Reliable leaker claims Apple VR tester was 'blown away' by headset trial

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited April 2023
Prominent leaker Evan Blass claims that a tester who has used several iterations of Apple's forthcoming Apple VR headset, has gone from underwhelmed to ecstatic.

AppleInsider render of the forthcoming Apple VR headset
AppleInsider render of the forthcoming Apple VR headset

As expectation rises that an Apple AR headset will be the main focus of WWDC 2023, and Apple is reportedly preparing multiple apps for it, a leaker has shared news of the device's effectiveness.

Evan Blass has previously proved to be reliable over leaks such as ones regarding the iPhone 12 mini. He does not claim to have used the new headset, but through his locked Twitter account, does report an account of it being impressive.

Protected tweet from Evan Blass
Protected tweet from Evan Blass

There are no further details than that, but the implication is that the "several opportunities" came over the headset's long development process. So it's not surprising that the experience has improved as Apple has continued to work on it, but it is encouraging.

That's perhaps especially so since recent rumors claimed that Apple will launch the headset earlier than its own engineers think is wise.

It's expected that while the headset will be the main highlight of WWDC, it will not be released to the public for many months. Just as with the announcement of Apple Silicon, WWDC is likely to build interest from consumers, but chiefly to get developers working on third-party apps.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Marketing has deployed the A.I. hype algorithm. 
    ramanpfaffDAalsethentropyswilliamlondonpulseimagesbyronl
  • Reply 2 of 24
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    I am sure MZ and the folks at Meta are having some sleepless nights.
    lordjohnwhorfinjas99ravnorodombyronl
  • Reply 3 of 24
    badmonk said:
    I bet they're already warming up their copy machines.
    jas99williamlondonravnorodombyronl
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Hmmm...so the device falls somewhere between "underwhelming" and "blows you away". That's certainly covering the bases. 
    ravnorodom
  • Reply 5 of 24
    “It’s great” said “a man.”
    As we used to say in NYC back in the day, this and a token will get you on the subway…
    JapheyDooofuschasmdewme
  • Reply 6 of 24
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Hmmm...so the device falls somewhere between "underwhelming" and "blows you away". That's certainly covering the bases. 
    No. The claim is the iterations of the the device has gone from underwhelming to blown away. The first iteration is probably still underwhelming, if the report is correct. 

jas99
  • Reply 7 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    As we used to say in NYC back in the day, this and a token will get you on the subway…
    On the other hand we already know what the reaction here in these forums will be.

Underwhelming

DOA

Overpriced

Not ready for prime time

Should never have been released

I’m not buying one

I’ll pass

Stupid 

Android already has this

Tell me I’m wrong.
    jwdawsoheadfull0winebyronl
  • Reply 8 of 24
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    he knows...a guy..
    dewmeentropyschasm
  • Reply 9 of 24
    lkrupp said:
    On the other hand we already know what the reaction here in these forums will be.

Underwhelming

DOA

Overpriced

Not ready for prime time

I’m not buying one

I’ll pass

Stupid 

Android already has this

Tell me I’m wrong.
    You seem to take any criticism of Apple personally.
    muthuk_vanalingamlkruppavon b7williamlondonchutzpahJapheybeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 10 of 24
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    lkrupp said:

Underwhelming

DOA

Overpriced

Not ready for prime time

I’m not buying one

I’ll pass

Stupid 

Android already has this

Tell me I’m wrong.
    And then by the next generation we will all be clamoring to have one and asking ourselves how could we live without said device when we finally get the third generation and keep on upgrading, year after year. 
    jas99ravnorodombyronl
  • Reply 11 of 24
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,663member
    Sounds like someone is really pushing to launch this thing. 

Better they hold off. 

This is all too forced. Cringe. 
    edited April 2023 ravnorodombyronl
  • Reply 12 of 24
    badmonk said:
    They lose a thousand dollars on every one of their VR headsets, I'm thinking they'll be relieved if people stop buying so many of them.
    jas99ravnorodombyronl
  • Reply 13 of 24
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    MZ and Meta probably dream of making up for the losses with volume.
    Tim Apple’s strategy is to charge an arm and a leg, making up for limited sales with margin.

Anyway, all the leaks over the last six months are probably Apple marketing. We will just have to wait and see what it does, and what it is like before offering judgement.
    ravnorodombyronl
  • Reply 14 of 24
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    lkrupp said:

Underwhelming

DOA

Overpriced

Not ready for prime time

I’m not buying one

I’ll pass

Stupid 

Android already has this

Tell me I’m wrong.
    You're wrong.  No one "knows" the future.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    badmonk said:
    They are dismantling incapable teams.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    Imagine if Apple’s AR device was more than just a gaming accessory. What if it was a health device too. Glasses that could aid eyesight by automatically adjusting focal length and clarity for the wearer. Able to adjust for colour blindness, recognise potential hazards and provide alerts and directional information, provide UV protection and better eyesight in low-light conditions, and even provide assistive hearing through bone conduction. Sounds like an awful lot to ask, I know, but I believe that this would the the type of device that people would buy, and use. AR/VR Gaming has its place, but not for the masses. We buy devices that do stuff for us, and make our lives easier. 
    radarthekatbyronl
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Perhaps Apple's next project can be R.I. (real intelligence) products.  Lord knows we can use them.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    Sounds like the device has big fans.....

I'll see myself out. 
  • Reply 19 of 24
    The $3K price tag blows me away.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    rickwil61 said:
    Perhaps Apple's next project can be R.I. (real intelligence) products.  Lord knows we can use them.
    Reminds me of a joke the CEO of my last company used to tell...

"this new product will revolutionize the way we interact with the world.  It goes beyond virtual reality.  I call it, Real Reality; you actually walk through a room..."
    ravnorodombyronl