M2 Extreme Mac Pro due in 2023, MacBook Pro still in 2022

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited October 2022
Following the iPhone and iPad launches, attention has tuned to Apple's impending Mac updates, but while MacBook Pro updates are expected soon, a report claims a Mac Pro refresh is still being worked on for a 2023 release.

The new Mac Pro could be smaller than the last Intel one.
The new Mac Pro could be smaller than the last Intel one.

Apple has already covered most of its main products as part of its fall launches, with the Mac segment yet to see changes. As speculation mounts about Apple's Mac updates, it seems that at least one product will arrive in 2023, instead of in 2022.

According to Mark Gurman's "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, Apple is preparing its Apple Silicon Mac Pro to replace the last Intel Mac in the catalog. Even with an increase of internal testing, it is reckoned that the model will not be out in time for 2022, but will be a 2023 launch instead.

The New Mac Pro will apparently have chips twice to four times more powerful than the still-unreleased M2 Max, which could be called the M2 Ultra and M2 Extreme, as hinted at in July. The chips could offer 24 or 48 CPU cores, as well as 76 to 152 graphics cores, and could sport as much as 256GB of memory.

Gurman says one configuration being tested consists of a 24-core CPU with 16 performance cores and 8 efficiency cores, as well as 76 graphics cores and 192GB of memory.

On a more short-term basis, Gurman also offers that the 14-inch MacBook Pro and 16-inch MacBook Pro are still on to launch "within the coming months," probably within 2022. Options will include the M2 Pro and M2 Max, with the latter thought to have 12 cores including 8 performance and 4 efficiency cores, as well as 38 graphics cores and up to 64GB of memory.

The Mac mini is also not forgotten about, with it thought to include the M2 chip. Though Apple has reportedly tested an M2 Pro version, Gurman doesn't offer whether Apple will actually move forward with the model.

The New Mac mini is also rumored to have a design overhaul, including a thinner aluminum chassis with a plexiglass-like top cover, and two rubber feet.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Perhaps Apple will start Mac Pro on 3nm, possibly branded as M3, or maybe just it’s own thing separate from the M series
    mac daddy zeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 26
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    So have the rumors of a 27” (or larger) gone away? Or have they phased that out altogether?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 26
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    My guess would be that Apple will have a Mac event in November for the M2 Mini and MacBook Pros. At that they will announce the Mac Pro, technically achieving their two year transition deadline,  but it won’t ship until the new year. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 26
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    If Steve were here Apple would have completed its transition on time... /s
    DAalsethnubusFred257watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 26
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    mac_dog said:
    So have the rumors of a 27” (or larger) gone away? Or have they phased that out altogether?
    If you are referring to an updated iMac I think that Elvis has left the building on that one. Not hearing anything recently.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    macxpress said:
    Still waiting on that 3GHz G5?  ;)
    blastdoorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 26
    nubusnubus Posts: 386member
    Perhaps Apple will start Mac Pro on 3nm, possibly branded as M3, or maybe just it’s own thing separate from the M series
    Could Apple kill Mac Pro and let Mac be "limited" to Studio with Mx Ultra for now? Having an enclosure with space for PCI cards and storage might not make sense as the GPU is fused to the CPU. Add driver problems and there might not be any cards to use. USB 4v2 and "Next gen Thunderbolt" are not ready to ship but those could remove the need PCI-based cards. Doing a Mac Pro M2 with an enclosure and then kill it next year seems like a lot of work. Doing a Mac Studio with Ultra M3 and saying "this is the future"... could it be an option?

Apple wouldn't need volume production of 3nm/M3, and TSMC started 3nm production in September.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 26
    nubus said:
    Could Apple kill Mac Pro and let Mac be "limited" to Studio with Mx Ultra for now? Having an enclosure with space for PCI cards and storage might not make sense as the GPU is fused to the CPU. Add driver problems and there might not be any cards to use. USB 4v2 and "Next gen Thunderbolt" are not ready to ship but those could remove the need PCI-based cards. Doing a Mac Pro M2 with an enclosure and then kill it next year seems like a lot of work. Doing a Mac Studio with Ultra M3 and saying "this is the future"... could it be an option?

Apple wouldn't need volume production of 3nm/M3, and TSMC started 3nm production in September.
    When they announced the Studio they specifically said the Mac Pro was coming at a later date. I doubt they are ditching it. 
    blastdoorAlex1Nwatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 9 of 26
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    It’s doubtful. The Mac Pro is a type of computer that tends to use very mature fabs due to the amount of silicon needed, the amount of verification and qualification needed, etc. 

What holds it back is that it only sells something like 100k units a year. They aren’t going to devote a lot of resources to updating it, it is not going to have schedule pressure to update it, etc. 

The technological challenge for the Mac Pro is probably the silicon bridges and the PCIe IO. The core chip is just the M2 Max CPU, which goes into the MBP. The rest is bridging 2 to 4 of them together in manner where they don’t lose too much performance, and having enough PCIe IO. 

They still have to answer how more GPU performance gets in the box. 172 cores isn’t enough. It should be however many that a 1400 W PSU can power. So about 600 GPU cores?
    PatchyThePirateV.3DAalsethAlex1Negold44watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 26
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,296member
    If the Mac Studio cooling solution can handle the ‘extreme’ I hope they make it an option. Personally, I don’t need whatever extra expansion a Mac Pro might provide — I just want the CPU power. But I’m curious to see what else the Pro offers beyond the SOC. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 26
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    macxpress said:
    Don’t say things like that. Steve had plenty of screwups, including late product launches.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 26
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    nubus said:

I don’t see how that could happen. It would destroy their credibility. They said there would be one, and so there will. We don’t know what it will be however. But there will be something. We didn’t expect what the current Mac Pro turned out to be either.
    Alex1Nmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 26
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    melgross said:
    macxpress said:
    Don’t say things like that. Steve had plenty of screwups, including late product launches.
    You missed the /s I guess 
    Alex1Ntmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 26
    blastdoor said:
    If the Mac Studio cooling solution can handle the ‘extreme’ I hope they make it an option. Personally, I don’t need whatever extra expansion a Mac Pro might provide — I just want the CPU power. But I’m curious to see what else the Pro offers beyond the SOC. 
    The Studio already uses copper for the heat sink and heat pipes on both sides of the Ultra SoC. You don't use copper unless you have to as it is more expensive. They don't have any easy things left to transfer more heat, and an Extreme would double the heat needed to be moved out of the box. The Extreme is going to be a 400 W SoC or so. So, look at an Nvidia RTX 4080, 4090 "card" or a Mac Pro dual GPU MPX module, and double the volume, at least. Notionally, double the size of the Mac Studio.

I just hope they continue to offer 8 PCIe slots. Just modify a 2019 Mac Pro box like they did the initial M1 round. They don't need to do anything fancy with the box. The biggest issue they have to work is the poor performance scaling with GPU cores, and putting in more CPUs and GPUs in the box than the native one. The Ultra really should have GB5 Metal scores around 120k to 140k. It scores 90k. That is very poor scaling. Improving GPU core count performance scaling could buy them 20% to 40% performance improvement without expending too much power or cores. Adding more cores and improving the scaling efficiency could make for a nice 40% to 80% performance improvement at each power tier.
    Alex1Nelijahgblastdoorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 26
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    nubus said:
    They could have done this but not now that they said they would make a Mac Pro. The Mac Studio is powerful enough to cover the same performance level that most Mac Pro buyers are buying. The highest end Intel Mac Pro is still another 2-3x faster.
    tht said:
    They still have to answer how more GPU performance gets in the box. 172 cores isn’t enough. It should be however many that a 1400 W PSU can power. So about 600 GPU cores?
    While 172 cores wouldn't quite reach high-end PC workstations, it would still make for a very fast Mac. This would be 50-60TFLOPs. A 4090 is around 80TFLOPs and a 4090ti around 95TFLOPs. Being within 50% of the highest-end competing GPUs is good enough IMO.

For marketing purposes, it would be nice to be able to claim the first 100TFLOPs GPU. An overclocked 4090 can reach this. This would need 320+ cores i.e quad Ultras instead of dual Ultras (around $17k+). I don't think the market is enough to justify it any more. It's worthwhile in some markets but it means designing a whole machine around this small use-case.

Dual Ultras can be done much more easily and 172 cores is likely based on M2 (N5P), 25% more cores than M1.

M1 (8-core) -> M2 (10-core)
    M1 Pro (16-core) -> M2 Pro (20-core)
    M1 Max (32-core) -> M2 Max (40-core)
    M1 Ultra (64-core) -> M2 Ultra (80-core)
    M2 Extreme (160-core)

M3 allows for 70% increase in density over this (272-core).

I think most Mac Pro buyers would be happy with 172-core GPUs for under $10k.
    tht said:
    blastdoor said:
    The biggest issue they have to work is the poor performance scaling with GPU cores, and putting in more CPUs and GPUs in the box than the native one. The Ultra really should have GB5 Metal scores around 120k to 140k. It scores 90k. That is very poor scaling.
    There does seem to be something off in some scenarios. In the Blender Metal addition they have been making adjustments to make better use of the cache and getting a 15% gain. Hopefully they are finding where the software isn't scaling well and either fixing it in the drivers or different hardware design. M2 real-world performance jumped 40-100% vs M1 in some cases so it seems like they are fixing things beyond raw hardware.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 16 of 26
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    If they’re testing 192GB RAM and the current Air can have 24GB, then I’d hope an Extreme Mac Pro configuration could have 384GB RAM and that the new 16” M2 MBP could have up to 96GB.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 26
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    blastdoor said:
    The cooler they use for the M1 Ultra in the Mac Studio is massively overspecified. In every test I've seen, fully loading all the processor and GPU cores, the chip gets up to about 55ºC and the fans never leave idle. I'm guessing they left a ridiculous amount of thermal headroom for people who want to bring it on-site to edit video live or whatever outside of a 22ºC office.

I suspect the real challenge wouldn't be the cooler. The M1 Ultra is HUGE. Putting a whole other M1 Ultra next to it probably isn't possible in the Mac Studio enclosure.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 26
    With the great performance of even the lowly M1 MacBook Air, It is hard to imagine what Apple could present with an M series MacPro. The specs are already off the charts.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 26
    MisterKit said:
    With the great performance of even the lowly M1 MacBook Air, It is hard to imagine what Apple could present with an M series MacPro. The specs are already off the charts.
    It's pretty easy to imagine what Apple could do with 1400 W. The Mac Studio with M1 Ultra is 215 W Max. Put 6 of those in a Mac Pro box and you get 96 CPU p-cores and 384 GPU cores. More if Apple limits the simultaneous loading of CPU and GPU cores.

The issue is whether Apple is willing. They may think that there isn't a market for such a machine. Arguably, such a machine could part of a network Mac (cloud) offering, so there may be a market for it. Server hardware is a race to the bottom, and this market has no interest in Apple's intangibles. But, if there is a market for ARM macOS VMs, then perhaps. A desktop workstation version of the same hardware would then be for certain engineering and content creation customers who can take advantage of the hardware.

The PC market is absolutely willing to expend more power. All the current gen and next x86 CPUs and GPUs have higher power consumption and will have ever higher power consumption. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 26
    macxpress said:
    Maybe on marketing terms, but not in reality. Still remember the day Apple reported the transition to Intel is over. At that time they simply stopped selling the PowerPC based Servers and it took several months to at last introduce the new Intel based servers.

So following that lead Apple now could simply stop the manufacturing and sale of Intel based Macs and declare 'mission accomplished'. Obviously that would just happen (no press release about dead products). ... and personally I think the Pro desktops are the 'xServers' of this transition. Maybe they'll disappear as well in the next few years.
    edited October 2022 watto_cobra