Arizona is first state to launch drivers' license in Apple Wallet

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2022
Arizona residents can now add their drivers' license, or state ID, to Apple Wallet, which lets them use an iPhone, or Apple Watch, to check in at selected TSA checkpoints.

As Apple continues to discuss bringing digital drivers' licenses to US states, Arizona has become the first to take the system live for its residents.

"We're thrilled to bring the first driver's license and state ID in Wallet to Arizona today," said Jennifer Bailey, Apple's vice president of Apple Pay and Apple Wallet, in a statement, " and provide Arizonans with an easy, secure, and private way to present their ID when traveling, through just a tap of their iPhone or Apple Watch."

"We look forward to working with many more states and the TSA to bring IDs in Wallet to users across the US," she continued.

The feature does not require users to update iOS. It's not known whether the function works on iOS versions before the latest iOS 15.4, but it is enabled by Apple.

While it is currently only accepting Arizona state ID, the function appears to now be visible in Wallet for all US users. If a user is an Arizona resident, they can open the Wallet, tap the + sign and then choose Drivers' License or State ID.

They are then prompted to scan the ID, both front and back.

At launch, Wallet can be only be used at an unspecified number of TSA security checkpoints at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.

Apple also announced that the states of Colorado, Hawaii, Mississippi, Ohio, and the territory of Puerto Rico plan to bring the technology to its residents. This is in addition to seven other states that Apple previously announced.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 693member
    No way would I show my iPhone to any policeman or security guard.
    Beatsbonobobwilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 29
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 933member
    Appleish said:
    There‘a the watch feature plus Apple has a restricted access feature where the only thing available is that one app, nothing else, so general access to the rest of the phone is blocked. 

And a Wallet contained license is displayable from the Lock Screen. 

edited March 2022 stompyBeatsronnkurai_kagewilliamlondonmknelson
  • Reply 3 of 29
    dkhaleydkhaley Posts: 57member
    A dystopian novelist might write that in 2022, brainwashed humans began carrying a microchip that they must present to authorities on demand. (I'm not saying this is in fact the case, but it's a perspective).
    bonobobwilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 29
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,291member
    Appleish said:

Not a problem if it doesn't leave my possession. Like at an airport check in.
    edited March 2022 JFC_PAwilliamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Appleish said:
    I have used my iPhone to present airline tickets to TSA as well as to the gate agent for several years. The phone doesn’t get unlocked and never leaves my hands. I don’t see how this would be any different except adding an extra swipe so I can present both. 

Can you explain your hesitation?
    ronnboxcatcherkurai_kagewilliamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Out come the Tin Hats. 

Xedlkrupppayecojony0ronnboxcatcherwilliamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 29
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,730member
    Appleish said:
    And yet people post every intimate detail of their lives on social media.  Now that is something I'd never do.  Showing a license from the lock screen on my phone without handing it over... not a problem.
    Xedlkruppjony0macseekerboxcatcherwilliamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 29
    And done. It was a very quick process to add this to my phone's wallet. Photos of the ID, several selfies within the wallet app to verify who I am, and submit. Three minutes later, my watched notified me that the state had approved my submission and I can now use it.
    stompyozpeterronnkurai_kagewilliamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 29
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Appleish said:
    Are you one of those Sovereign Citizens we see on YouTube videos yammering about the Articles of Confederation as the cop breaks your window and yanks you out of your car?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 29
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,026member
    I am curious how the photo of the individual is displayed. Working in the service industry, checking IDs is a hassle because of a lot of fakes. This would help prevent any of that, so long as the individual shows you opening Apple Wallet and it's not a Photoshop job.
    boxcatcher
  • Reply 11 of 29
    JinTech said:
    I am curious how the photo of the individual is displayed. Working in the service industry, checking IDs is a hassle because of a lot of fakes. This would help prevent any of that, so long as the individual shows you opening Apple Wallet and it's not a Photoshop job.
    Just added mine to Apple Wallet. What the ID looks like in Apple Wallet is NOT what my physical ID looks like. Its almost like the Apple Card in that there's no information on it. Its holographic, says Arizona in the top left, has a cactus and some mountains in the background and has my first name and last initial. State of AZ seal in the bottom right. NO OTHER INFORMATION is displayed.

Tapping on the three dots in the top right brings up a prompt to Call AZ Dept of Transportation and visit their website. There's also a Remove this Drivers License and Drivers License info with a > menu. Tapping on Drivers License Info immediately runs FaceID - THEN I can see text fields with my ID information on it, and a selfie I had to take during the set up process. Name, address, phone, height, weight, age, expiration date, class, etc etc. are all there. Nothing that isn't already on the license is there.

Looks like tapping on the license in my wallet opens up NFC and would allow me to 'scan' in where available to verify my ID at the airport or bar.

If my phone is locked and I double tap the side button like I do for Apple Pay, I can choose the license by swiping the default credit card away. I select the license and there is the normal prompt "hold near reader". I cannot swipe out of the wallet into the rest of the phone - similar to using ApplePay. The only way to get to the DL info is to unlock the phone, tap wallet, hit the dots, and FaceID authenticate.

How this will work with a police officer pulling you over? Not sure. I would HOPE they simply have an NFC reader that verifies my ID and then I can hand them my insurance card, or show them my insurance card stored in AppleWallet. Typically officers want to go back to the patrol car and run your ID through the system - so that I would be hesitant of, and will carry my physical ID until I learn more about how that all works. But Ill absolutely use this at Phoenix Sky Harbor airport next time I fly. My boarding pass is already in Apple Wallet, so why not my ID.
    Beatsronnkurai_kage
  • Reply 12 of 29
    602warren said:
    JinTech said:
    If my phone is locked and I double tap the side button like I do for Apple Pay, I can choose the license by swiping the default credit card away. I select the license and there is the normal prompt "hold near reader". I cannot swipe out of the wallet into the rest of the phone - similar to using ApplePay. The only way to get to the DL info is to unlock the phone, tap wallet, hit the dots, and FaceID authenticate.

How this will work with a police officer pulling you over? Not sure. I would HOPE they simply have an NFC reader that verifies my ID and then I can hand them my insurance card, or show them my insurance card stored in AppleWallet. Typically officers want to go back to the patrol car and run your ID through the system - so that I would be hesitant of, and will carry my physical ID until I learn more about how that all works. But Ill absolutely use this at Phoenix Sky Harbor airport next time I fly. My boarding pass is already in Apple Wallet, so why not my ID.
    I’m curios to know how it would work for a traffic stop as well, but it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if that won’t really be a thing yet. Apple says it will work at TSA checkpoints but I can’t recall them saying anything  regarding use with police. Still, it’s good to know and reassuring that accessing the license is very similar to using Apple Pay and doesn’t require unlocking, just authentication.
    602warrenwilliamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 29
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Out come the Tin Hats. 

Generally, police are terrible people. That’s not a “tin hat” but a real concern.

we weren’t afraid of the McDonald’s employee when Apple Pay released. 
    bonobobwilliamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Appleish said:
    That's not the way it works.

Any "authority" simply has an NFC device that reads your ID like a merchant's NFC reader reads your credit card in ApplePay. The token that's transferred to them then displays your ID info that's *already* in your state's database on *their* device.
    edited March 2022 williamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 29
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    JinTech said:
    Teenagers everywhere will be jail breaking their phones to load fake IDs into the Wallet app. 😆
    williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 29
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,965member
    Would rather have my car key in my phone than my license. Use that more often. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 29
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,127member
    Appleish said:
    That's not a problem because, as stated clearly in the article that you did not read, it can "only be used at an unspecified number of TSA security checkpoints at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport."
    ronnboxcatcherwilliamlondon
  • Reply 18 of 29
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,127member
    Out come the Tin Hats. 

The average cop is a lying sack of immoral dung. But feel free to hand over your unlocked phone on demand. 
    bonobobwilliamlondon
  • Reply 19 of 29
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,914member
    For most non-criminal citizens, showing driver license or state id or passport on locked iPhone is none issue instead very convenient. Where required, If you don't show your ID on iPhone than you have to show physical version. When your iPhone is with you all the time than why carry physical wallet.
    One day we all will have credit cards,membership cards,driver license, passport and other ids in our iPhone wallet. Now a days I hardly take out my credit card to pay instead use iPhone wallet.

edited March 2022 williamlondon
  • Reply 20 of 29
    swat671swat671 Posts: 150member
    I don’t see the option. I wonder if it because I’m in California… And I’m also surprised CA isn’t on the list, since we’re the state where Apple is based. 
    williamlondon