Apple fails bid to shut down refiled Cydia antitrust lawsuit

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2022
A U.S. judge will allow third-party app store Cydia to present its antitrust case against Apple, after dismissing Apple's claim that the matter is not outside the statute of limitations.

In January 2022, U.S. district judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers granted Apple's motion to dismiss a case brought against it by a jailbreak-focused App Store.

Apple had filed for the dismissal, citing that the complaint was outside the four-year window allowed by federal antitrust law. However, she also granted Cydia's creator, Jay Freeman, leave to amend his suit.

On Thursday, Judge Gonzalez Rogers ruled in favor of Freeman's claim, as noted by Reuters. While she found that the claims of the first lawsuit did fall outside of the statute of limitations, Cydia's amended lawsuit alleged that updates Apple made in 20118 and 2021 were designed to harm iOS app distributors like Cydia.

"To the extent plaintiff's claims rely on Apple's technological updates to exclude Cydia from being able to operate altogether, those claims are timely," Judge Gonzalez Rogers said in the ruling.

Initially filed in December 2020, Cydia's lawsuit claimed that Apple used its monopoly position against it.

Cydia claimed that it was forced to shut down because of Apple's allegedly unlawful control of app distribution on iOS. Cydia shut down in 2018.

Judge Gonzalez Rogers is also at the heart of the Epic versus Apple trial.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 237member
    Dear Apple:

If it wasn’t for Cydia most things that make the iPhone easy to navigate wouldn’t exist. Apple really has stifled on software innovation but Cydia gave us the things we always wanted and needed for navigation. I hope Cydia wins because Apple would give us more if what we need to make the iPhone easier to use because of this.
    williamlondonbyronlsaarekgrandact73Calamander
  • Reply 2 of 23
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Fred257 said:
    Dear Apple:

If it wasn’t for Cydia most things that make the iPhone easy to navigate wouldn’t exist. Apple really has stifled on software innovation but Cydia gave us the things we always wanted and needed for navigation. I hope Cydia wins because Apple would give us more if what we need to make the iPhone easier to use because of this.
    Nonsense.  People like you, wannabe developers, will literally make stuff up to further your agenda.  Whiners like you are not Apple's customers.  WE are Apple's customers, not developers, not you.  

You want the Wild West, go to Android and be done with it.
    baconstangwilliamlondonrob53meterestnzmwhitewatto_cobraleavingthebigguraharaflyingdpmacxpress
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Fred257 said:
    Dear Apple:

Like what?
    mwhitewatto_cobrauraharaflyingdpJaiOh819secondkox2tdknox
  • Reply 4 of 23
    ransonranson Posts: 69member
    sflocal said:
    Nonsense.  People like you, wannabe developers, will literally make stuff up to further your agenda.  Whiners like you are not Apple's customers.  WE are Apple's customers, not developers, not you.  

Wow, is it really necessary to attack people and call them names like wannabe and whiner?
    avon b7williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingambyronl9secondkox2boboliciousgrandact73
  • Reply 5 of 23
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    ranson said:
    sflocal said:

Wow, is it really necessary to attack people and call them names like wannabe and whiner?
    Yep. Because whiners get the attention while actual customers simply want things to work and are easy to find and install. Customers buy the software and have made Apple what they are today. 
    mwhitewatto_cobraflyingdpmacxpressJaiOh81williamlondonaderutter9secondkox2EsquireCatstdknox
  • Reply 6 of 23
    austincaustinc Posts: 8member
    Ironic that Fred wasn't whining, but Sflocal was whining about his post. Of course, Apple would have taken learnings from Cydia. For sure Apple would have done everything to shut down Cydia. Well said Fred
    edited May 2022 avon b7crowleywilliamlondongrandact73
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Apple will soon be forced to allow third-parties to sell their goods in Apple Stores around the world and will be prevented from disallowing the “competition”.
    Calamander
  • Reply 8 of 23
    This isn't really much different from the Psystar lawsuit where Psystar unsuccessfully attempted to argue that Apple's hardware was a monopoly unto itself and that Apple limiting the installation of it's own OS to it's own hardware was an antitrust violation. 
    watto_cobrafreeassociate2aderutter
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 237member
    Apple has traditionally been a very conservative company. What I mean by that is they have largely shut out outside opinion. This is one of the reasons why their products are so amazing. They make products that work because they understand that devices need to work intuitively and flawlessly. But, they can learn a thing or two from other developers. They only started listening to their customers recently. That’s why you have products now like the Mac studio and the new MBP. I have been following Apple and Apple Insider since 1998? I started using Apple II’s with Cubase to write music in 1988. I’m one of the biggest Apple fans in existence. I use to use Cydia on my iPhone 3GS on upward. It was very stable but at the same time, like what Apple said it wasn’t safe. But, there was so much innovation within Cydia developers that Apple stole quite a lot from it. Many of the control panels we see now didn’t exist before Cydia. It’s pretty much impossible to get Cydia on iPhones these days. And that’s exactly why we haven’t really had many changes or new features on the iPhone in quite a long time.  Apple is one of the best and most innovative companies in the world. They can do whatever they want and I’d be happy.
    williamlondonbadmonk
  • Reply 10 of 23
    slow n easyslow n easy Posts: 322member
    Fred257 said:
    Dear Apple:

Like what?
    That’s what I was wondering also. Why not give some examples. I never even heard of Cydia until I read this article. I don’t know anything about it.
    watto_cobra9secondkox2
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Fred257 said:
    Dear Apple:

What are you whining on about?

iPhones are easy by design.  They have been that way since the beginning.

You don't even give any examples.....weak argument.  
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 12 of 23
    monistmonist Posts: 1member
    I know one thing: by not allowing web apps (PWAs) in the Apple App Store, they are stifling innovation.  And they are purposefully dragging their feet on allowing iOS Safari (WebKit) to do things every other mobile browser can do, like allow the user to enable push notifications from a web site, or make it easy to add a web app to the homescreen.  Users can decide for themselves whether they want a web site to send notifications, and shouldn't have to go through a bunch of unnecessary steps just to add a web site to their homescreen.  I truly believe that they are not protecting the users as much as making their lives harder for the sake of their bottom line (via the coercion to develop a native app for the Apple App Store).  The sooner Tim Cook realizes he's on the wrong side of history, the better.

9secondkox2bobolicious
  • Reply 13 of 23
    monist said:
      The sooner Tim Cook realizes he's on the wrong side of history, the better.

You're going to have to do better than that if you want to troll here. 

The consumers have shown that Apple is on the RIGHT side of history for sure.  

aderutter9secondkox2
  • Reply 14 of 23
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    monist said:
    I know one thing: by not allowing web apps (PWAs) in the Apple App Store, they are stifling innovation.  And they are purposefully dragging their feet on allowing iOS Safari (WebKit) to do things every other mobile browser can do, like allow the user to enable push notifications from a web site, or make it easy to add a web app to the homescreen.  Users can decide for themselves whether they want a web site to send notifications, and shouldn't have to go through a bunch of unnecessary steps just to add a web site to their homescreen.  I truly believe that they are not protecting the users as much as making their lives harder for the sake of their bottom line (via the coercion to develop a native app for the Apple App Store).  The sooner Tim Cook realizes he's on the wrong side of history, the better.

No argument on WebKit being behind with some PWA features, but it's super easy to add a web page to the Home Screen.
    aderutter
  • Reply 15 of 23
    marklarkmarklark Posts: 30member
    “Like what?”

Like adding more rows and/or columns for icons. Handy. 

Like custom-themed UI elements. E.g., Coca-Cola and Dr Pepper. 

Tons of things that other devs thought were useful or more attractive. 
  • Reply 16 of 23
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    I thought Cydia lost this like 10 years ago? 
    edited May 2022
  • Reply 17 of 23
    marklark said:
    “Like what?”

Like adding more rows and/or columns for icons. Handy. 

Like custom-themed UI elements. E.g., Coca-Cola and Dr Pepper. 

Tons of things that other devs thought were useful or more attractive. 
    There are tons of rows and columns for icons. That is what home pages are for. Just swipe to next. And apple didn’t need cydia to go there. A natural progression. It’s basically a refined Spaces Borrowed from the Mac. 

Would be nice to have custom UI capabilities. But custom stuff can also confuse people who’d get lost after customizing. That’s a headache neither Apple nor Microsoft nor Google have seemed to invite. Yes you can install third party stuff of dubious repute on some devices, but until an OEM bakes it in (and includes an easy to find reset button)), it’s really just a tinker toy and not important. 

Apple reinvented the smartphone when it came out with the original iPhone. It was a total game changer revolutionary. That was just out of the gate. Of course things would grow/refine/change as time went on. Cydia can’t take credit for that. 
    edited May 2022
  • Reply 18 of 23
    ranson said:
    sflocal said:

Though I did post such, it does appear that “the shoe fits” in this case. 
  • Reply 19 of 23
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    It's a hilarious lawsuit because it attempts to frame apple patching exploits (each one with a public CVE) as a direct attack on Cydia. Why? Because Cydia relies on jail breaking and those exploits are usually required for the jailbreaks to occur.

Needless to say it's without merit to characterise bug squashing as anti-competitive, but this is currently the era of the great Apple pile-on. Everyone wants a cut of what Apple have built, even if it means destroying it in the process.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    rcomeaurcomeau Posts: 79member
    It's a hilarious lawsuit because it attempts to frame apple patching exploits (each one with a public CVE) as a direct attack on Cydia. Why? Because Cydia relies on jail breaking and those exploits are usually required for the jailbreaks to occur.

Needless to say it's without merit to characterise bug squashing as anti-competitive, but this is currently the era of the great Apple pile-on. Everyone wants a cut of what Apple have built, even if it means destroying it in the process.
    I think you are missing the point here. If Apple opened up the ecosystem to legitimate third party stores, Cydia would not have to resort to jailbreaking. I am not advocating that and the examples given so far are pretty weak arguments, it is a legitimate argument. I do miss having shell on my phone, but I admit that was very narrow application.
    bobolicious