Apple issues firmware update for MagSafe 3 charging cable

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited February 2023
Apple recently issued a firmware update for the two-meter USB-C to MagSafe 3 charging cable, but it's unknown what it updates or fixes.

MacBook Air MagSafe port
MacBook Air MagSafe port

The company occasionally issues firmware updates to many of its products, such as AirPods, although some products can go a long time without an update. For example, Apple updated the firmware of its MagSafe Duo charger earlier in February.

Because Apple hasn't published update or patch notes, it's unclear what the firmware update accomplishes. However, they usually involve upgrades to performance and security or expanding compatibility with other devices.

The update for the MagSafe 3 charging cable -- 10M1543 -- was spotted by @aaronp613 and iSoftware Updates on Twitter.

We got an update today for the USB-C to MagSafe 3 Cable (2 m)

-- Aaron (@aaronp613)

MacBooks with a MagSafe 3 port include the 2022 M2 MacBook Air, 14-inch MacBook Pro models introduced in 2021 or later, and 2021 or later 16-inch MacBook Pro devices.

The firmware for the charging cable will automatically update at some point when connected to the Mac.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Still hoping for firmware update for Apple Polishing Cloth.
    JP234grandact73appleinsideruserspheric
  • Reply 2 of 6
    JP234 said:
    Now that's service! Who else is doing firmware updates on cables?
    Interesting decision to separate its firmware from the laptops.  What else can it do besides charge? Will a future macOS update along with firmware updates for the cable expand its functionality beyond managing power? Ethernet/data like the M1 iMacs maybe. 
    JP234watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I had my MagSafe 3 swapped out on my 14" MBP because it failed and stopped charging. Cable hadn't been abused; wasn't used excessively, no physical damage. Just decided to pack up one day. Apparently it is a common fault from what I can tell on the forums. Perhaps it was to address the root cause of that issue?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    And where can I check the charging cable firmware version? :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    riverko said:
    And where can I check the charging cable firmware version? :)
    System Information under Power section