Analyst doubts Apple will reveal AR headset at WWDC

Posted:
in General Discussion
Ming-Chi Kuo cautions that Apple is unlikely to unveil its first Apple AR headset at WWDC, saying it would give time for rivals to copy the design before launch.

There are rumors of hardware releases or announcements coming at WWDC every year, and close to every year there are none. In time for WWDC 2022, though, Apple has registered a trademark for its AR/VR realityOS, and there are accompanying claims that the headset will be unveiled.

The actual launch of a headset is still not expected before 2023, and that's the key reason that Kuo gives for doubting any announcements.

(1/2)
It still takes some time before Apple AR/MR headset enters mass production, so I don't think Apple will release AR/MR headset and rumored realityOS at WWDC this year. Apple's competitors worldwide can't wait to see the hardware spec and OS design for Apple's AR/MR headset.

— (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo)

"I'm sure that if Apple announces AR/MR headset and its OS at WWDC,"competitors will immediately kick off copycat projects and happily copy Apple's excellent ideas, and hit the store shelves before Apple launches in 2023."

Since he moved in March 2022 from releasing investor research notes to tweeting Apple news, Kuo has generally been clear when he has information from the supply chain. This particular prediction, however, is not based on any sources.

As ever with Apple's annual WWDC conference, there are multiple conflicting claims about what will and won't be unveiled. AppleInsider has an updated roundup of what to expect -- and what not to.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Did anyone expect it to be announced?

Sorry, but I don’t understand this sentence:
    There are rumors of hardware releases or announcements coming at WWDC every year, and close to every year there are none.”

watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Pre-announcement doesn’t mean they will release all the details. I agree that we will only see a pre-announcement if they are ready to ship within 6 months. This isn’t the sort of product that could be easily copied by competitors and many details of the OS would certainly be postponed for announcement at the last second. If Apple is ready to ship by the end of the year, I think they will need to announce it.
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    leavingthebiggleavingthebigg Posts: 1,291member
    Kuo could stop leaking Apple’s products and timelines. Just saying. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    If you don't want to hear Apple leaks then maybe stop clicking onto a site that traffics in Apple rumours?
    muthuk_vanalingamJapheybyronl
  • Reply 5 of 9
    leavingthebiggleavingthebigg Posts: 1,291member
    crowley said:
    If you don't want to hear Apple leaks then maybe stop clicking onto a site that traffics in Apple rumours?
    Stop being annoyingly dense. Read Kuo’s tweet then pay attention what Kuo does. He helps competitors much more than any official Apple announcement does. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    If Apple is ready to ship by the end of the year, I think they will need to announce it.
    At the very least realityOS so that developers can build software for it before the hardware launch. I don't think they'd have to do much for support if the UI will allow for iOS apps but there will be a new interaction system that will likely allow for multiple window panes to be shown at once and able to be resized. This can be tested in a simulator.

Even if realityOS is launched before the hardware, competitors won't be able to copy both. At best they'd get a 6 month head start on copying but it would take at least a year to build equivalent hardware - custom silicon, wireless chips, OS, sensors (LIDAR), charging systems, audio, encoding chips. Few companies have the budget to do something like this. LG, Samsung and Qualcomm would probably be the biggest competition. Qualcomm showed the following reference designs but Apple always has the edge on design. Apple has been making Macs/phones/tablets for years and PCs/Android devices still don't match their designs:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/5/20/23130369/qualcomm-xr2-wireless-ar-smart-viewer-announcement

edited May 2022 byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,872member
    Marvin said:
    If Apple is ready to ship by the end of the year, I think they will need to announce it.
    At the very least realityOS so that developers can build software for it before the hardware launch. I don't think they'd have to do much for support if the UI will allow for iOS apps but there will be a new interaction system that will likely allow for multiple window panes to be shown at once and able to be resized. This can be tested in a simulator.

Even if realityOS is launched before the hardware, competitors won't be able to copy both. At best they'd get a 6 month head start on copying but it would take at least a year to build equivalent hardware - custom silicon, wireless chips, OS, sensors (LIDAR), charging systems, audio, encoding chips. Few companies have the budget to do something like this. LG, Samsung and Qualcomm would probably be the biggest competition. Qualcomm showed the following reference designs but Apple always has the edge on design. Apple has been making Macs/phones/tablets for years and PCs/Android devices still don't match their designs:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/5/20/23130369/qualcomm-xr2-wireless-ar-smart-viewer-announcement

Google glasses? Looks like a dream without a OS……..
  • Reply 8 of 9
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    Stop being annoyingly dense. Read Kuo’s tweet then pay attention what Kuo does. He helps competitors much more than any official Apple announcement does. 
    Yeah?  He doesn't work for Apple.  It's his job to comment on what he knows.
    muthuk_vanalingam