Always-on iPhone 14 Pro display will feature most lock screen elements

Posted:
in iOS edited September 2022
More details of how the always-on display of the iPhone 14 Pro could work have surfaced, with the new iOS 16 lock screen deeply integrating with the hardware feature.

There have long been rumors that the next generation of iPhone will offer some form of always-on display, but not much on how it will actually appear to users. In new details leaked days before Apple's special event, it seems that the lock screen will be catered for with the new releases.

The new lock screen in iOS 16 includes new widgets and a customizable clock, which can float behind the subject of the wallpaper. In a leak to MacRumors, the depth effect could play a part in the always-on element.

Rather than displaying the entire wallpaper, it is claimed that the subject will still be visible, but the background behind them will be dark, to save on power. The foreground elements will be dimmed, but can also be tinted with color and feature edge highlights, varying based on the user's customization.

Elements such as widgets will be visible, but they will fade in and out on a timer, so it doesn't burn into the OLED panel. These configurable elements will appear the same way in both fully-illuminated and always-on states, so you can't have a different wallpaper for each, for example.

Notifications, as it appears in iOS 16's beta, will appear at the bottom of the display, but will be visible for about 10 second before disappearing. On wake-up, the notifications will animate and appear as normal.

Users may also be able to set a counter for notifications at the bottom of the display when in the always-on mode.

At the top of the display, the signal and power indicators will disappear from view.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    It’s about time. Apple always seems to be playing catch-up with Samsung which has had Always-on display as far back as 2016 starting with the Samsung Galaxy S7.
    edited September 2022 williamlondongrandact73
  • Reply 2 of 25
    dangaioh said:
    It’s about time. Apple always seems to be playing catch-up with Samsung which has had Always-on display as far back as 2016 starting with the Samsung Galaxy S7.
    Apple may seem like it's always playing catchup but there are a few things you need to understand why this is so.  
    1) Apple will not introduce a new feature until it's near perfect, they don't strive to be the first but to provide a great user experience (Samsung obviously doesn't hold to this standard).  
    2) Apple has a massive R&D team developing new tech and features all the time and annually files numerous patents.  Because it takes a long time from the initial prototype to a polished product doesn't mean they are not leading on the tech front. 
    2) Apple rolls out new features across all Pro models and or all iPhone models at once and based upon the sheer volume of devices (min 80M/year for Pro's) they need a large well-stocked supply chain (Samsung doesn't hold to this).  This is a major reason OLED took so long to arrive on the iPhone. 
    byronldangaiohwilliamlondonlolliverseanjradarthekatjeffharriswatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 3 of 25
    byronlbyronl Posts: 364member
    JP234 said:
    If it were up to me, I'd choose longer battery life over a screen that stays lit in my pocket or my wife's purse. The always on screen makes sense for the Apple Watch, but who needs it for the phone?

they'll for sure use the proximity sensor for it to know when it's in your pocket or purse. and samsung's version only uses like 0.3% of battery per hour, not that significant
    JP234
  • Reply 4 of 25
    I don’t get the hype for AOD. If I’m looking at my screen it’s because I want to see something (messages, missed calls…). Raising my iPhone or tapping the screen turns it on and with FaceID my notification details will become immediately visible.

Why would I want to look at a dimmed version of something with limited information when I can just as easily see the full version?

Same with Apple Watch. I raise my wrist and it turns on showing me everything normally. When would I ever be looking at my Watch where a dim display is going to give me some useful information?

Seems more like a vanity thing than anything else.
    fred1lolliverseanjjeffharriswatto_cobraFileMakerFellergrandact73
  • Reply 5 of 25
    dangaioh said:
    I’m laughing just thinking about all the rage you’re going to feel on Sep 7th. Must be a very stressful day to see the most successful tech company announcing new products that you’re going to struggle to bash to justify your use of an inferior device (like anything made by Samsung).
    williamlondonlolliverjeffharriswatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 6 of 25
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 934member
    There’s multiple use scenarios where I’m not in physical contact with my iPhone, at my desk, in my car for two, where having some select information visible without my having to directly interact with the device is going to be welcome. 
    sdw2001dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 25
    M68000M68000 Posts: 759member
    dangaioh said:
    I’m laughing just thinking about all the rage you’re going to feel on Sep 7th. Must be a very stressful day to see the most successful tech company announcing new products that you’re going to struggle to bash to justify your use of an inferior device (like anything made by Samsung).
    Do you know that Apple has for years used Samsung made components in the iPhones?  What do you think about that?  Samsung is also a huge company and to hear you and others make fun of them is itself funny.  Try looking beyond just Apple being the only company in the world that knows how to make something.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,406member
    I definitely see this being quite useful for "at a glance" UI elements like timers, alarms, message and email snippets from VIP contacts, etc. Wallpaper ... dimmed or otherwise, um, why? Does vanity have no boundaries?

I can see where subtle visual notifications on a phone that's sitting on a desk or in a dock would be vastly preferable to having not-so-subtle dings, dongs, and vibrations going off in the middle of an in-person meeting or in a zoom call.

In any case, having selectable and configurable always-on capability that the user can use to their advantage definitely adds another useful control knob that may very well find its way into our daily workflow. Looking forward to seeing how it gets rolled out and whether it actually catches on with end users. 
    radarthekatmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 25
    M68000 said:
    dangaioh said:
    Do you know that Apple has for years used Samsung made components in the iPhones?  What do you think about that?  Samsung is also a huge company and to hear you and others make fun of them is itself funny.  Try looking beyond just Apple being the only company in the world that knows how to make something.

What do Samsung components have to do with Apple haters that are always whining about products they apparently can’t stand or don’t use? Oh right, nothing.
    jeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 25
    dewme said:
    I definitely see this being quite useful for "at a glance" UI elements like timers, alarms, message and email snippets from VIP contacts, etc. Wallpaper ... dimmed or otherwise, um, why? Does vanity have no boundaries?

I can see where subtle visual notifications on a phone that's sitting on a desk or in a dock would be vastly preferable to having not-so-subtle dings, dongs, and vibrations going off in the middle of an in-person meeting or in a zoom call.

In any case, having selectable and configurable always-on capability that the user can use to their advantage definitely adds another useful control knob that may very well find its way into our daily workflow. Looking forward to seeing how it gets rolled out and whether it actually catches on with end users. 

As someone who uses timers regularly this I could find useful. Provided Apple fixes their awful timers and lets me do things like…

- Set multiple timers without having to do workarounds like using Siri to set an alarm or reminder.
    - Display the timers in a font large enough to see at a distance on the Lock Screen, instead of that useless small timer under the clock.
    mattinozwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Just get a timer widget. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 25
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,018member
    As an iPhone user since the iPhone 3G, I think this is an extremely welcome development. I can’t tell you how many times I just need to check time or another element but don’t want to touch my phone or use Siri.  I highly doubt it’s going to be a big powered drain. More than likely, they are going to increase the size of the battery and make other improvements. 
    JFC_PAwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 25
    M68000 said:
    dangaioh said:

What do Samsung components have to do with Apple haters that are always whining about products they apparently can’t stand or don’t use? Oh right, nothing.
    Just pointing out that you call Samsung inferior, but yet these inferior parts are used in the iPhones.   Perhaps Samsung is not as inferior as you think.   I wish Apple had the ability to make everything themselves.  I love iPhones because of the overall experience, hardware and OS.    But, to say how inferior android phones are is a bit of a stretch.   I remember years ago seeing a relative with a big OLED screen on a new android phone, probably a Samsung.  The screen and 120hz refresh rate was mind blowing at the time, gorgeous.  At that time, Apple had nothing like this for a long time after that.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    M68000 said:
    M68000 said:
    dangaioh said:

Just pointing out that you call Samsung inferior, but yet these inferior parts are used in the iPhones.   Perhaps Samsung is not as inferior as you think.   I wish Apple had the ability to make everything themselves.  I love iPhones because of the overall experience, hardware and OS.    But, to say how inferior android phones are is a bit of a stretch.   I remember years ago seeing a relative with a big OLED screen on a new android phone, probably a Samsung.  The screen and 120hz refresh rate was mind blowing at the time, gorgeous.  At that time, Apple had nothing like this for a long time after that.

I don’t think you have a clue about what components are used in iPhones and what they are responsible for. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 25
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 934member
    Samsung PHONES can be inferior to iPhones for reasons far behind components. 

Which I’d have thought was obvious. 
    JP234watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 17 of 25
    M68000 said:
    Boy are you behind the times.

And although Apple has taken over the design of its own processors (with all the complexity that entails), then Samsung has been in charge of manufacturing them.”

Samsung hasn’t made a processor for iPhones since 2015 when the A9 was dual-sourced from Samsung and  TSMC. And we know how that turned out - the TDMC version was superior and Apple has used them since.

I stopped reading after seeing this glaring mistake.
    watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 18 of 25
    M68000M68000 Posts: 759member
    M68000 said:

”And although Apple has taken over the design of its own processors (with all the complexity that entails), then Samsung has been in charge of manufacturing them.”

Samsung hasn’t made a processor for iPhones since 2015 when the A9 was dual-sourced from Samsung and  TSMC. And we know how that turned out - the TDMC version was superior and Apple has used them since.

Your missing the point,  which is that Apple has relied on this “inferior” company as you call them.   Would it be great if Apple makes everything on their own,  but they don’t.    I choose to use Apple,  however the S22 phones are interesting.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Hopefully Apple includes a preference for the screen to shut off when not in use.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 25
    M68000 said:
    M68000 said:

”And although Apple has taken over the design of its own processors (with all the complexity that entails), then Samsung has been in charge of manufacturing them.”

Your missing the point,  which is that Apple has relied on this “inferior” company as you call them.   Would it be great if Apple makes everything on their own,  but they don’t.    I choose to use Apple,  however the S22 phones are interesting.

Are you aware Samsung Semiconductor and Samsung Mobile are separate divisions? They might as well be separate companies.

It’s why Apple still bought parts from Samsung Semiconductor even though they were suing Samsung Mobile for their blatant copying of the iPhone. Or why Samsung Semiconductor didn’t stop selling parts to Apple to teach them a lesson for suing Samsung Mobile like all the haters (I mean children) wanted them too.