Mophie introduces Apple Store exclusive USB-C GaN adapters

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2022
Mophie's speedport 30 and speedport 67 GaN wall chargers are now available exclusively at Apple with USB-C fast charging capabilities.

The Mophie speedport 30 and speedport 67
The Mophie speedport 30 and speedport 67

The speedport 30 is a similar size to Apple's classic 5W wall charger but has six times the power at 30W. Similarly, the speedport 67 is much smaller than Apple's equivalent USB-C wall charger.

Like other chargers on the market, Mophie was able to significantly reduce the chargers' size thanks to Gallium Nitride, or GaN technology. Apple only uses GaN in its largest charger made for the 16-inch MacBook Pro, so its other chargers are much larger and less efficient than its competitors.

Both chargers feature folding prongs for a compact, portable design. The speedport 30 is enough to fast charge your iPhone or keep your iPad Pro and MacBook Air charged. The speedport 67 is powerful enough to keep even your MacBook Pro charged.

Mophie has made the two chargers exclusive to the Apple Store and its Zagg retail website. The speedport 30 is available for $44.95 and the speedport 67 is available for $69.95. Both ship with a 2m USB-C to USB-C cable.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Is there anything about these chargers that differentiate them from the countless others on the market? Or is it just being in the Apple Store that makes them special?
    amar99
  • Reply 2 of 5
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    The extended form factor of the smaller, similar to an Anker I have, is space efficient but has a potential slight issue in wall sockets that aren’t especially tight. Then the heavy column can pull out and break the connection. Not an issue with a horizontal power strip of course. I had to hunt around my hotel room Monday to find an outlet tight enough to hold mine, a tad annoying. 

Mophie is a reliable brand and as battery capacity grows a bit more speed can be a welcome thing. 
    edited May 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    amar99amar99 Posts: 181member
    I'd like to see an article which compared multiple brands of 3rd party power supplies -- an actual review -- not just what amounts to a press release.

In this case, not sure why anyone would spend 70 bucks on a single port 60 (sorry, 67) watt usb-c charger, unless they just love shopping at the Apple store for the sake of spending more. For example, Anker sells a two-port usb-c charger which automatically distributes either 60 watts to one port when only one device is connected, or 30 watts to each port if two devices are connected (Anker PowerPort Atom PD 2).

watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    amar99 said:
    I'd like to see an article which compared multiple brands of 3rd party power supplies -- an actual review -- not just what amounts to a press release.

In this case, not sure why anyone would spend 70 bucks on a single port 60 (sorry, 67) watt usb-c charger, unless they just love shopping at the Apple store for the sake of spending more. For example, Anker sells a two-port usb-c charger which automatically distributes either 60 watts to one port when only one device is connected, or 30 watts to each port if two devices are connected (Anker PowerPort Atom PD 2).

Good point. There’s also a 108w, 3-port usb-c charger from Satechi I have my eye on for $75. It offers 65-20-20, or 45-30-30 charging rates. Why would anyone pay that much for a single port when they could get 2 or 3 for about the same amount?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 5
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    I've got three Anker 30W PD chargers and they can easily get pulled out of all of my wall sockets. I only use them in a Belkin 12-port power strip that sits horizontally. These Anker cubes are held a little tighter in the Beklin strip but they pose the least resistance to being removed compared to all the other devices in the strip.

When Anker or otherwise I'm through buying one-port adapters. There are just two many times I'm pulling the plug on one device to charge another. If I traveled more the Mophie chargers might get some consideration because of the folding prongs. But I'd shop around first.
    watto_cobra