An AirTag helped the DEA in a narcotics investigation

Posted:
in General Discussion
A search warrant has revealed how the Drug Enforcement Agency used an AirTag in an investigation, the first federal agency known to do so.

AirTags can be used for good or ill
AirTags can be used for good or ill

In May 2022, border agents seized two packages from Shanghai, China. Inside one was a pill press, a machine used to compress materials into tablets, and some pill dyes were in the other.

They thought they were being sent to an illegal narcotics producer, so they brought in the DEA. Investigators inspected the packages and decided to hide an AirTag inside the pill press to track its movements instead of canceling the shipment or visiting the manufacturer.

Discovered in a search warrant obtained by Forbes, it may be the first known instance of a federal agency using Apple's location-tracking device. However, the DEA didn't say why it chose to use a consumer device rather than a professional GPS tracker.

In the search warrant, an agent said, "precise location information for the [pill press] will allow investigators to obtain evidence about where such individuals store drugs and/or drug proceeds, where they obtain controlled substances, and where else they distribute them."

One hypothesis is the unreliability of the GPS devices currently available to law enforcement. Brady Wilkins, a recently retired detective in Arizona with the attorney general's office, said these tools "sometimes worked, sometimes didn't."

The DEA might have been testing the AirTag for reliability and the ability to hide it more easily. But the agency is taking a gamble if they continue to use the devices, as Apple has added anti-tracking measures into the AirTag in response to cases of stalking.

An iPhone can warn users if it detects an AirTag moving with them, and the devices will start beeping if the original owner hasn't been near in a while.

"AirTags and competing products continue to raise concern because of the ease of their ability to be abused and the potential significant consequences of those abuses," said Jerome Greco, a supervising attorney at the Legal Aid Society. "The DEA investigation is another extension of AirTags being used for purposes that were presumably unintended by Apple."

How effectively the AirTag assisted the DEA in its investigation is unknown. But, the state charged the intended recipient of the pill press.

An AirTag was recently used to track former Love Island star Montana Brown and helped police track a carjacker in Chicago in a separate incident.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member
    It seems like the only things we're hearing about AirTags are these misuse and questionable use scenarios. Where are the stories about how AirTags did what they were advertised to do and allowed the owner to recover a "lost" item like a pet, keys, backpack, wallet, bicycle, sports equipment bag, or whatever people are concerned about losing? I'm very intrigued by the AirTags product itself, very powerful device in such as small form factor, but the kinds of things I tend to lose track of aren't the kinds of things you can attach an AirTag to, like eyeglasses, people's names, and short term memory.

Non wacko AirTags success stories - anyone?
    edited March 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Not really a success story per se…I stashed an AirTag in a booster seat we had to take on a flight, I really didn’t want to deal with it getting lost and having to rely on the airline to help me find it. Nothing happened but it was reassuring to see that it was on our plane and then watch its progress on its way to baggage claim. I even opened Find My so I could see in real time that it was getting closer and closer on the conveyor belt.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 4
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,010member
    dewme said:
    It seems like the only things we're hearing about AirTags are these misuse and questionable use scenarios. Where are the stories about how AirTags did what they were advertised to do and allowed the owner to recover a "lost" item like a pet, keys, backpack, wallet, bicycle, sports equipment bag, or whatever people are concerned about losing? I'm very intrigued by the AirTags product itself, very powerful device in such as small form factor, but the kinds of things I tend to lose track of aren't the kinds of things you can attach an AirTag to, like eyeglasses, people's names, and short term memory.

I’ve found them useful to find where I’ve left a camera bag in the house. They’re good for seeing if something you intentionally left behind is still there. They’re not particularly useful for finding precisely which spot in the parking garage you’ve parked. The car is usually visible before the precision locator kicks in on ‘find my’. Might help if your car is small and hidden in a space on the other side of someone else’s ridiculously large SUV. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,126member
    dewme said:

There have been quite a few stories about people tracking lost luggage using Airtags.

Here's two examples from this site:
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/04/23/airtag-data-crucial-to-recovery-of-mans-lost-luggage
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/02/06/travelers-use-airtag-to-track-lost-luggage-all-the-way-to-the-donation-pile
    charlesatlaswatto_cobra