M2 Pro and M2 Max MacBook Pro models facing yet another delay

Posted:
in General Discussion
According to a new report, Apple's next-gen 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models, slated to get M2 Pro and M2 Max chips, may be out even later than anticipated.

The newest 13-inch MacBook Pro was unveiled in June, boasting a new M2 chip. Its existence suggested that the larger 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models would release before the end of 2022.

However, during October quarterly earnings call, CEO Tim Cook stated that Apple's product lineup "was set," implying that the new MacBook Pro models would not arrive before year's end.

Now, a new report from DigiTimes suggests that the new models face additional delays. However, it does not say when the M2 Pro and M2 Max MacBook Pro line will launch.

Apple partner TSMC began mass production of its 3-nanometer chip process for the next generations of Mac, iPhone, and other Apple devices in late December. An earlier rumor in June claimed Apple would use the new chip process in the aforementioned MacBook Pro lineup.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo reported in September that Apple had cut orders for the M2 Pro and M2 Max MacBook Pro line as much as 30% before production began.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    It isn’t as though the M1 Pro and max are slouches, but it is allowing Intel and AMD to catch up. And then there is the GPU competition…
    anyway, my daughter has to buy a new machine as the screen on her Intel MBP died (I knew that model was a risk). Anyway, as she is studying engineering the dilemma is what machine to get. Even though the school says any platform OK, the CAD software is Seimens NX. While there is a Mac version, and will run on Mx macs, apparently is an appalling port everyone hates, so not popular, so Seimens doesn’t work on it, so less popular, so less effort by Seimens, endless spiral. But apparently still fast renders on current MBP.

So probably safest to get wintel.
     On the windows side for 3D CAD work workstations like Dell Precision or Lenovo Thinkpad P series are recommended, preferring  32 GB of RAM, discrete GPU like a T550 and as much speed per CPU core as you can afford. 

Interestingly, looking at the price and screen options of those babies makes an MBP look very good value, often cheaper and still beating them in raw speed and battery life.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    nubusnubus Posts: 386member
    M2 is 5nm and now we're talking 3nm. MBP is likely going to skip M2 as the window for launching 5nm is closing and M2 Pro/Max won't offer reasons for upgrading.  iMac and mini can get M2 but MBP is in need of more. 1st generation 3nm and M3 could be it. Then in 2024 even more efficient 3nm and OLED.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    I think you could get 3nm M2 series with no change except the efficiency of a smaller die size ( it could be called M2s). 
    An M3 would be a more advanced SOC (eg any of: more threads, higher frequency, power savings, more efficiency beyond the shrinkage, more powerful GPU) at the same size process.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Now, a new report from DigiTimes suggests that 
    All I needed to see. They are synonymous with unreliable rumours. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Strange. If true, you have to wonder why?

it’s time for an update. 

Doubtful that it’s a strategic choice. 

Initial 3nm yield issues? NAND sourcing? 

Performance not meeting expectations? 

Another product soaking up the available chipsets? 

Sad news if true. Every day equals less impact at launch. 

Looking forward to getting a new MBP 16 plus (hopefully) 30” iMac combo for home snd mobile. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,297member
    I wouldn't get hopes up for 3nm M2 Pro/Max. I suspect the explanation for this delay is very simple: COVID+Xi. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Hmmmm... I hadn't read that Kuo report about cutting orders before production even began. The only thing I can imagine is that the M2 Pro and Max chips, compared to M1 Pro and Max, offered only very modest improvements similar to what we saw in base models of M2 vs M1. Consider that if the new Air hadn't been an all-new design--if the M2 had simply been dropped into the existing Air--there would be almost no reason to upgrade. It's also interesting that Apple hasn't bothered to spec bump the iMac 24" to an M2 chip. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    blastdoor said:
    I wouldn't get hopes up for 3nm M2 Pro/Max. I suspect the explanation for this delay is very simple: COVID+Xi. 
    A delay in manufacturing would have affected the higher volume models too - the Air and 24" iMac and especially iPhones.

The Pro MBPs will be around 1-2m units per quarter vs 50-60m for iPhone.

I'm beginning to wonder if Apple is going to put the pro MBPs on a 2 year cycle. They did yearly upgrades on Intel because the chips were available and it makes sense for the highest volume Macs but it's probably not worth the manufacturing cost for the Pro models. They can sell the M1 model for 2 years at the same price and avoid the additional cost.

They can skip M2 Pro and go directly to M3 Pro later in 2023 with a near 2x gain in performance vs M1 Pro.

They already got near 2 years since the Intel model, which was November 2019. The M1 Pro/Max were in October 2021. They could follow that trend and launch M3 Pro/Max in Q3 2023. WWDC in June at the earliest where they can launch the updated Mac Pro.

If they don't delay it and instead launch M2 Pro in March, they'd have to push M3 Pro into 2024. That wouldn't be too bad but out of those two outcomes, I'd say M3 Pro in June-October is better than M2 Pro in March with M3 Pro in 2024.

A 15" M3 MBA would be the big item this year.

TSMC started volume manufacturing in December:

https://pr.tsmc.com/english/news/2986

There have been suggestions Apple will be first to use 3nm but in the 2nd half of the year due to the iPhone launch:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4535751-apple-first-to-use-tsmcs-3-nm-process

That doesn't make sense that the first chips to hit retail would be 9 months after volume manufacturing starts, they only need 3 months. They could launch M3 Air with a new 15" model in March and Pro models a bit later along with the Mac Pro.
    watto_cobrabestkeptsecret