Tap to Pay on iPhone has been live for weeks, here's who supports it

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple earlier in June released Tap to Pay on iPhone to developers. Here are the apps that currently support the Apple Pay feature, as well as platforms that eventually will.

Tap to Pay on iPhone
Tap to Pay on iPhone

The iPhone maker first announced the feature in February. At its WWDC 2022 keynote, Apple said that the feature would be available in the U.S. in June -- and gave a list of platforms that would be first to support it.

According to an archived version of an Apple developer webpage, the feature quietly went live on June 7, a day after the WWDC keynote. However, it wasn't available to consumers since apps didn't not yet implement support.

At WWDC 2022, Apple said that the following companies would be the first to support the feature.

• Stripe

• Shopify

• Clover from Fiserv

• Adyen

• Square

• North American Bancard

• Worldpay from FIS

• Chase

• GoDaddy

As of June 30, it appears that Shopify is the first app to officially support Tap to Pay on iPhone. In the Summer 2022 edition of the app, there's officially support for Tap to Pay on iPhone.

As far as other apps, adoption is going a bit more slowly.

Square announced that Tap to Pay on iPhone support would be coming later in 2022, but it's currently available as an early access program for select merchants.

It's a similar story for Stripe Terminal. According to the company, Tap to Pay on iPhone is currently available as part of a closed beta program in the U.S.

Payment platform Adyen also plans to roll out support, but details about the launch are scarce. Currently, the company is letting people sign up for "register [their] interest."

As of writing, Clover, Worldpay, Chase, GoDaddy, and North American Bancard have yet to officially announce actuve support for the feature or debut it in even a beta form.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member
    Apple earlier in June released Tap to Pay on iPhone to developers. Here are the apps that currently support the Apple Pay feature, as well as platforms that eventually will.”

It’s not an “Apple Pay” feature. 

Tap to pay is completely separate from Apple Pay. 

Tap to pay is a feature that point-of-sale apps can use so that a business can accept any form of contactless payment (debit card, credit card, Google Pay, Apple Pay etc) by using the iPhone as a point-of-sale device. 

Apple Pay is a feature that lets customers use their Apple devices to store cards in the Wallet app, and use those stored cards to make purchases. 
    maltzjony0robin huberwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 5
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,964member
    Will it work with Watch the way ApplePay does already?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I don’t understand… I’ve been using my iPhone as a tap to pay device for a couple of years now. When i check out at the store or pickup fast food, i just launch my wallet, and hold my phone next to the card reader, and the purchase is made without having to actually use my physical credit card… what am i missing here??
  • Reply 4 of 5
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I don’t understand… I’ve been using my iPhone as a tap to pay device for a couple of years now. When i check out at the store or pickup fast food, i just launch my wallet, and hold my phone next to the card reader, and the purchase is made without having to actually use my physical credit card… what am i missing here??
    Same concept, except the payment is made from one iPhone to another. No card reader is needed. 
    kurai_kagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 5
    kurai_kagekurai_kage Posts: 105member
    If you follow the "on June 7" link you can watch a video.  The video is from your perspective, you are the vendor.  
    watto_cobra