PPC 970 date?

Comments

• Reply 281 of 344
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Actually, if memory serves, the IBM release that touted speeds up to 2.3GHz still mentioned a 900MHz bus.

Who knows if that PDF were telling the truth? It might not be, and if im not mistaken, the PDF also never mentioned anything about the bus being fixed at 900 Mhz. (Could be wrong though)

Anyone have a link to the PDF?
  • Reply 282 of 344
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Uh, would you be thinking of the one that was ten posts back...?!?

http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/techlib/t...70_MPF2002.pdf

;^p

Waiting for my new dual 970 workstation, the one with the QuadroFX OpenGL card...

And a 30" Cinema Display!

Yeah, and a...
  • Reply 283 of 344
    macmikemacmike Posts: 96member
    Apple's CFO said that profit and revenue would be flat for the next quarter. Makes me think that the 970 won't be coming out at WWDC... you would think with a new revolutionary chip with incredible speed and power that revenue and profit might be up a bit.

I could be wrong (and I hope I am), but we might stuck with the G4 for a lot longer.
  • Reply 284 of 344
    crayzcrayz Posts: 73member
    Wrong. I don't know the specifics, but I think the quarter they just announced actually ended at least a month ago. Saying that next quarter revenue will be flat does not mean no 970 at WWDC
  • Reply 285 of 344
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    correct. even if they announce june 23 they may not be able to ship and charge for them until july or aug or sept
  • Reply 286 of 344
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crayz

Wrong. I don't know the specifics, but I think the quarter they just announced actually ended at least a month ago. Saying that next quarter revenue will be flat does not mean no 970 at WWDC

yes, I believe the the next quarter ends June 30th. If apple announces 970's at WWDC they probably won't be worth available for a few weeks so it works out just right.
  • Reply 287 of 344
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I hope so. I have a but load of cash I was saving for a dual Xeon that was going to be my 3D machine that I'm putting off until I see what SJ say's a WWDC. Let's hope I dont have to build it.
  • Reply 288 of 344
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I believe the current quarter Apple is in ends on June 30th...which lends itself beautifully to the 970 rollout scheme at WWDC because this quarter will still be somewhat flat. The only thing that's kind of irksome is...what if Apple doesn't even bring up the 970? There are going to be so many depressed, frustrated, and heavy-hearted folks around here. I'm optimistic that they will be announced...but anyway
  • Reply 289 of 344
    I have been holding onto the lions share of my "new workstation fund" for 2.5 years now.... opting for incremental upgrades to my PC, and leaving my G4/400 almost untouched... I can wait no more than 2.5 months MAX before I have to have a new machine an arms length from my body... and even if the 970 brings performance parity between macs and PC's... it is getting really really hard to justify the cost difference. All mac zealots can sh*t the f*ck up right now... cause nobody is a bigger mac fan than me... but for the purpose of running exactly 2 programs: lightwave, and a c++ IDE; the performance on a PC is way higher, and the cost is way lower. featurewise lightwave is lightwave more or less... and despite my UNIX preference, visual studio FLYS in compilation times compared to gcc on OSX [in my not so limited experience] (don't know about metrowerks compilers... haven't used them since os 9). It is REALLY REALLY upsetting that I can't even convince myself to wait around for an apple workstation. IF the 970 has performance akin to the 800 MHz FSB P4, what will it cost? and how f*cking long will it take to ship to my office? Beyond that... when it does ship - how will it compare to opterons, prescotts, and future Xeons? I dunno... but I am really really having a hard time holding out till they ship... sad... I am really begging to think that the macs superiority really is limited to consumer machines and laptops; and it gets outclassed everywhere else [in terms of hardware].
  • Reply 290 of 344
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Grad Student,

Patience is a virtue. Don't get keyed up. They'll be here soon, even if "soon" isn't soon enough...again, patience...
  • Reply 291 of 344
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Grad Student,

Patience is a virtue. Don't get keyed up. They'll be here soon, even if "soon" isn't soon enough...again, patience...

Anybody know about when key education buying season is?
  • Reply 292 of 344
    nevynnevyn Posts: 360member
    Quote:

Originally posted by grad student

...lightwave, and a c++ IDE...

The 970 should do a _LOT_ better at lightwave compared to the current G4s. Lightwave relies heavily on double precision floating point - a weak point of the G4, and a _very_ strong point of the 970. For Lightwave a dual 970 should be competitive (and price comparable!) with the best Xeons.

Code:

SpecFP:

Mot G4 1.0GHz 157

IBM 970 1.8 GHz 1054

Where Spec doesn't incorporate SIMD extensions at all, nor that int/FP/Vector ops can be interleaved more freely on powerpc.

There's a pile of work going into GCC on powerpc, can't say how fast/slow things will compile on different platforms though. Some cool things going on though on the compiler front.
  • Reply 293 of 344
    according to AMD, the opteron @ 2GHz specs out at:

specint: 1,202

specfp: 1,170

the 970 @ 1.8 GHz:

SPECint - 937

SPECfp - 1051

it has not been published where prescot will land, but I find it really hard to believe that the 970 will be able to top the alternatives in performance, cost, and arrival date. and even if it does, what will apple charge for it with their 28% profit margins... in addition, for lightwave, most of the stuff I need to do is real time... I'm not too concerned with final renders, mostly modeling/animating performance. anyway... just thought I'd add the numbers that have been in my head to the conversation. I really don't care about a 10% disadvantage from a mac workstation in price, or performance. but more than that is stretching it, and arrival date is HUGE.
  • Reply 294 of 344
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    grad student,

what (and i am only guessing , no inside info) if the 970 mobo has some other things on it like some supervector process, gpu, nvidia co-developed board.might make an AMD adavantage seem meaningless... who knows..I just get teh feeling that mr. pixar has always had some sort of super 3d goal in mind for.

We won't know till summer but we should keep these things in mind...
  • Reply 295 of 344
    This just in from LoopRumors

"The notion of Apple introducing a new processor is not a new one. But what will the computer look like? We have just received confirmation from a very reliable source that Apple will introduce a totally redesigned PowerMac system this summer. Some reports suggest that we'll see the new machines previewed at WWDC in June, while others point to a mid-late summer release. We cannot confirm a date, but we have received confirmation that the new processors will be inside of a completely redesigned housing. From other reports, we expect a new redesigned line of displays to accompany the new systems. To nail down a specific timeframe, we are probing our sources, who have been extremely accurate with information on FCP4 release at NAB and software update timelines. We'll have more information on this story available next week."

June launch at WWDC with Aug/Sept availibility. Sounds about right. The new case part is kind of from the "duh" department, though.
  • Reply 296 of 344
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    I would say that the Looprumors story is a pretty easy prediction to make. Apple is going to make sure that the 970 is easily identifiable. There is no way they are going to release a new chip with as much power as the 970 and not distinquish it from the models of the last 4 years.

Edit: Just read your last line. Obviously I am skimming too much.
  • Reply 297 of 344
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    Quote:

Originally posted by grad student

sh*k

I can tell you're not a theology student

If you need it today, buy whatever it takes to do the job today. I'm a little in that position too - I need a laptop at work, but I don't want the compaq the company would give me. I want a 15" PowerBook with a PPC970, but I probably can't wait.

Just a thought - my (long) experience with software development: unless it's 10's of thousands of lines of code, the thinking that takes place between compiles/builds is very productive time.
  • Reply 298 of 344
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    LoopRumors' inside info on the new case design may seem trivial, however, I do remember that in the past many people on this board were not so sure about the new case designs. I seem to recall that there was some debate on whether apple would actually make new cases. I have always believed that they would and continue to do so. LoopRumors has been, for the most part, quite reliable. They never come out with anything amazing, but they do seem a lot more truthful than some other rumor sites. I am really hoping for a 970 PowerBook sometime this summer. I'm hoping that the rumors hold up and apple releases a 970 PowerBook first. please please please please... etc...
  • Reply 299 of 344
    All I have to say to grad student is, anyone who uses visual studio can go to hell.

• Reply 300 of 344
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Algol

LoopRumors' inside info on the new case design may seem trivial, however, I do remember that in the past many people on this board were not so sure about the new case designs. I seem to recall that there was some debate on whether apple would actually make new cases. I have always believed that they would and continue to do so. LoopRumors has been, for the most part, quite reliable. They never come out with anything amazing, but they do seem a lot more truthful than some other rumor sites. I am really hoping for a 970 PowerBook sometime this summer. I'm hoping that the rumors hold up and apple releases a 970 PowerBook first. please please please please... etc...

Hey Algol,

Several of the rumor sites had posted information from various contacts indicating that the logic board was a different form factor which suggested a new case even before the information from their sources about case manufacture came online with their reports about a different case. Aside from that the new system should have a new case because the old ones, even though popular for their appearance, are lacking in expansion capability and the layout hampers doing much more with the present design. It would be nice to have the functional capability of some of the better PC cases with the appearance and so on of an Apple case.

By the way, "Algol", once upon a time I used a programming language called that. I think that it was assimilated into one of the Berkeley 'nix variants. Is that where your handle came from?

Regards