Surfshark, TurboVPN and more are secretly undermining security

Posted:
in General Discussion
Six major Virtual Private Network firms have been shown to be installing root certificates that could open up users' computers to surveillance.

In a similar way to Apple's iCloud Private Relay, VPNs are intended to protect users by routing all data through a trusted service that encrypts personal information. Six of the best-known VPN firms, however, have now been shown to be doing this in a way that could be compromised.

According to TechRadar, the six were uncovered by security research firm AppEsteem. Each installs a trusted root certificate authority (CA) on users devices, and it's this that can be risky.

"Installing trusted root certificates isn't good practice," said Mike Williams, security expert at TechRadar. "If it's compromised, it could allow an attacker to forge more certificates, impersonate other domains and intercept your communications."

It means that even if a user is using a service that is itself encrypted, the VPN provider and potentially bad actors, could overwrite that encryption and intercept all data.

The six VPN vendors reported to be doing this are:
  • Surfshark

• Atlas VPN

• VyprVPN

• VPN Proxy Master

• Sumrando VPN

• Turbo VPN
Surfshark and Atlas VPN are now merging with NordVPN, but Nord Security is not one of the firms listed as installing the certificate.

A spokesperson for Surfshark has responded to TechRadar, claiming that the issue has been addressed, although only referring directly to Windows.

"[We've] closely cooperated with [AppEsteem] in quickly fixing the highlighted issues," said the spokesperson. "All of them have already been fixed and all Windows users should soon receive an updated version of the app."

While the Mac is not mentioned, the spokesperson described other efforts that will help Apple users.

"Also, we've been working on turning off the no longer popular IKEv2 protocol and focusing all our efforts on supporting Wireguard and OpenVPN protocols," continued the spokesperson. "This will eliminate the need to install the certificate."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    jeromecjeromec Posts: 192member
    Had a Surfshark subscription.

They insisted on keeping my credit card data or wanted to cancel the service I had already paid for.
    Although I had disabled auto-renewal.

Their "support" team is deaf and helpless.

I am not surprised they have other bad habits.

Stay away from Surfshark.
    magman1979scstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    Has anyone regularly used iCloud Private Relay?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    marc gmarc g Posts: 65member
    I’ve used iCloud private relay since it became available. While I wouldn’t typically use it by itself, I’m slightly less concerned by the fact that I canceled my previous VPN subscription and haven’t chosen a new one yet. 
  • Reply 4 of 10
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    As I keep saying, there's nothing private about most of these "VPN" services. They are proxies which use VPN technologies for the client-to-proxy leg of the connection.

With most, you are exchanging snooping from your telco for snooping from Belarusian companies and telcos. Not exactly an upgrade in privacy.
    magman1979StrangeDaysscstrrfappleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,112member
    I got an Express VPN subscription a few years ago to use my movie streaming services for a few weeks in a foreign country. After I signed up, they demanded a scan of my driver’s license, but I protested like crazy and they eventually said they didn’t really need it, it had just been a mistake on their part. That was creepy enough that I have been leery of VPNs ever since. 
    scstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    When I am out, I VPN back to my home network, and go out from there. With a 2 Gbps symmetrical connection at home, it works pretty well. Yeah I know my ISP can see all my traffic, but I consider that better than some unknown (to me) VPN host. Otherwise, I use private relay, though that only works with Safari. 
    edited April 2022 scstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    zimmie said:
    As I keep saying, there's nothing private about most of these "VPN" services. They are proxies which use VPN technologies for the client-to-proxy leg of the connection.

With most, you are exchanging snooping from your telco for snooping from Belarusian companies and telcos. Not exactly an upgrade in privacy.

Would that include Proton VPN?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    dcgoo said:
    When I am out, I VPN back to my home network, and go out from there. With a 2 Gbps symmetrical connection at home, it works pretty well. Yeah I know my ISP can see all my traffic, but I consider that better than some unknown (to me) VPN host. Otherwise, I use private relay, though that only works with Safari. 
    2Gbps symmetrical to your home?!?!  I am SO jealous!  I would be happy if I could get 10% of that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    zimmie said:

This.  Security at its root is all about trust.  I don’t trust any of these vpn services.  I’d rather the internet provider just see all the traffic.  That’s is not to say I don’t/won’t use vpns.  They make sense when both sides of the connection can be trusted, like connecting to work to access resources on the network there.  Or when I’m out and about, I have a personal vpn server at home I use to get access to things there.  Poking a hole in the firewall for a vpn is a whole lot safer than poking a hole for each and every resource I want to access away from home.  I trust the encryption behind several vpn softwares, but I don’t always trust what’s at the other end unless I know what’s there.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Here's a possible solution... Winston Privacy - a mesh network which routes your internet traffic via various peers. It adds a bit of latency and increases your overall internet usage, but certainly helps to obfuscate your web browsing.
    watto_cobra