Apple's AR headset will slip to Q2 2023, predicts Kuo

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo is predicting that the expected Apple AR headset has been pushed past the original timetable because of the impact of China's coronavirus lockdowns.




Following his now validated doubt that Apple would unveil its AR headset at WWDC 2022, Ming-Chi Kuo has tweeted what he expects is the timetable leading up to its delayed launch.

(1/2)
I believe Apple's AR/MR headset shipping date will postpone to 2Q23 (vs. 1Q23 of market consensus) because Shanghai lockdown interrupts the development. As expected, there were no clues for AR/MR headset at WWDC 2022. Here is my prediction for Apple AR/MR headset schedule.

-- (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo)


He goes on to say that his supposed schedule Apple's first AR headset is:

  1. Engineering Validation and Testing starting from Q3 2022

  2. Apple event in January 2023

  3. SDK toolkit for developers by end of February 2023

  4. Pre-orders beginning Q2 2023

  5. On sale ahead of WWDC 2023

Kuo's timeline does fit with recent expectations that the headset will be launched in 2023.

Since beginning to tweet about Apple in March 2022, Ming-Chi Kuo's news about the company have variously been speculation, or based on supply chain reports. This AR timeline appears to be solely supposition, using Kuo's experience of manufacturing timelines.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 7
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,410member
    I’d be very interested in an AI article detailing how many rumors and leaks these clowns actually got correct this week. 
    iOS_Guy80
  • Reply 2 of 7
    amar99amar99 Posts: 140member
    Japhey said:
    I’d be very interested in an AI article detailing how many rumors and leaks these clowns actually got correct this week. 
    "If you throw enough predictions around, at least some of them are liable to stick." Their modus operandi, pretty much.

    (Edit: To clarify, not AppleInsider itself; I mean the many random predictors of Apple's releases / timing.)
    edited June 7
  • Reply 3 of 7
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 831member
    They're never gonna release until a "Develop Edition" comes out for a pre-amble to a App Store can be founded...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    mpantonempantone Posts: 1,903member
    The timing of Kuo's prediction is sketchy.

    The logical time for Apple to announce an AR/VR headset would be WWDC. That would introduce the software tools, SDKs, and the operating system itself (realityOS by some speculators). That would give Apple the opportunity to offer a developer kit which would include a late stage pre-production device.

    It will be interesting to see how Apple handles this rollout.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    croffordcrofford Posts: 75member
    mpantone said:
    The timing of Kuo's prediction is sketchy.

    The logical time for Apple to announce an AR/VR headset would be WWDC. That would introduce the software tools, SDKs, and the operating system itself (realityOS by some speculators). That would give Apple the opportunity to offer a developer kit which would include a late stage pre-production device.

    It will be interesting to see how Apple handles this rollout.
    Actually, I predict they'll mirror the original iPhone announcement.  Announce in January and ship later. 
    They couldn't announce at WWDC because nobody would pay attention to other platform announcements.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mpantonempantone Posts: 1,903member
    crofford said:
    mpantone said:
    The timing of Kuo's prediction is sketchy.

    The logical time for Apple to announce an AR/VR headset would be WWDC. That would introduce the software tools, SDKs, and the operating system itself (realityOS by some speculators). That would give Apple the opportunity to offer a developer kit which would include a late stage pre-production device.

    It will be interesting to see how Apple handles this rollout.
    Actually, I predict they'll mirror the original iPhone announcement.  Announce in January and ship later. 
    They couldn't announce at WWDC because nobody would pay attention to other platform announcements.
    Hmmm, framed that way as following the original iPhone launch sequence, Kuo's timeline makes a little more sense.

    Per the original article, this is based off of Kuo's insight into manufacturing and is merely supposition. There was a rumor that an AR device had been shown to Apple's board. My guess is that development of such a device would have to be pretty far along for it to show up at one of those meetings.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    stoneygstoneyg Posts: 43member
    rezwits said:
    They're never gonna release until a "Develop Edition" comes out for a pre-amble to a App Store can be founded...
    I imagine this will be quiet, where they get a small number in the hands of specific developers to create apps in advance of launching a decently stocked AR/VR App Store.
Sign In or Register to comment.