Google bizarrely believes that iPhone photos can be fixed on a Pixel

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member
    Interact with an Android user and you're liable to be sharing your pics with Goople.
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 52
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    TimApple said:
    h2p said:
    I’m a long time iPhone user that just got an Android for app testing. Sorry Android is inferior. That’s not breaking any ground here. But hey, this is my actual 1st experience owning an iPhone knockoff. 
    Inferior? Please remind me how iPhones get their apps updated.. oh right you have to wait for an ENTIRE OS update.
    TimApple said:
    Hopefully it's a good fix since Apple can't get their shit together apparently. 
    And another troll spotted
    igorskywilliamlondonkillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 52
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    gatorguy said:
    tanelorn said:

It's an odd situation in which a Pixel owner could save the day by fixing blurry or low-quality photos from others. Perhaps the iPhone user had unwittingly turned on Low Quality Image Mode in Settings.

It's not entirely bizarre, given that Pixel hardware has been increasingly specialized to run the AI-assisted software. iPhones have a version of Lens available, but friends/family borrow my phone for the instant/live translation, transcription & OCR functions the 7/7Pro chipsets can do within a moment of opening the camera. I borrow their Apple devices to use iOS only software like Procreate when it's the best for something I'm working on.

All the device ecosystems have specific stuff they do particularly well.  
    I use both iPhone and Android for the same reason. There are things my iPhone can accomplish, or at least accomplish better, than my Pixel can.  The same with my Pixel which can do things my iPhone cannot, and some other things it just does better. They're both great phones. I'm not afraid to use both, in fact doing so has been eye-opening. 
    Assigning the term "great" to Android is frankly repulsive, as there's NOTHING redeeming or "great" about these knockoffs, after more than a decade of them trying. But then this came from you, so not surprised by it.
    edited February 2023 igorskywilliamlondonkillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 52
    Gooogle should focus on fixing the screen cracking and disappearing buttons first. Google, Shamesung all make fun of Apple. But they are just Apple followers LOL
    williamlondonmagman1979killroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 52
    It's not bizarre at all, I have a pixel 7 pro and my cousin has asked me to fix her photos taken with her iphone 12 after I fixed my own Christmas photos and shared the edits. While the ad makes no sense given the colors of the message bubbles, RCS has a different color but regular texts look the same regardless of OS they're sent from, it's still a very real request that happens. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 26 of 52
    Say what you want but iPhone cameras are far superior
    killroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 52
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,214member
    Say what you want but iPhone cameras are far superior
    For video? The iPhone is better according to many sources. For photographs? The Pixel wins, again according to many sources.
    muthuk_vanalingamctt_zhFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 28 of 52
    Registered just to make this comment..
    It's hilarious that a majority of the comments on this post (and actually the post itself) have no idea of the actual issue trying to be addressed by Google.
    The issue is compression due to MMS (or multimedia message service) a messaging standard used by mobile devices to send and receive messages. iPhones use iMessage (an apple proprietary standard) to send messages to other iPhones. However, apple, in their walled garden autocracy, does not permit other manufacturers to use this standard in their messaging app. Because of this, when an iPhone user sends a message to a NON-iPhone, the message will use SMS or MMS to transmit the message (SMS is used for text only messages, 160 character limit, no multimedia, MMS is used for over 160 character messages or if multimedia i.e. image or video is included). The issue is that MMS has a file size (usually defined by your mobile carrier and usually around 300kB) so the image sent by the iPhone to an Android phone (which would use MMS protocol) would be compressed from it's original size and quality to a pixelated 300kB mess.
    This has nothing to do with "our cameras are better" or the aforementioned "Photo Unblur" feature (which uses machine learning to apply filters and smoothing to an image) ALREADY available on Pixel devices.

Yes, the use of blue and green bubbles was silly as this is not how it would actually look on Android, however, this is part of their marketing and is simply used to differentiate the iPhone user from the Android user. 

Sources -
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimedia_Messaging_Service
    support.apple.com/en-us/HT207006
    ctt_zhmuthuk_vanalingamavon b7killroyAT-5000FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 29 of 52
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member
    AFanBoi said:
    It's hilarious that a majority of the comments on this post (and actually the post itself) have no idea of the actual issue trying to be addressed by Google.
    The issue is compression due to MMS (or multimedia message service) a messaging standard used by mobile devices to send and receive messages. iPhones use iMessage (an apple proprietary standard) to send messages to other iPhones. However, apple, in their walled garden autocracy, does not permit other manufacturers to use this standard in their messaging app. Because of this, when an iPhone user sends a message to a NON-iPhone, the message will use SMS or MMS to transmit the message (SMS is used for text only messages, 160 character limit, no multimedia, MMS is used for over 160 character messages or if multimedia i.e. image or video is included). The issue is that MMS has a file size (usually defined by your mobile carrier and usually around 300kB) so the image sent by the iPhone to an Android phone (which would use MMS protocol) would be compressed from it's original size and quality to a pixelated 300kB mess.
    This has nothing to do with "our cameras are better" or the aforementioned "Photo Unblur" feature (which uses machine learning to apply filters and smoothing to an image) ALREADY available on Pixel devices.

Yes, the use of blue and green bubbles was silly as this is not how it would actually look on Android, however, this is part of their marketing and is simply used to differentiate the iPhone user from the Android user. 

Sources -

It isn’t Apple’s job to help Google in anyway they are competitors and therefore you can be different, there is no need to be the same. iMessage was created by Apple to give the iPhone a messaging system that was supported among all of its devices. None of the other messaging programs/systems supported Apple, so Apple had to build something as usual from the ground up. That’s what happens when you are not a monopoly in any market something that consistently gets forgotten.

Apple currently has the same problem they had 10-12 years ago in AAA games, but you don’t find Apple crying about it publicly or petitioning the government to re-shuffle the deck just for Apple.

As usual, Apple probably is just gonna roll up its leaves and get busy, however creating something, a new ecosystem hardware and software from scratch takes time. A long-term that approach is has been very profitable for Apple.
    edited February 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 52
    danox said:
    AFanBoi said:

Sources -

It isn’t Apple’s job to help Google in anyway they are competitors and therefore you can be different, there is no need to be the same. iMessage was created by Apple to give the iPhone a messaging system that was supported among all of its devices. None of the other messaging programs/systems supported Apple, so Apple had to build something as usual from the ground up. That’s what happens when you are not a monopoly in any market something that consistently gets forgotten.

Apple currently has the same problem they had 10-12 years ago in AAA games, but you don’t find Apple crying about it publicly or petitioning the government to re-shuffle the deck just for Apple.

As usual, Apple probably is just gonna roll up its leaves and get busy, however creating something, a new ecosystem hardware and software from scratch takes time. A long-term that approach is has been very profitable for Apple.
    Did I say anywhere it was Apple's fault? While there are probably more benefits to building an open system like RCS, there are obvious benefits to a closed system like Apple's as well; mainly the benefit of increased security. While Tim Apple's "just get your grandma an iPhone" approach might work for some, there are MILLIONS of people to whom iPhones are simply not an option. For those people, Google is trying to make the experience the best they can. 
  • Reply 31 of 52
    mknelson said:
    Send me a picture in messages, I can save it to photos and edit it there. That includes colour adjustments and some "focus" related tools.

Androids can probably do the same thing.

Still, strange ad!

Just an ad to gaslight the public to buy their phone.
    edited February 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 52
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,214member
    killroy said:
    mknelson said:
    Send me a picture in messages, I can save it to photos and edit it there. That includes colour adjustments and some "focus" related tools.

Androids can probably do the same thing.

Still, strange ad!

Just a ad to gaslight the public to buy their phone.
    Well, of course it is. That's the same reason Apple said "what's on your phone stays on your phone". Sell more phones, no other reason.
    ctt_zhmuthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 33 of 52
    h2p said:
    …to be more specific in my comments… the organization of the OS is inferior as it seems chaotic. They loaded it up with games I didn’t ask for. Again, iPhone user, so making basic settings changes were difficult to figure out. 

One bright spot. Google apps work great (as well as they can since I believe Gmail is poorly designed but I do use it.)
    As a serious question, because I feel that Android and iOS are actually on equal footing and realistically meant for different people, what phone did you get and what carrier?

The reason I ask is that a lot of bloatware is actually dictated by carriers. It's wild connecting an unlocked phone to, say, AT&T, and as soon as the SIM is recognized it starts downloading whatever AT&T dictates. 

The big difference there is that Apple basically has the pull to tell the carriers to go kick rocks. 

I once had an LG G6 at work and it would automatically install Sprint apps without even popping a notification.

My personal phone is currently a Pixel 6 Pro on Google Fi and the only included apps are first-party Google apps (Gmail, Messages, Maps, Calendar, etc.)

Verizon is REALLY bad with bloatware because they force phone manufacturers to bake their apps right into the system partition, which means they can't even be removed. 
    gatorguyFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 34 of 52
    LOL. Google with yet another stupid ad that makes no sense. 

“Oh gee. Let’s do a genius as where we imply that our product is actually better and that the other product needs ours to fix it’s problems.”

This kind of paychological ploy never works outside of 6th grade. 

Either that or they forgot to state that the iPhone in the was the iPhone 3G. 
    So, I have a feeling that there's a bit of info missing here.

iOS will only send full resolution images and video to other iOS devices via iMessage. If an image or video is sent via MMS, iOS drops the resolution far lower than any other app that conforms to the SMS and MMS standards. This was never a problem between Android, Blackberry, Windows Mobile, or Symbian.

I have a friend that is always sharing videos of art she makes with me and she has to send them through email or WhatsApp because they look like they were taken with a potato via MMS.

What I wonder is... Has Google convinced Apple to jump on the RCS wagon? 
    davidc1ctt_zh
  • Reply 35 of 52
    GilmourD said:

“Oh gee. Let’s do a genius as where we imply that our product is actually better and that the other product needs ours to fix it’s problems.”

iOS will only send full resolution images and video to other iOS devices via iMessage. If an image or video is sent via MMS, iOS drops the resolution far lower than any other app that conforms to the SMS and MMS standards. This was never a problem between Android, Blackberry, Windows Mobile, or Symbian.

I have a friend that is always sharing videos of art she makes with me and she has to send them through email or WhatsApp because they look like they were taken with a potato via MMS.

I wish other iPhone users would understand this. When iPhone users send a text to me with pictures or video, to my Google pixel 7 pro, and then tell me it's my fault that they look so terrible, I laugh. I try to explain to them that when I send a text or a of a photo or movie to another Android user, it looks pretty decent. And if we both have RCS, it looks awesome. But the reason that an iPhone user, when sending me a picture or a movie via text looks so terrible is because Apple degrades the image so much when it transfers it out of their platform
    ctt_zh
  • Reply 36 of 52
    My guess is that this will be some variation of the super cool feature called unblur. It does a really good job of unblurring older blurred photos. Probably something will be integrated into Google messages to do it easily.

To do it now you take the photo and put it within Google photos and then use the app to unblur it. 

Btw, does the iPhone have erase it?
    ctt_zh
  • Reply 37 of 52
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    davidc1 said:
    GilmourD said:

I wish other iPhone users would understand this. When iPhone users send a text to me with pictures or video, to my Google pixel 7 pro, and then tell me it's my fault that they look so terrible, I laugh. I try to explain to them that when I send a text or a of a photo or movie to another Android user, it looks pretty decent. And if we both have RCS, it looks awesome. But the reason that an iPhone user, when sending me a picture or a movie via text looks so terrible is because Apple degrades the image so much when it transfers it out of their platform
    And I wish Android users who complain about Apple not using the same technology used by Android devices (RCS, USB-C, etc) would understand that the reason Apple created their own technology in the first place was that nothing existed at the time which was good enough. At the time Apple created iMessage, there was only SMS and MMS. At the time Apple created Lightning, there was only micro/mini USB.

And for those who complain that Apple should have created open standards so that Android manufacturers could use those technologies, you have to understand that Apple is a "technology company" not an "advertising company". As such, they make money by creating and selling technology. Giving that technology away to others undercuts that in most cases. Unlike Google where the technology they create is simply a vessel to harvest data about people so that they can make more money as an advertising company. The more devices they can get their technology onto, the more money they make as an advertiser. So it makes sense to open it up and give it away as much as possible, as long as those using it don't take away their ability to harvest data (hence the GMS program for manufacturers who use Android).

But hey, don't let a rational analysis of the business take away from all the emotional arguments.

edited February 2023 FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 52
    h2p said:
    …to be more specific in my comments… the organization of the OS is inferior as it seems chaotic. They loaded it up with games I didn’t ask for. Again, iPhone user, so making basic settings changes were difficult to figure out. 

One bright spot. Google apps work great (as well as they can since I believe Gmail is poorly designed but I do use it.)

That sounds like a straight up lie lol what android phone did you buy? they don't load them up with random games lmao
  • Reply 39 of 52
    avon b7 said:
    I thought this feature had already been pre-announced by some company.

I saw something on YouTube from a presentation recap and it was mentioned. 

I can't remember which company was going to bring it to market though.

With this ad, I suppose it must have been Google.

EDIT:

Found it. The feature was announced four months ago:  minute 4

It's not that since the phones already have that feature.
  • Reply 40 of 52
    strongy said:
    TimApple said:
    h2p said:
    I’m a long time iPhone user that just got an Android for app testing. Sorry Android is inferior. That’s not breaking any ground here. But hey, this is my actual 1st experience owning an iPhone knockoff. 
    Inferior? Please remind me how iPhones get their apps updated.. oh right you have to wait for an ENTIRE OS update.
    How to say you are out of touch without saying it that’s not been true for a while

Android devices are lucky if it even gets an os update after 2 years

Anyone who uses mms for photos does not have common sense whatspp/telegram/signal/messenger would work better and faster

Many androids are now being updated for up to 5 years. Look it up. Also, between androids there is RCS so there's no need to use those other apps unless android needs to send photos to iphone or vice versa. 
    edited February 2023