts are now made in China and shipped to Sweden for assembly. 

Besides that, why would anybody but a ChinaHater care?
    The point was just accuracy: the article called it a Swedish company. The company is owned by the the Chinese, not any one in Sweden, and much of the design and production now occurs in China. The final assembly of the cars (not all the trucks) takes place in Sweden, but that is about it. Does that make it a Swedish company.?
    Volvo Cars (which is, again, not the same company as Volvo Trucks) is publicly traded, but with the majority of the stock controlled by Geely (a Chinese company). Volvo Car is headquartered in Sweden, has a Swedish CEO, designs and develops in Sweden, manufactures all over the world. Is Apple an American company?
    GeorgeBMacnicoteo
  • Reply 24 of 24
    The 2019 Volvos, at list the V models, have own wifi with own SIM card but ALSO through iPhone hot spot AND full connection with Bluetooth. But still the CarPlay is only tethered with wired USB.
    In my opinion, it will need a wireless iPhone charging for wireless CarPlay, cause if one is like me who is using navigator all the time, the iPhone power would drained very quickly.
    watto_cobra