Apple Maps could serve advertising to users in 2023

Posted:
in iOS
Apple's move to increase advertising it serves to its users could result in Apple Maps showing ads as early as 2023.

Apple is thought to be working on increasing its advertising business aggressively in the coming years, with an initiative to expand Apple's overall use of ads in apps as part of that push. It seems users may not have to wait that long before seeing it being implemented.

One of the big candidates for advertising is Apple Maps, with Mark Gurman's "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg claiming engineering work is "already underway to launch search ads in the Apple Maps app." Gurman believes it should be functional "sometime next year."

The advertising in Apple Maps won't necessarily be banner ads, but instead leans on the search result-based ads it already displays in the App Store. Users searching for companies, businesses, or items may be fed promoted listings based on the keywords.

The move would be part of an attempt by Apple's advertising teams to increase revenue in the ad arm from $4 billion in annual revenue and into double digits. Other apps, such as Podcasts, could also see the new ads.

Apple confirmed in July that more ads are on the way, with it trialling ad slots in the App Store such as a placement on App Store Today, as well as the "You Might Also Like" section.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    In app advertising is the best way to lose users. I thought Apple knew that but times must be tough. Can’t wait for new advertising blocker apps. 
    napoleon_phoneapart9secondkox2lolliverzeus423MplsPtdknoxpaxmandavgreguraharaFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 2 of 34
    "If we do this a little bit by little bit they will accept it.  Some will be mad, but they aren't going anywhere.  Most will not even notice... or care.  We'll even have a few who will try to excuse and justify it.  Point is, we are going to be able to continue expanding our advertising efforts because bit by bit, they'll accept anything."
    - some Ad guy presenting to Cook and the Executive Committee probably

I jest, but this is going to continue unabated.  Apple has realized that increasing advertising in an incremental and methodical way is going to result in general acceptance by their customers and a crap ton of additional revenue and profit.  They know you'll learn to love being the product. 

ctt_zh9secondkox2robin hubermuthuk_vanalingamdutchlordFileMakerFellergatorguy
  • Reply 3 of 34
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    Maybe the ad-free tier of Apple Maps will be included with Apple One. Or Apple Two.
    9secondkox2zeus423
  • Reply 4 of 34
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member

Is this a strategy to chip away at Google's dominance, without crossing that "privacy" barrier?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 34
    rob53 said:
    In app advertising is the best way to lose users. I thought Apple knew that but times must be tough. Can’t wait for new advertising blocker apps. 
    How would that work since Apple controls all apps that are allowed to run on a person’s iPhone?
    ctt_zhmuthuk_vanalingamdutchlord
  • Reply 6 of 34
    Wow what an absolutely horrible idea.  
    9secondkox2danoxzeus423dutchlordfred1paxmandavgreguraharaFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 7 of 34
    So… Think Different Apple is going to be just like all the other sleaze now? 

First Steve. Then Jony. Now this. 

Honestly I can see ads in the App Store. There is a logic to it. 

But for maps? Heck no. 
    edited August 2022 dutchlordFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 8 of 34
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Ads in? I'm out.
    9secondkox2davgregFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 9 of 34
    One more reason to keep using google Maps
    DAalseth
  • Reply 10 of 34
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    Surely ads on maps is just rent seeking for the physical presence the business has already acquired!
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Maybe the ad-free tier of Apple Maps will be included with Apple One. Or Apple Two.
    Yes please. 
    lollivergeekmeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Paying more just to have things the way they are now? No thank you. That would suck. 
    zeus423muthuk_vanalingamdavgregelijahg
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Don’t care I don’t use Apple Maps anyway just another reason to continue that line of thought.
    maximara
  • Reply 14 of 34
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,869member
    rob53 said:
    Times aren’t tough for Apple but once you start hiring from the same group of marketing-business graduates, you get the same intrusive Ad’s are good thinking.
    maximara
  • Reply 15 of 34
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,869member
    Speaking of intrusive does anyone how to get rid of that requestor that sits on left side of the Apple maps screen? Comes in full sized (always on) every time within iOS on a iPad. Hate it.
    edited August 2022
  • Reply 16 of 34
    I jest, but this is going to continue unabated.  Apple has realized that increasing advertising in an incremental and methodical way is going to result in general acceptance by their customers and a crap ton of additional revenue and profit.  They know you'll learn to love being the product. 

No doubt that is true.  Although I did recently stop using Accuweather because they began to show those really annoying full screen ads that you have to wait to load, and then you have to search the screen for the X or Close link, which change location with nearly every ad.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 34
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    Well it was nice while it lasted. Time to put on our big boy pants and wade into the real world.

And those who our out…
    Where ya goin’?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 34
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    Ads on Apple maps search function would be overkill as the maps content itself can be used for paid content just like Google Maps is now.

Google flags which information on its maps is paid placement to distinguish it from information that is provided by users. 
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Ads, the new “One More Thing”? I don’t want ads in maps. I just started to like Apple Maps. To introduce ads is a bad idea. I will discard Apple maps for this reason.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Just when I didn’t think I liked Google Maps.

Thankful for the ability to delete Apple apps. This will be one of them.
    WhiskeyAPPLEciderMplsPurahara