Driver that plowed through Hingham Apple Store indicted for murder

Posted:
in General Discussion
Bradley Rein, the driver that drove his car through the Apple Derby Street retail store, has been indicted on second-degree murder and other charges related to the crash.

Source: AP Photo/Steven Senne
Source: AP Photo/Steven Senne

Rein drove an SUV through the front of the Apple Derby Street store in November 2022. He claimed it was an accident, but nonetheless, 22 people were injured and one 65-year-old man was killed.

According to NBC10 Boston, Rein's charges include one count of second-degree murder and motor vehicle homicide by reckless operation.

He's also been indicted with 18 counts of aggravated assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, plus four counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon for the 22 injured people.

Rein was already facing charges from the local Hingham District Court. These new charges will see him arraigned in Brockton Superior Court at an date to be announced later.

As well as the legal charges facing Rein, Apple is being sued for what the victims claim was a "100% preventable" crash. Separately, Apple CEO Tim Cook and store chief Deirdre O'Brien have visited the victims in hospital.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Second Degree and Assault sounds about right. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    sad to see this, but I never felt that it was accidental.  justice for the victims.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    sad to see this, but I never felt that it was accidental.  justice for the victims.
    I never thought it was deliberate. I’ve read too many cases of where someone huts the brake, but has their foot on the gas without realizing it. The car accelerates rather than stopping, and they panic. They push harder and harder on what they think is the brake and the car just goes faster. It’s not really that uncommon of an accident. 

And no there will be no justice in this case. The people hit are still harmed. He will be punished for a stupid accident, not deliberate assault (and what will his spending ten years or so in jail going to do for the victims). Everyones lives will be ruined. Nobody will win.
    edited March 2023 muthuk_vanalingamravnorodomMacProwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    DAalseth said:
    I never thought it was deliberate. I’ve read too many cases of where someone huts the brake, but has their foot on the gas without realizing it. The car accelerates rather than stopping, and they panic. They push harder and harder on what they think is the brake and the car just goes faster. It’s not really that uncommon of an accident. 

And no there will be no justice in this case. The people hit are still harmed. He will be punished for a stupid accident, not deliberate assault (and what will his spending ten years or so in jail going to do for the victims). Everyones lives will be ruined. Nobody will win.
    I drive a 4Runner and I've been there many times.  I'm going to go with law enforcement and the prosecutors who have all the evidence and have decided to charge him with murder and vehicular homicide.  
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    I thought it was more than "just an accident," but like his lawyer, I am astounded by the murder charge. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    ronn said:
    I thought it was more than "just an accident," but like his lawyer, I am astounded by the murder charge. 
    Grand Jury in Massachusetts

A quorum of thirteen grand jurors must be present to hear any evidence, consider any proposed indictment, or take any other official action.

An indictment may be found only upon the concurrence of twelve or more jurors. The indictment shall be returned by the grand jury to a judge in open court unless for reasons of public safety or security the judge decides to take the return of the indictment remotely.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,050member
    DAalseth said:

Not in this case. From another article, the driver told authorities that his right foot got stuck on the accelerator and he tried to stop by pressing the brake pedal with his left foot. Then no way would he had thought of trying to use his left foot to press on the brake pedal, if he already thought he was pressing it with his right foot.

Not saying it proves he did this on purpose but negligence don't alleviate him of any responsibilities for causing the crash. 

>Rein told police he was looking for an eyeglasses store at the shopping center when his right foot became stuck on the accelerator, according to court documents. He said he used his left foot to try to brake but couldn’t stop.<

watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    ronn said:

A quorum of thirteen grand jurors must be present to hear any evidence, consider any proposed indictment, or take any other official action.

An indictment may be found only upon the concurrence of twelve or more jurors. The indictment shall be returned by the grand jury to a judge in open court unless for reasons of public safety or security the judge decides to take the return of the indictment remotely.

I understand the Grand Jury Process. But Murder? Talk about an overcharge.

Second-Degree Murder in Massachusetts

In the Commonwealth, a person commits second-degree murder when he or she intentionally kills another person, but does so without any premeditation. The killing must be done with with malice aforethought.

These sorts of killings occur in the heat of the moment, but do not involve any premeditation on the part of the perpetrator. At the moment the murder occurs, the killer definitely intends to kill the victim, but up to that moment, the killer had no intent or plan to commit murder.

From the time of the crash till the indictment there's been no info shared that would warrant a murder charge instead of homicide. That's why Rein's lawyer and even other lawyers/law experts have expressed shock with the murder charge in this case. Will be interesting to see if additional info comes out or if the prosecutor will drop that charge.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    ronn said:
    ronn said:

In the Commonwealth, a person commits second-degree murder when he or she intentionally kills another person, but does so without any premeditation. The killing must be done with with malice aforethought.

These sorts of killings occur in the heat of the moment, but do not involve any premeditation on the part of the perpetrator. At the moment the murder occurs, the killer definitely intends to kill the victim, but up to that moment, the killer had no intent or plan to commit murder.

From the time of the crash till the indictment there's been no info shared that would warrant a murder charge instead of homicide. That's why Rein's lawyer and even other lawyers/law experts have expressed shock with the murder charge in this case. Will be interesting to see if additional info comes out or if the prosecutor will drop that charge.

Grand jury proceedings are behind closed doors, right?  Defense will get everything during discovery ahead of the trial unless they settle. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    ronn said:
    ronn said:

Grand jury proceedings are behind closed doors, right?  Defense will get everything during discovery ahead of the trial unless they settle. 
    Right now it looks like the DA is trying to force a plea from Rein.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Will be interested to hear the final verdict.  

Wondering if the Police/DA found any relevant social media posts.  

If prosecution can prove intent, in addition to time in jail, should consider giving victims any vehicles and homes owned by the defendant, as well as any other high value items (including businesses) owned by the defendant (or cash generated from their sale).  With 22 injuries and 1 death, I doubt he has enough liability insurance.  Legal fees alone could be staggering.  ALSO, never allowed to drive again in the state.  In addition to criminal charges, there could be civil charges (remember OJ beat the criminal charges, but spent jail time on civil charges that came later).  

Have noticed a tendency for some accelerators to catch the toe of a shoe.  Defendant could consider an action against the truck/suv manufacturer (assuming he did not customize the pedal).  Are companies going to have to put crash barriers around their stores (like US Federal Courts)?  
    edited March 2023
  • Reply 12 of 14
    posted this before... it's a fairly serious left turn to enter the store the way he did.  going 60MPH means he was flooring it for a long time.  I drive a 4Runner and have been there many times.  I'm sure they have some evidence from the vehicle to support the claim that this wasn't accidental.  

watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Should have sold the car when his foot got stuck the first time on the highway. 

I wonder if he was wearing the same trainers the first time it happened.

It would be interesting to hear more detail on what his foot is getting stuck on. My guess would be its getting stuck on the center console panels which the pedal is very close to for some reason. Maybe its a design flaw in Toyotas that are converted to right hand drive where normally in left hand drive the pedal would be no where near the center console.
    edited March 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 14
    that's his statement... but I drive a 4Runner and don't buy it for a second.  Even if I did it's not a straight line to enter the Apple Store, he had to deliberately steer the vehicle to get it to where it crashed into the glass.  
    watto_cobra