Apple's Mac Studio launches with new M1 Ultra chip in a compact package

Comments

• Reply 61 of 155
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    auxio said:
    Needed: way to use an old 27-inch iMac as a display for the Mac Studio. 
    What model is it?  You might be able to use target display mode.
    Not with an Apple Silicon Mac. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 155
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

What year? I use my 2009 27” iMac as an external display for my M1 mini. I believe models up until 2014 can be used in Target Display mode. Just need a TB3 to Mini DisplayPort adapter.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 155
    sunman42sunman42 Posts: 262member
    lkrupp said:
    Okay, so there were two statements made that sealed the fate of the larger iMac. The first was that the Mac Studio and Studio display were the perfect for 27” iMac users. The second statement was at the very end when he said there was only one Mac left to transition, the Mac Pro.

So, there will be no iMac Pro, no iMac with a larger screen. The 24” iMac is it. The Mac Studio is the future and I’m okay with that.

Sounds exactly right. The heat dissipation in the Midi, er, Studio clearly dictated the height of the enclosure, and that, in turn, meant there was no way they could fit the same cooling capacity into an M1 Double Wide, er, Ultra-powered 27 (or larger)-inch iMac and still retain a slim profile. Unless with some future generation of M<something> chips Apple manages to achieve even higher performance with less heat generation.
    williamlondonfastasleepargonautcgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 155
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    JinTech said:
    dk49 said:
    At the end when he said we have one more but that’s for another day and said the Mac Pro… so this studio isn’t going to be their biggest powerhouse but merely a stepping stone.. What the hell will the new Mac Pro be packed with??

2 x M1 Ultra or 4 x M1 Ultra
    By this rate, we will see the new Mac Pro by WWDC. 
    Almost certainly, the Pro will be at WWDC. At least I know it's nothing I'm going to be able to afford.

Could have the M2 by then, which could have additional interconnects. But even if it's just bigger Ultras, or multiple Ultras., it's going to piss on the competition.
    williamlondonargonautcgWerksJinTechwatto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 155
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Wow.... this is finally what I've been waiting for from Apple!
    Need to start saving... I'm going to be broke for a while.

Actually, the Max based Studio is pretty nice and at a good price-point. It would make a good replacement for my mini i7/eGPU (software compatibility aside). But, I think I'd be sad, long-term, if I don't go for Ultra. (Please, please someone write a native Metal crypto-miner. That would speed up my adoption rapidly!)
    edited March 2022 dewmeargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 155
    mjtomlin said: Very true they could at some point release a larger iMac, they can always change their mind, But John did say there was only one Mac left to transition; the Mac Pro. That would imply everything coming along through the transition is done, leaving the 27” iMac behind.
    27" iMac isn't a separate line of hardware like the Mac Pro. iMac was already updated to M1, but that doesn't mean iMac will never have a screen larger than 24". IMO, this is more of a maximize-near-term-sales approach for the Mac Studio and Studio Display. 
    Thanks for the lifeline, Forgie. I’ve been geezering along with a 2015 27” iMac that takes 7 minutes to boot with Big Sur. Always been tempted to jump to the new 24” iMac but would very much like a bigger screen, more connectivity w/o a hub. Since I always get in the slowest line at the supermarket I’m betting that as soon as I buy a 24” M1 iMac they’ll announce a chipped-up newer version. Or… I wait. 
    edited March 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 155
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Mac mini: max 8 cores and 8GB or 16GB memory, starting at AUD$1099
    mac studio: max 20 cores and 128GB memory, starting at AUD$3099

Max configuration Mac mini 8 core CPU, 8 core GPU, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSD AUD$2599
    minimum Mac studio M1 max 10 core CPU, 24 core GPU, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD for AUD$3099. Increase to AUD$3999 to spec up to 2TB SSD.

I think I would go the minimum spec mac studio and add external storage.
    cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 68 of 155
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 604member
    So it looks like a Studio with an M1 Max configured same as a MBP is £1000 cheaper, so that £1000 gets you a very nice screen and portability.

I do wonder if an M1 Max in a Studio will perform better than an M1 Max in a MBP due to being able to be fed more watts.. 

It’s nice that there is a 20 CPU core option with 48 GPU cores for those of us more concerned with CPU performance - going from 48 GPU cores to 64 GPU cores seems pricey.

We all knew that Apple Silicon was going to put an end to the cheap RAM options we had in old iMacs.

I think the release of these new Macs explains why the M1 Max chips (and thereby MBPs) have been so constrained in recent months.
    cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 69 of 155
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    crowley said:

The Mac Studio starts from $1,999 with M1 Max, $3,999 with M1 Ultra.
    That UltraFusion interconnect must cost a pretty penny to make sense of those prices.
    Actually, not really. 

M1 MAX is expensive and the cost doubles for every additional chip so it's actually reasonable. 
    williamlondonfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 70 of 155
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,139member
    Just so frustrating for a person looking to replace their 27-inch iMac.
    iMac is under $3K. And memory can be upgraded.
    Studio + Studio is closer to $4.5K. But, you do get more cables.

... and the last aluminum  27" Cinema / Thunderbolt displays offered access to 'the integration that users love' @ $999 ...
    aderutterentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 155
    mjtomlin said:
    So... there won't be a 27" iMac at all??  :o

That’s what I got out of it… This is replacing the larger iMac.

Makes me wonder if the iMac and mini will now get an M1 Pro option?
    I hope so. That mini would be my sweet spot and i was kind of hoping it would appear. Seems a hole in their pricing. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 72 of 155
    crowley said:
    mjtomlin said: Very true they could at some point release a larger iMac, they can always change their mind, But John did say there was only one Mac left to transition; the Mac Pro. That would imply everything coming along through the transition is done, leaving the 27” iMac behind.
    27" iMac isn't a separate line of hardware like the Mac Pro. iMac was already updated to M1, but that doesn't mean iMac will never have a screen larger than 24". IMO, this is more of a maximize-near-term-sales approach for the Mac Studio and Studio Display. 
    27" iMac no longer listed on the Apple Store.  It's gone unless Apple u-turn.
    Releasing an M series iMac with a larger screen wouldn't be a u-turn. It would just be an expansion of the M series iMac lineup. 
    williamlondonargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 73 of 155
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 528member
    Get an M1 mini and the Studio display. 
    RudeBoyRudywatto_cobra
  • Reply 74 of 155
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    briceio said:

Same here... sad cause I was looking to update my M1 Mini but the M1 Max isn't great enough - I already have a 5950X on the side with much more GPU power - and the M1 Ultra is way overpriced.
    There's a difference between being overpriced and too expensive for you.

williamlondonfastasleepargonautJinTechpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 75 of 155
    briceiobriceio Posts: 8member
    mike1 said:
    briceio said:

Same here... sad cause I was looking to update my M1 Mini but the M1 Max isn't great enough - I already have a 5950X on the side with much more GPU power - and the M1 Ultra is way overpriced.
    There's a difference between being overpriced and too expensive for you.

No too expensive for me, but might be overpriced for my expected workflow: I'm a game dev and at this point I don't know how it will compare to a, let's say, a RTX 3090.
    williamlondoncgWerks
  • Reply 76 of 155
    At the end when he said we have one more but that’s for another day and said the Mac Pro… so this studio isn’t going to be their biggest powerhouse but merely a stepping stone.. What the hell will the new Mac Pro be packed with??

and in case you missed it. when announcing the new M1 chip it was notably introduced as "we're adding one more chip to the M1 family"

Sooooo....
    edited March 2022 netroxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 77 of 155
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    Once I needed to add a second display to my 27” iMac I could never see myself going back for another iMac. The iMac started out as a lower tier product with lots of utility but limited expandability. The current 24” iMac fills that role nicely. The iMac Pro never made sense to me. Seemed like a gap filler to patch over Apple’s embarrassing foot dragging with the Mac Pro roadmap, which stalled and stumbled for too long. 

The Mac Studio is the small (enough) form factor beast I’ve always dreamed of and I could not be more excited to see it finally arrive. Just gotta figure out how to pay for it. 

The price-performance of the Studio is probably going to push the lowest end of a new Mac Pro way up into the stratosphere. 
    edited March 2022 cgWerkspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 78 of 155
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    I think they just set the stage for M series SOC upgrades. Probably every 24 months.
    When the time comes all 4 M1 versions will become M2 at the same time or as their respective products are upgraded.
    So, I'm thinking the Mini will probably updated again next year as an M2 and the others will follow.
    cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 79 of 155
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    mjtomlin said:

What year? I use my 2009 27” iMac as an external display for my M1 mini. I believe models up until 2014 can be used in Target Display mode. Just need a TB3 to Mini DisplayPort adapter.
    Weird. Why does Apple say this, then?

• The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 80 of 155
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    An amazing system. I can’t justify spending money on that much power, but I’m glad we finally have the really powerful headless Mac we’ve wanted for decades. 

I’m really curious though as to what’s inside the box. I’m very interested when iFixit does a teardown.
    edited March 2022 williamlondoncgWerkswatto_cobra