Apple's Advanced Data Protection feature is here - what you need to know

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    Advanced Data Protection will likely go through another phase of adoption.  I cannot use it because I have older devices that I need that cannot be updated 16.2.  You cannot have devices that are older associated with your account to use ADP on devices that can be upgraded to 16.2.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    lewklewk Posts: 25member
    I got my recovery key set up but it won't let me turn on the advanced protection because I have other devices on my iCloud account that aren't updated to the latest OS.  The problem for me is that I have older hardware that can't be updated and I don't want to not be able to use my iCloud account on those devices.  So it's a useless new feature as far as I'm concerned.
    byronl
  • Reply 23 of 23
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    lewk said:
    I got my recovery key set up but it won't let me turn on the advanced protection because I have other devices on my iCloud account that aren't updated to the latest OS.  The problem for me is that I have older hardware that can't be updated and I don't want to not be able to use my iCloud account on those devices.  So it's a useless new feature as far as I'm concerned.
    Why would you want Advanced Protection in the first place? It's certainly not a recommendation for the average user. Unless you're a high-profile individual it probably is a useless feature whether all your hardware is compatible or not.  

IMO, it won't be long before some AI member starts a discussion about regrets from doing so because something unusual happened with their account and they can no longer ask Apple's help in recovering it.