iOS 16.2 surfaces relevant Apple News stories in the Weather app

Posted:
in iOS
Apple is introducing integration between the Weather and News apps, as noticed in the latest iOS 16.2 beta.

Weather and News
Weather and News

People in cities such as San Francisco will find weather-related news stories and reports, which will likely be available for more regions over time. A link to a story will appear in the Weather app, and tapping it brings the user over to the News app to read it.

It's the latest integration with Apple News, as previously Apple started surfacing relevant stories inside the Stocks app.

Weather stories in the Weather app
Weather stories in the Weather app

Another new feature coming to iOS 16.2 is Freeform, a brand-new whiteboard app from Apple to help teams collaborate on projects and ideas. The update will also improve Crash Detection for the Apple Watch Series 8, Apple Watch Ultra, and iPhone 14 lineup.

Finally, the company will add performance improvements for Homekit accessories in iOS 16.2 with a new architecture.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I hope we have a toggle to turn these off. One thing I love about the Weather app is that it's clean and focused on they key weather details. I hate apps like The Weather Channel that have videos and stories in the same view - it's cluttered and I can't help but think "great, more ads!"
    elijahglolliverDAalsethwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 4
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,374member
    This is stupid.

First they kidnap our favorite iOS/iPadOS weather app (Dark Sky) and put it on death row for no good reason. Their designated replacement is coming along but still only tolerable and overly fluffy and gadgety. Now this - using the weather tool as an advertising platform to cross sell Apple News. Record profits, immeasurable brand loyalty, and no real competition in some product lines and they still feel they need to "sell us" on more stuff at every opportunity. 

Enough already. Please stop.
    elijahgtokyojimudecoderringappleinsideruserlolliverDAalsethmuthuk_vanalingamdarkvader
  • Reply 3 of 4
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    I really hope that can be turned off.

I am not interested in using Apple News, and don’t want my weather reported polluted with pointers to no doubt incorrect, extraneous information written by some wet behind the ears, sensationalising journalist (if you doubt, look at the headline in that Chronicle article in the picture. Contemptible).  I use a high level weather app I pay a decent monthly subscription to, but was considering turning it off as the built in app had significantly improved, if still too full of guff.  If this egregious fluff feature can’t be turned off, that won’t be happening.

a “feature” no doubt trying to get people to use News.  I am not interested in Apple “curating” anything for me. Specially weather information.
    edited November 2022 elijahgdecoderringtwokatmewDAalsethdewmedarkvader
  • Reply 4 of 4
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster

I fear for Apple. I love the products, but slowly they’ve changed. The thing with Apple News in the Weather App is not really a big deal, but neither were the increasing number of ads in the AppStore. Neither were any of the other things that have slipped in, the lapses, the mistakes. It’s like the death of a thousand cuts. Slowly it feels like Apple is becoming a giant grey corporation that puts profits above all else. Above even the user experience. I seem to remember Jobs was once asked about Apple being profitable. He replied something to the effect, and I don’t remember the exact quote, make great products and the profits would follow. Apple is now so focussing on profits that the products are slowly, one incremental bit at a time, becoming less great. Ok, the apologists, and for a long time I would count myself among them, would poo poo the idea. But increasingly  I’ve been seeing compromises in the user experience, in software quality, in options, in pricing. 

In many ways Apple’s image is tarnishing. They aren’t the upstart company with ‘the computer for the rest of us” any more. They have grown into a giant mega corporation, and I fear in doing that they have forgotten their roots. Forgotten what drew us to them over the competition. Forgotten what made them so appealing. It is why things like this now seem like a good idea to them
    edited November 2022 darkvader