Apple AirTag anti-stalking features aren't working in a lot of cases

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2022
Apple AirTags comes with anti-stalking mechanisms for user safety, but a new police report analysis indicates that they aren't working as expected all of the time.

AirTag anti-stalking
AirTag anti-stalking

In a new report Wednesday, Motherboard shared the results of an analysis of 150 police reports across a recent eight-month period. Of those reports, less than half dealt with robbery or theft. The rest detailed harassment or stalking of women using an Apple AirTag.

According to the publication, the women that were being stalked called the police in 50 cases because they started receiving anti-tracking notifications iPhones. In other cases, the women found AirTags hidden in their vehicles or heard the device beeping.

Most of the cases involved former partners and exes. Many of the former significant others were identified because they started showing up in the same places as the women they were stalking.

Electronic tracking isn't a new phenomenon -- and it didn't start with AirTag by any means. According to domestic violence community educator Mary Beth Becker-Lauth, location-based stalking is "as old as GPS technology itself."

More than that, Apple's AirTags come with anti-stalking features with the aforementioned notifications and beeping. Competitors like Tile trackers, which have been around for years, have only recently been outfitted with similar safety mechanisms.

According to Electronic Frontier Foundation cybersecurity director Eva Galperin, the uptick in reports of AirTag stalking don't mean that the devices are spurring a rise in stalking cases. Instead, the reports suggest that Apple's protections are working.

"So, yes, we did understand from the very beginning that this was going to be a major problem," said Galperin. "But part of it I think is just reflected in the fact that stalking is a major problem. And that having the AirTag alert go off is actually something that a person can bring to the police as solid evidence, which sometimes they otherwise do not have."

However, those notifications are only helpful when they work -- and the Motherboard report suggests that there are many cases when they don't. Apple's AirTags can also make stalking easier, since they rely on the AirTag network that pings nearby Apple devices that have Bluetooth enabled to triangulate the location of a tracker.

Apple has since announced a slate of additional features and changes to its AirTags meant to cut down on abuse.

Becker-Lauth added that police also have a responsibility to take stalking cases seriously. The onus is not on Apple alone to fix the problem. It will take a collaboration between tracker manufacturers, public safety organizations, and others to find a solution, believes Becker-Lauth.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Kill the product, own it as a mistake, and work with Google on a solution to digital stalking that works across both platforms for as many tracking devices as possible.

Can't believe Apple were so stupid as to think this was a path worth walking.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    kelemorkelemor Posts: 29member
    crowley said:
    Kill the product, own it as a mistake, and work with Google on a solution to digital stalking that works across both platforms for as many tracking devices as possible.

Must own stock in tile
    lkruppStrangeDaysmike1applguystompymwhitebyronlwatto_cobralollivertokyojimu
  • Reply 3 of 29
    kelemor said:
    crowley said:

Must own stock in tile
    Nil points.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 29
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    "The onus is not on Apple alone to fix the problem. It will take a collaboration between tracker manufacturers, public safety organizations, and others to find a solution, believes Becker-Lauth.”

Any technology can be used for both good and evil (nuclear energy is the prime example). Tracking technology and associated hardware is not going away, even if it’s banned. Stalking has been part of the human condition since our 
    ancestors stood upright. Jealousy, passion, hatred are great motivators to do evil.

And by the way, there is no ’solution’ to the problem, only measures to limit it. 
    edited April 2022 StrangeDaysronnwatto_cobrakurai_kagejony0pscooter63
  • Reply 5 of 29
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    crowley said:

Terrible take. Building a product w/ Google wouldn't somehow magically alter human psychology and prevent criminal users from doing the exact same thing. Or using Tile or Samsung devices which didn't even have anti-stalking features until after Apple lead the way, per usual. Or the plethora of personal GPS trackers which certainly don't and won't ever.

I love my AirTags. I misplace my keys all the time, and there's no way I would give up the value-add. I've lost jackets in the past too and that's a thing of the past.

As the article's EFF member said, that women are becoming aware of their stalkers is a positive sign.
    ronnapplguyradarthekatwatto_cobralolliverkurai_kagejony0pscooter63Dogperson
  • Reply 6 of 29
    samrodsamrod Posts: 60unconfirmed, member
    crowley said:

Knives, guns, baseball bats, and cars are often used as weapons. Computers and phones are used by criminals to commit a wide variety of crimes. 

Unless you're trolling, I don't understand your logic. Why kill a successful product because it's abused by only a fraction of a fraction of users?
    ronnradarthekatwatto_cobralolliverjony0Dogperson
  • Reply 7 of 29
    crowley said:

Terrible take. Building a product w/ Google wouldn't somehow magically alter human psychology and prevent criminal users from doing the exact same thing. Or using Tile or Samsung devices which didn't even have anti-stalking features until after Apple lead the way, per usual. Or the plethora of personal GPS trackers which certainly don't and won't ever.
    You misunderstand.  I don't want them to work with Google to build another AirTag-like hardware product to track us, I want them to work with Google to build an approach to dealing with devices that track us, via software.  i.e. not an iOS feature that detects AirTags that are close by for a while, but doesn't see Tile, or a Tile app that doesn't see AirTags, but a cross platform operating system feature that detects all wireless transmission devices that are close by, AirTags, Apple Watches, Tiles, GoogleTags, SamsungTags, GPS trackers, whatever.

The entire point is getting a handle on the situation for all devices.
    zimmie
  • Reply 8 of 29
    samrod said:
    crowley said:

Knives, guns, baseball bats, and cars are often used as weapons. Computers and phones are used by criminals to commit a wide variety of crimes. 

Unless you're trolling, I don't understand your logic. Why kill a successful product because it's abused by only a fraction of a fraction of users?
    Because the abuse massively outweighs the benefit.  A million people being able to find their keys a bit easier is no tradeoff for a single person being stalked.
    M68000
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Let’s say they were working, there is a flip-side to stalking. What if the person who finds out that their is an AirTag traveling with him or her is not being stalked by is a thief? In that case, Apple should make it clear that they would assist authorities in revealing the identity of the person the AirTag was traveling with at the moment it was discovered. At thief would likely destroy or disable it.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    This clickbait title was the last straw. I am taking the site out of my RSS feed. 
    watto_cobralolliverchasm
  • Reply 11 of 29
    jcohjcoh Posts: 23member
    This clickbait title was the last straw. I am taking the site out of my RSS feed. 
    My thoughts exactly.   The article actually shows why AirTags are the better alternative when it comes to anti stalking.    The article should be titled. AirTags the only tracking device that out of the gate built in features to mitigate stalking everyone else play catch-up or does nothing. 
    watto_cobralolliverchasmDogperson
  • Reply 12 of 29
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    crowley said:
    samrod said:
    crowley said:

Because the abuse massively outweighs the benefit.  A million people being able to find their keys a bit easier is no tradeoff for a single person being stalked.
    So ban gps, cellular and anything else that can find your location.  AirTags just make it a little easier, but also easier to discover.  There are more stalkers out there that use current technology to stalk their victims.  None of them will report back to the victim that they are being tracked.  

As far as Google goes, your information is for sale from them, so any stalker can pose as a merchant and purchase the info from Google if you know how.

The best way to resolve this is to educate the public on how you can be tracked and what to do if you suspect it happening.
    edited April 2022 watto_cobralolliverjony0Dogperson
  • Reply 13 of 29
    crowley said:
    samrod said:
    crowley said:

I'm curious if you read the actual Verge article vs. the AppleInsider version of what the original article said? If you haven't read the full thing I'd recommend it. While it may not change opinion it's probably worth reading as AI has someone managed to get several things wrong in their synopsis. The most glaring thing being the headline, that claim was never made in the original article. 
    watto_cobralolliverronntokyojimuforegoneconclusionkurai_kagejony0pscooter63
  • Reply 14 of 29
    XedXed Posts: 2,568member
    crowley said:

While Google is an expert in digital stalking, it's not the kind of expert that Apple needs.
    Soli
  • Reply 15 of 29
    crowley said:
    samrod said:
    crowley said:

You sound like George now. Sad. Can you show us where "the abuse massively outweighs the benefit"?

I personally have 4 and know many people with them who have not suffered any abuse. In fact, I just bought 4 more that I need to set up. Of course, my anecdotal evidence does not negate others being abused by passive technology, but you claimed that it massively outweighs so let's see the evidence to back that up. But if you're really going down that rabbit route should we also ban the Apple Watch, iPhone, Mac, and any other Appel tech that has shown that it occasionally be used by bad actors for nefarious reasons? Seems ridiculous to suggest such a thing, but that's just me.
    SoliDetnator
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Xed said:
    crowley said:
    samrod said:
    crowley said:

You sound like George now. Sad. Can you show us where "the abuse massively outweighs the benefit"?

I personally have 4 and know many people with them who have not suffered any abuse. In fact, I just bought 4 more that I need to set up. Of course, my anecdotal evidence does not negate others being abused by passive technology, but you claimed that it massively outweighs so let's see the evidence to back that up. But if you're really going down that rabbit route should we also ban the Apple Watch, iPhone, Mac, and any other Appel tech that has shown that it occasionally be used by bad actors for nefarious reasons? Seems ridiculous to suggest such a thing, but that's just me.
    It's an opinion dude, and the second sentence is my reasoning.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    As far as Google goes, your information is for sale from them, so any stalker can pose as a merchant and purchase the info from Google if you know how.
    Google do not sell your GPS coordinates to merchants, don't be ridiculous. Google sell targeted ad space.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    crowley said:
    Xed said:
    crowley said:
    samrod said:
    crowley said:

There was a report recently of someone putting an Apple Watch on a car to track someone, and we've heard about other connected devices, like the iPhone to track people, but your claim is that all the benefits are pointless reasons for these devices to exist is a single person could be stalked with them. Um, no.
    Soli
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Xed said:
    crowley said:
    Xed said:
    crowley said:
    samrod said:
    crowley said:

There was a report recently of someone putting an Apple Watch on a car to track someone, and we've heard about other connected devices, like the iPhone to track people, but your claim is that all the benefits are pointless reasons for these devices to exist is a single person could be stalked with them. Um, no.
    No, my opinion is what I said.  Don't alter my words.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    Stalking did not start with AirTags.
    Apple has revealed how bad stalking really is and where the police aren’t doing there jobs.
    hammeroftruthjony0pscooter63