AirTags catch United Airlines in lie about missing luggage

Posted:
in iPhone
A woman used multiple locations of AirTags she planted in her luggage before traveling to catch United Airlines lying about the security of her bags.

Valerie Szybala has taken to Twitter to document how United Airlines lost her luggage, then proceeded to insist she was wrong about where her AirTag said it was.

I'd just like everyone to know that @united has lost track of my bag and is lying about it. My apple AirTag shows that it has been sitting in a residential apartment complex for over a day. Out back by the dumpsters, I have found other emptied United Airlines bags. pic.twitter.com/fcoq4nj3zb

-- valerie szybala. (@vszyb)

Later in the thread, Szybala explains why she was compelled began tweeting about her situation. In a posted copy of her messages with United Airlines support, she was told to "calm down," and "we will deliver the bag to you, don't worry."

However, that conversation took place after Szybala had used her AirTags to track the luggage to a dumpster behind a residential apartment. Photographs, perhaps from Google Street View, show other United Airlines luggage strewn by the dumpster and apparently emptied.

In her messages conversation, she repeatedly informs customer support that she has found the location of the luggage because of her AirTags. When support finally acknowledges this, they still repeat that she is wrong, the "bag is safe at the Delivery services distribution center."

Szybala also reports that once she "pressed them to send me the details of their lost/stolen bag policy," the support rep stopped responding.

At some point after this, though, Szybala's AirTag showed that the baggage was on the move and was seemingly now at a McDonalds. Shortly afterwards, she reports that it left McDonalds -- and returned to the apartment with the dumpster.

United Airlines has not commented publicly beyond an initial Twitter support message asking for details.

This is not the first time that AirTags have revealed unexpected journeys of the luggage they are placed in. In June 2022, one man tracked down his missing baggage to an office in Melbourne Airport. Then in August 2022, a couple visiting Portugal reported that their luggage got to see more of the country than they did.

Also in late 2022, Lufthansa briefly banned AirTags on a hopefully mistaken interpretation of FCC regulations regarding batteries. It then reversed the decision.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    It was worth buying a 4 pack just throw a
    few in my family’s luggage and confirm they were on the plane with us when we went on vacation. 
    mike1napoleon_phoneapartbloggerblogravnorodomtwokatmewJaiOh81fred1jose8964StrangeDaysbluefire1
  • Reply 2 of 27
     However, that conversation took place after Szybala had used her AirTags to track the luggage to a dumpster behind a residential apartment.”

And then:

At some point after this, though, Szybala's AirTag showed that the baggage was on the move and was seemingly now at a McDonalds. Shortly afterwards, she reports that it left McDonalds -- and returned to the apartment with the dumpster.”

I suspect AI writers may also work for United support as they can’t seem to make up their mind on where the bag is either. Probably worth noting the customer in question said the bag was at an apartment complex not at a dumpster. That was AIs crack journalism team adding some artistic flourish. I
    edited January 2023
  • Reply 3 of 27
    “ However, that conversation took place after Szybala had used her AirTags to track the luggage to a dumpster behind a residential apartment.”

And then:

“ At some point after this, though, Szybala's AirTag showed that the baggage was on the move and was seemingly now at a McDonalds. Shortly afterwards, she reports that it left McDonalds -- and returned to the apartment with the dumpster.”

I suspect AI writers may also work for United support as they can’t seem to make up their mind on where the bag is either. Probably worth noting the customer in question said the bag was at an apartment complex not at a dumpster. That was AIs crack journalism team adding some artistic flourish. I
    I suggest you re-read the article and what Szybala said.  The quote by the customer explicitly says it's "Out back by the dumpsters".   I'm not sure where your confusion is?
    mike1bageljoeytwokatmewjas99JaiOh81fred1scstrrfStrangeDaysronnpulseimages
  • Reply 4 of 27
    ITGUYINSD said:
    “ However, that conversation took place after Szybala had used her AirTags to track the luggage to a dumpster behind a residential apartment.”

And then:

“ At some point after this, though, Szybala's AirTag showed that the baggage was on the move and was seemingly now at a McDonalds. Shortly afterwards, she reports that it left McDonalds -- and returned to the apartment with the dumpster.”

I suggest you re-read the article and what Szybala said.  The quote by the customer explicitly says it's "Out back by the dumpsters".   I'm not sure where your confusion is?
    I suggest you follow your own advice. This is pretty easy and I'll quote the relevant parts.

1. AI reported "Szybala had used her AirTags to track the luggage to a dumpster behind a residential apartment.”  

2. What Szybala actually said was "
    Out back by the dumpsters, I have found other emptied United Airlines bags." That is other bags, not their bag as AI reported. You also inexplicably opted to selectively quote in an attempt to make it say something it didn't. 

3. AI then reports that the bag is moving around which means it isn't sitting out by a dumpster. 

The confusing part is that AI just made up part of the story. It's poor writing/editing on the part of AI. 
    edited January 2023
  • Reply 5 of 27
    omasouomasou Posts: 613member
    At no time was she smart enough to inform the police so that they could apprehend the United baggage handler who is stealing luggage?

Instead she posts to Twitter to guaranteeing the perp will not be identified.
    M68000pulseimages
  • Reply 6 of 27
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,409member
    It was worth buying a 4 pack just throw a
    few in my family’s luggage and confirm they were on the plane with us when we went on vacation. 

I just did the same thing. No issues with my luggage, fortunately, but I did learn a lot about how Air Tags worked since it was the first time any of my tagged items were
    'separated" from me. Each time I received a notification and the bags were where they were supposed to be I stopped the alerts for that location. Was very happy with the whole process.
    dewmejas99gregoriusm
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Photographs, perhaps from Google Street View, show other United Airlines luggage strewn by the dumpster and apparently emptied.

In her messages conversation, she repeatedly informs customer support that she has found the location of the luggage because of her AirTags. When support finally acknowledges this, they still repeat that she is wrong, the "bag is safe at the Delivery services distribution center."

Szybala also reports that once she "pressed them to send me the details of their lost/stolen bag policy," the support rep stopped responding.

Bureaucracies that behave like this are clear indicators of poor management.  Anything that helps hold accountable poorly led teams of people is fine by me. They’d have wasted hours of her time if not for the AirTags, and maybe that’s the point for them.  
    jas99CluntBaby92ronngregoriusm
  • Reply 8 of 27
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,122member
    I’m curious about what led to the baggage become missing to begin with.  Was it a baggage handler?  Was it someone that walked into airport and stole the bags from baggage carousel?  
    ravnorodomStrangeDaysCluntBaby92Hedware
  • Reply 9 of 27
    I think in the future airline should offer their own AirTag to customer for a $2 per luggage and per one-way trip rental. The tracking system will be integrated with their system. Customer just download their airline app and track it from there.
    CluntBaby92
  • Reply 10 of 27
    XedXed Posts: 2,822member
    sflocal said:
    I’m curious about what led to the baggage become missing to begin with.  Was it a baggage handler?  Was it someone that walked into airport and stole the bags from baggage carousel?  
    That's a good point. From contractors at airports, to more lax security at certain airports this may not be the fault of United, even if their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.
    jas99CluntBaby92
  • Reply 11 of 27
    omasou said:
    At no time was she smart enough to inform the police so that they could apprehend the United baggage handler who is stealing luggage?

Generally speaking there has to be evidence of a crime for the police to do anything. United said they were in possession of the bag and would get it delivered. Guess what ultimately happened? They got her bag to her. It was in the a currier truck not an apartment. I guess we can spin this question around on you? At no point were you smart enough to find what was actually happening and instead just posted criticism in a public place? Sounds like she and you have something in common. 
    StrangeDaysravnorodomdewme
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Pro tip for Apple Insider writers. Don't jump all over some random tweet because it mentions Apple. Or if you are going to write an article based on some random person tweeting actually follow the thread rather than introduce your own conjecture. 

1. The bag wasn't at a dumpster. 

2. The pictures were pictures she took, not something that she found on Google maps. 

3. She has the bag back, a United currier had it and got it to her.... So United was actually right. 

There is literally no story here. 

n2itivguyrcomeauCluntBaby92uraharadewmewookie01tokyojimugregoriusm
  • Reply 13 of 27
    This entire story and comment thread need to be put in the aforementioned dumpster where they belong.
    CluntBaby92pulseimageslordjohnwhorfinuraharadewmebluefire1
  • Reply 14 of 27
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,055member
    omasou said:

Ah yes, when all else fails - blame the victim! Insult her intelligence for trying to get the airline charged with her belongings to handle it. 

Had she gone to the police first you people would be saying she could have dealt with the business first. Roll eyes 
    muthuk_vanalingampulseimageslordjohnwhorfinurahara
  • Reply 15 of 27
    omasouomasou Posts: 613member
    omasou said:

Generally speaking there has to be evidence of a crime for the police to do anything. United said they were in possession of the bag and would get it delivered. Guess what ultimately happened? They got her bag to her. It was in the a currier truck not an apartment. I guess we can spin this question around on you? At no point were you smart enough to find what was actually happening and instead just posted criticism in a public place? Sounds like she and you have something in common. 
    No where in the article did it say that she received her bag. When I posted she had not posted on twitter about the outcome.

Perhaps you should should be smart enough to check before posting and attempting to criticize and shame folks in a public place.
    ravnorodomradarthekatbageljoeylordjohnwhorfinurahara
  • Reply 16 of 27
    XedXed Posts: 2,822member
    JP234 said:
    Tip I learned: Now that everyone and his uncle know about AirTags, when you travel, it's wise to hide them well (we made our own pockets in the lining of our checked bags) so that the thieves don't immediately remove them and put them on something else.
    AirTags aren't the best option for tracking anything that could be stolen because of their anti-stalking features. You can't have it both ways and Apple has clearly gone with trying to prevent stalking over making it a tool designed for tracking stolen goods. Lost and misplaced items it's perfect for, but if the thief has an iPhone and is traveling your stolen item then they will get a notification letting them know there's an AirTag they need to locate and disable.
    kestral
  • Reply 17 of 27
    omasou said:

Ah yes, when all else fails - blame the victim! Insult her intelligence for trying to get the airline charged with her belongings to handle it. 

Had she gone to the police first you people would be saying she could have dealt with the business first. Roll eyes 
    Umm, she got the bag back. It seemed it was with the delivery people and other than being slow and not informative of the process, a bag (likely a bunch of bags) did not make it to the luggage carrousel and and after a long delay, it was delivered to the owner in the end. Sometimes it is not a good idea to see how the sausage is made.

I had bags sit at an airport where I missed my original connection and the bag was not placed on the next flight with me (and some fellow passengers). I saw the bag sit there for 3 days before the bag was finally forwarded to the local airport. I was unable ti reach a human being to actually tell them where the bags were, and the only time I was able to speak to someone who knew anything was watching the AirTag move form the airport to some commercial budding. I was able to streetview it and saw a courier sign on the building. I called the number on the sigh and spoke to the delivery people who confirmed they had he bag and were bringing it to the hotel.
    ravnorodomMrBunsidemystigo
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Behind an apartment block, by the dumpster would indicate to me that the bag was stolen...
    omasoupulseimageslordjohnwhorfinurahara
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Pro tip for Apple Insider writers. Don't jump all over some random tweet because it mentions Apple. Or if you are going to write an article based on some random person tweeting actually follow the thread rather than introduce your own conjecture. 

1. The bag wasn't at a dumpster. 

2. The pictures were pictures she took, not something that she found on Google maps. 

3. She has the bag back, a United currier had it and got it to her.... So United was actually right. 

There is literally no story here. 

You're incorrect on all counts. Read the latest updates:
    Thread by @vszyb on Thread Reader App – Thread Reader App
    ravnorodompulseimageslordjohnwhorfin
  • Reply 20 of 27
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,898moderator
    Xed said:
    JP234 said:
    Tip I learned: Now that everyone and his uncle know about AirTags, when you travel, it's wise to hide them well (we made our own pockets in the lining of our checked bags) so that the thieves don't immediately remove them and put them on something else.
    AirTags aren't the best option for tracking anything that could be stolen because of their anti-stalking features. You can't have it both ways and Apple has clearly gone with trying to prevent stalking over making it a tool designed for tracking stolen goods. Lost and misplaced items it's perfect for, but if the thief has an iPhone and is traveling your stolen item then they will get a notification letting them know there's an AirTag they need to locate and disable.
    What should happen is that the notification to that iPhone should be logged somewhere so that law enforcement can eventually see that that particular iPhone got the tracking notification.  In the case of a stolen item law enforcement could then track that iPhone to its owner.