iPhone 14 may still use A15, Pro models move to A16 says Ming-Chi Kuo

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2022
The iPhone 14 range may introduce a major split in specification between the models, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, with the Pro models upgrading to the A16 chip while the non-Pro versions stay on the A15 Bionic.

Renders of the
Renders of the "iPhone 14"

The iPhone has existed with two tiers of models for some time. However, while differences in size, construction materials, and camera features have been the main differences so far, 2022 could introduce performance differences.

According to TF Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, Apple will continue to perform its annual chip upgrade, but only for the Pro models. For the second of two tweets on Sunday, Kuo says "Only two Pro models would upgrade to the A16 processor," while the non-Pro versions "will remain the A15."

If true, this would be a major departure for the iPhone lineup, as Apple's flagship devices typically use the same A-series chip across the entire generation.

Only two Pro models would upgrade to the A16 processor, while the 14 & 14 Max will remain the A15. All four new models will likely come with 6GB RAM, with the difference being LPDDR 5 (14 Pro & 14 Pro Max) vs. LPDDR 4X (14 & 14 Max). https://t.co/tHcszIz6gX

-- (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo)

Furthermore, while Kuo believes all models will have 6GB of memory, the Pro models will use LPDDR5 and the non-Pro will use LPDDR 4X. LPDDR5 typically has a higher data rate than LPDDR4X, as well as power savings of around 30%.

The tweet was the second by Kuo for the day, with the first suggesting Apple will change the naming convention and sizes for the 2022 range. While the Pro models would be the "iPhone 14 Pro" and "iPhone 14 Pro Max," the non-Pro would be known as the "iPhone 14" and "iPhone 14 Max."

The sizes will also apparently be similar, with 6.1-inch displays for the normal-sized versions, 6.7 inches for the Max variants of both tiers.

Other rumors about the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro include using a hole-punch camera instead of a notch, the removal of a camera bump, and the use of 48-megapixel camera sensors.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    That account is probably apple behind the scenes trolling the community. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    Considering that this year's Apple a14 still outperform the latest Snapdragon, I am not surprised about this possible change. After all, I don't think you'd need more speed unless you have specific needs that require a lot of processing. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    This could make sense if Apple wanted to direct new process node capacity towards fab’ing the M2.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    mjtomlin said:
    This could make sense if Apple wanted to direct new process node capacity towards fab’ing the M2.
    Even more, sense, if the A16 rumoured, is M2 with only 6 Cores. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    I somewhat doubt that a new iPhone to be released in October will share the same processor as the recently announced budget iPhone SE.
    mike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    AngmohAngmoh Posts: 25member
    This does not seem to make sense: using 2 different processors complicates engineering, increases SW effort and complicates the supply chain. It seems to me a very un-Apple move. All that for a tiny cost saving and a marketing nightmare.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Angmoh said:
    This does not seem to make sense: using 2 different processors complicates engineering, increases SW effort and complicates the supply chain. It seems to me a very un-Apple move. All that for a tiny cost saving and a marketing nightmare.
    Apple have been shipping and supporting more than one processor for many years now.  They currently sell the iPhone 11, 12 and 13, which use three different A# processors, and iOS 15 supports back to the iPhone 6S.  It's a break from the established pattern, but not at all un-Apple. 

That said, I can't imagine Apple would do this without good reason.  Perhaps an expected supply constraint?  Not all that convincing.  Ming-Chi Kuo seems to be erratic with his predictions recently, maybe his sources have changed or aren't as reliable as they were.
    muthuk_vanalingammike1
  • Reply 8 of 13
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Probably just the mini.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 621member
    Angmoh said:
    Milking the chips is a smart strategy. Also, if you need a new iPhone you will buy what is available.

• Reply 10 of 13
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Angmoh said:

I don't believe this rumor either, but not for this reason. Apple has had multiple processors in play for many years. There's always an older iPhone available for sale when new models are launched. Various iPads, Apple TV and even the original HomePod used older processors, even when they were launched.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Doesn’t make sense. If true, why did the new SE use the current chip? Why now the change? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    This could be a move Apple is making now that they are starting to feel The pinch from the chip
    Shortage.  

They already have contracts established for the A15. We don’t know what the cost increase for the A16 is,
    Apple is probably limiting the A16 to the pro models for the iPhone Pro in order to maintain a low price for the regular IPhone. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13
    ajminnjajminnj Posts: 40member
    I don’t see them keeping an A15 in the iPhone 14. What I would believe however is the iPhone 14 get an A16 and the iPhone Pro 14 gets a M processor. This would line up with the iPad line where the Consumer iPads (iPad,iPad Mini) have an A13/A15 and the Professional iPads (iPad Air, iPad Pro) have a M1. 
    watto_cobra