24 years after original iMac, there's still big demand for floppies

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2022
The iMac was the first mass-produced computer to ditch the 3.5-inch floppy disk, and the rest of the industry followed soon after -- but that doesn't mean there isn't a market for them.

While the floppy disk reigned supreme for nearly 40 years, Apple chose to abandon the format in 1998, when it introduced the iMac G3. The company believed that user-writeable CDs, high-speed networking, and the internet would render the disks obsolete.

And, to a degree, that's true. By 2006, the 3.5-inch floppy disk was decidedly legacy. By 2015, it was nearly extinct.

But, even though no modern devices offer a floppy disk drive, there's still a healthy market for them.

Eye On Design spoke to Tom Persky, owner of floppydisk.com. He's the self-proclaimed "last man standing in the floppy disk business."

Persky didn't intend on being the last bastion for those looking to get their hands on blank floppy disks. It just happened as he survived -- and bought from -- competitors.

He initially got his start duplicating floppy disks. He notes that copying disks in the '80s and '90s was "as good as printing money."

However, as the floppy disk fell out of use, he found a new market -- selling blank disks. After big-box retailers quit carrying them, Persky quickly became the go-to for those who wanted to get their hands on the disks.

"So here I am, a small company with a floppy disk inventory, and I find myself to be a worldwide supplier of this product," Persky says in an interview. "My business, which used to be 90% CD and DVD duplication, is now 90% selling blank floppy disks. It's shocking to me."

AppleInsider is aware that until recently, the US Department of Defense was a heavy user of 3.5-inch floppy disks. A smattering of systems requiring 5.25-inch disks were taken off service in about 2015.

In 2022, a significant portion of Persky's customers are hobbyists, often wanting to purchase a couple dozen disks at a time. His largest current customer base, however, is industrial users.

"These are people who use floppy disks as a way to get information in and out of a machine. Imagine it's 1990, and you're building a big industrial machine of one kind or another," he explains. "You design it to last 50 years and you'd want to use the best technology available. At the time this was a 3.5-inch floppy disk."

Persky notes that many industrial users are in aviation and the medical industry. He suspects that the most significant industrial user is the embroidery business.

He doesn't think the demand for floppy disks will ever entirely die out, though he doesn't expect them to see the same fervor as vinyl.

"Floppy disks are going to be a little bit more like buggy whips or typewriters. They're going to be a collectible marvel of their time. Imagine how hard it would be to manufacture a new typewriter today."

"There are a number of American authors who talk about the fact that they can only write on a typewriter. It's something very important to them that is tied into their artistic genius," he muses. "I think that floppy disks are going to be a little bit like that. You're not going to be able to replace them."

Present pricing for floppy disks are About $15 for an unused 10-pack, and $50 and up for a 50-pack. Recycled floppy disks can be had for as little as $20 for 50 disks.

Read on AppleInsider
jdw

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    There is still expensive test equipment that still has a lot of use in electrical engineering labs today that were built before USB thumb drives became popular. Usually the only way to get data off if it is via floppy drive, GPIB or network connection.
    mr. hPookie01201watto_cobraPaul_B
  • Reply 2 of 19
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Floppy disks are still used extensively in Japan, although there are moves afoot to try and change this:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-62749310
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Is his inventory just unused surplus stock or are they still manufactured I wonder. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Got an originial 'mint in package' 10 pack of blank 3.5'' floppy disks from Apple, still waiting for it to become a valuable collectors item ;-)

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
     Might be some demand as drinks coasters for some dinner parties.
    jeffharriswatto_cobrarob53mike1
  • Reply 6 of 19
    DrBoar2DrBoar2 Posts: 7unconfirmed, member
    At a former workplace I had in 2012 a biorector running NT4 and 3.5" floppys was the only way to get data of the computer. Upgrading to a modern windows would mean a new set of software with a hefty licence cost as well as the cost of the guy configuring the whole thing. That would cost at least ten times as much as just buying a modern computer. About that time I also bought a laser color printer that both needed to have serial interface and drivers for NT4 without the last service pack!

At an other place we had a BioRad Scintillator to measure radioactivity, it had to be connected to a 8086 computer as the minimum baudrate on 286 was to fast, this was at the time hen the blue and white G3 came out. So there is a lot of old equipment hooked up to really old computers out there that is expensive to replace. At the same time e also had a platereader hooked up to a Mac Plus... :)
    dewmewatto_cobradarkvaderFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Ok, this is now 30 years ago. I was working for a corporation that was using a DEC terminal system using tapes,  punch cards and drives the size of a car wheel. While totally obsolete from a tech standpoint, the manufacturer still trained their technicians in Mai aiming this ma home, because together my the second last one in use in my country that gave enough business to make it profitable for them. 

And just the other day I had to rip a CD and rummaging through my garage I was so happy that I’m some dark corner I still had some external drive lying around. 

No kidding, my neighbor started a shop for used vinyl some weeks ago. Now he’s also selling lots of CDs and video tapes. 

Anybody still rocking a VCR out there?

Fast paced tech can have an astounding lifespan. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 19
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    I have kept a DVD/VCR combo unit in reserve. Haven’t used it for at leas four years I would guess. I doubt the DVD still works, it would suffer laser rot by now. And the heads on the VCR would need professional cleaning I suspect.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 19
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    Hardware (and hardware consumables) and file formats should be kept alive through legislation in order to protect digital legacies.

It wasn't that long ago that various technical committees came to the conclusion that the best long term archival medium was still paper.

Technology will forge ahead and leave behind trails of 'dead' technology that makes it virtually impossible to access data down the road. The process is normal but legislation should be present to protect access to the older hardware and file formats. 

All 'first world' problems but problems nevertheless. 

NASA ran into huge problems trying to access data from some Apollo missions and even today the problem of 'digital legacies' is only beginning to be looked at by the various digital 'gatekeepers'. Legislation will catch up to that too at some point. 

darkvader
  • Reply 10 of 19
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    avon b7 said:
    Hardware (and hardware consumables) and file formats should be kept alive through legislation in order to protect digital legacies.
    Or, people should take responsibility for their own hardware and data, and migrate to newer hardware and/or formats when their current ones become obsolete. It's not like there's no warning that this is going to happen. Usually, there is a significant period of overlap that facilitates a fairly straightforward migration path.
    watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Big demand would be more than one person making a living in the context of a global market 
    watto_cobramike1
  • Reply 12 of 19
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    mr. h said:
    avon b7 said:
    Or, people should take responsibility for their own hardware and data, and migrate to newer hardware and/or formats when their current ones become obsolete. It's not like there's no warning that this is going to happen. Usually, there is a significant period of overlap that facilitates a fairly straightforward migration path.
    Actually there is zero warning about support lifespan. Something that legislation would take care of.

Migration is an option but a bad one as it does not protect against the problems I detailed. Just ask NASA and many other organisations.

And migration leads to... migration. 

That is not a reasonable solution as it effectively defeats the purpose of archival usage itself and entails huge additional cost. That overlap period typically sees higher costs for the newer technology. 

It would be far easier to simply offer small quantities of hardware to protect against data death. Just like has happened with some floppy disk hardware.

Cloud technology has moved part of the problem into the hands of service providers but how many of us really know what protections are in place for our cloud stored data? 

Mine is on cloud infrastructure and deemed to be up to 99.999999999% secure with redundancy and measures in place to migrate data off of facilities in case of disaster.

It all gets complicated very quickly and most people aren't aware of the implications. 
    darkvader
  • Reply 13 of 19
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    Discovering where some of this legacy technology is hiding is always interesting, especially for readers of AppleInsider who are very much tuned into what Apple is doing and the perception that anything more than two releases old is basically an antique and in serious need if an upgrade - no matter the cost. It may be unimaginable to some readers that in some domains, like the military and industrial process control, systems remain in service for decades. While some components can be upgraded, others cannot, which leads to demand for certain things that are considered obsolete by contemporary standards, like floppy disks.

I'm sure that everyone has their own stories to tell about encountering antique technology from a bygone era. For me, it ranges from having to boot computers from tape reels, which required manually inserting register values and breakpoints in the CPU using hardware switches, to loading a fairly large application from a punched paper tape reader (the system was later upgraded to use Mylar tape), backing up to paper tape, to getting applications via 8" floppies. Then there was the system that I worked with that made use of an analog computer. It required aligning a ruler-like mechanism to best-fit a series of dots that were flashed onto a large phosphorescent panel and would quickly fade away, thus requiring the use of a grease pencil to mark where the dots were. I don't think Apple has ever made a device that requires using a grease pencil on the UI. I know that some of these systems are still in use today.

I imagine the USAF's active B-52 fleet has some interesting museum relic components still being called upon to work properly. These actually are your grandfather's Oldsmobile, maybe even your great-grandfather's, with the radar cross section of a railroad box car, and we still rely on them for front line service. Yikes.

Personally, I still have my BASIC programmable pocket computers, memory cards (2K-8K), and the programs that I wrote for them. The programs are all saved on cassette tapes. Every so often I'll put batteries in one of them, load a program from cassette tape via a special serial port (RS-232) just to see if they still work. So far they all do. However, one of my earlier programmable calculators (not BASIC) has a LCD display that's degraded significantly, which I've since learned is not unusual for early LCD screens. I long ago threw away my first TI calculator, which had an LED readout, because it died. Every now and then I'll see one in an antique mall and think "Hmm, I wonder if that one still works?"
    watto_cobradarkvaderFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 14 of 19
    I was so organized back in the floppy days. I had binders filled with clearly-labeled disks. They were treasure.

I recall spending hours, yes HOURS, downloading 1MB files over a 56k dial-up connection. It would fail and I'd have to start over again. Someone probably picked up a phone in the house.

These days are so different.
    watto_cobraFileMakerFellermuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 15 of 19
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Back in the day, apps were efficient and wrote small files.  Early word processor documents were only slightly larger than the number of characters in the document. 

Overhead in today’s files is enormous.  I can’t believe anyone can accomplish anything today with a 140K floppy or 800K 3.5” drive.   

I’ve still got some Apple ][ software and OS discs.  Many years ago, someone gave me an Apple ][c, but I couldn’t get the drive working. 

For all the taxes we pay and for the size of the military budget, it’s absurd that they still have such old equipment and software in use.    I suppose the government is still running a lot of MS-DOS as well.  
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 19
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    zoetmb said:
    Back in the day, apps were efficient and wrote small files.  Early word processor documents were only slightly larger than the number of characters in the document. 

Overhead in today’s files is enormous.  I can’t believe anyone can accomplish anything today with a 140K floppy or 800K 3.5” drive.   

I’ve still got some Apple ][ software and OS discs.  Many years ago, someone gave me an Apple ][c, but I couldn’t get the drive working. 

For all the taxes we pay and for the size of the military budget, it’s absurd that they still have such old equipment and software in use.    I suppose the government is still running a lot of MS-DOS as well.  
    I'm not going to get into the numerous beneficial reasons why it's done ... but if you use an un-archive utility on a modern word processing document file, for example .docx (Word) or .pages (Pages) document "file" and tell the utility to extract the file contents as if it's a zip archive, you'll see that the word processing "document" is actually a compressed archive package (or structured storage) that includes an entire file system with xml content, binary content, cross references, indices, and metadata pertaining to the "document." It's rather impressive. Believe it or not, at least with some word processors (and other apps like spreadsheets), the specification of the structured storage format is based on an open standard and/or very well documented, which makes importing and exporting content between applications much easier. 

My OMG frame of reference for where storage was "back then" to where it is today is the realization that my first PC's entire storage capacity (hard disk) would only be adequate to store 2-4 music files. Imagine a 25-30 lb computer set up as a "media server" - for playing 3 songs. I hope you like those 3 songs a lot.
    FileMakerFellermuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Anybody still rocking a VCR out there?
    Hell, I’m still rocking a Betamax SL-F1! :smiley: 
    Paul_B
  • Reply 18 of 19
    There is still expensive test equipment that still has a lot of use in electrical engineering labs today that were built before USB thumb drives became popular. Usually the only way to get data off if it is via floppy drive, GPIB or network connection.

That is on point - good on you - lots of data is also stored on tapes - VHS style - Them BiG Boyz.  Until all of that data goes 100 percent digital, the world will lose lots of data - I forget the author but he wrote extensively about it - a google search will get you there.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    avon b7 said:

It wasn't that long ago that various technical committees came to the conclusion that the best long term archival medium was still paper.

Technology will forge ahead and leave behind trails of 'dead' technology that makes it virtually impossible to access data down the road. The process is normal but legislation should be present to protect access to the older hardware and file formats. 

All 'first world' problems but problems nevertheless. 

NASA ran into huge problems trying to access data from some Apollo missions and even today the problem of 'digital legacies' is only beginning to be looked at by the various digital 'gatekeepers'. Legislation will catch up to that too at some point. 

Agreed. Maybe this would keep politicians and technocrats focused on old technology that they may understand rather than trying to legislate the future of cutting edge technology.