New 15-inch MacBook Air will have two M2 options, says Kuo

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited April 2023
Backing up a new claim that the forthcoming 15-inch MacBook Air will no longer have the M3 processor, Ming-Chi Kuo says it's going to be offered with M2 options -- but not M2 Pro.

A larger mid-range MacBook is missing from Apple's current lineup
A larger mid-range MacBook is missing from Apple's current lineup

Following many rumors that the 15-inch MacBook Air would be based around the M3, a new supply chain leak suggested that Apple had postponed that idea. Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo backs that idea, but adds more about the specific M2 processors -- and the device's launch date.

[Prediction update and revision]

1. The new 15" MacBook model should be named MacBook Air.
2. To reiterate, the upcoming 15" MacBook Air will feature the M2 series and offer two processor spec options. However, two options are more likely to be M2 with different cores (similar https://t.co/Co4YJhbXO3

-- (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo)

Kuo previously predicted that there would be two processor options, but believed one might be the M2 Pro. His latest tweet continues by saying that the two M2 processor options will vary by how many cores they have, "similar to the M2 13-inch MacBook Air."

He says Apple expects to ship between five and six million of the new 15-inch MacBook Air.

Separately, Kuo says he expects that mass production of the M3 processor is due to begin in the second half of 2023, "slightly ahead of M3 Pro and M3 Max."

Kuo does not give a date for when the 15-inch MacBook Air will be released, beyond it being in 2023. The most likely of the many conflicting rumors about a release date seem to suggest that it made be released in June.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    SkepticalSkeptical Posts: 183member
    Wait!!! No maybe, or possibly? He is actually going to unzip his fly and make a real prediction. Oh happy day. 
    nubus9secondkox2lkrupp
  • Reply 2 of 12
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,759member
    So… M2 is a choice… but it seems kinda lame at this juncture. M2 launched a year prior. 

But… it’s meant to be a “cheap” 15” mass market notebook and so an M2 would fit that price point. This isn’t a game-changing laptop in terms of capabilities or tech or design. It’s just an Air with a bit more screen. 

M3 will likely launch with the updated baby iMac since it skipped m2 entirely. That would have more impact. Perhaps a “one more thing?”

TSMC has been mass producing 3nm chips for Apple since late last year. With the improved yields as they’ve gotten a better handle on the process, That should be enough lead time to cover iPhone and Mac. Then Pro/Max/Ultra/Super Duper in early ‘24 (but not-so-secretly praying for late ‘23). 

Good times. 

muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 12
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,757member
    I hope they offer one with at least 32GB of RAM.  I love my 16" MacBook Pro - except for the weight.  If I could get an Air with a decent amount of RAM - woo hoo!
    muthuk_vanalingamh4y3s
  • Reply 4 of 12
    I like my MacBook Pro 13" with M1 and 16 GB RAM - besides screen size. So I would jump to a 15" MacBook Air if it's affordable and has similar or little more power. MB Pro 14" and 16" are way too expensive for my use cases (internet, mail, documents, development of small SwiftUI apps, 3D printing, home videos etc.). 
  • Reply 5 of 12
    omasouomasou Posts: 588member
    docno42 said:
    I hope they offer one with at least 32GB of RAM.  I love my 16" MacBook Pro - except for the weight.  If I could get an Air with a decent amount of RAM - woo hoo!

The messed up the MacPro line in both portability and aesthetics by attempting to hit some on-battery usage target that most users will never need unless locked in a bunker w/o an electrical socket. As it is today, it is not "portable" it's a boat anchor.

Really hoping they "fix" the MacPro line by using a new lighter battery tech or simply by decreasing the battery size, sculpt the case so it doesn't look like some bland run of the mill Dell laptop and drop the legacy ports and add a 4th TB port. If not, I too may look to a MacBook Air as long as I can drive my  2x5K monitors and have the performance I need.
    williamlondondocno42
  • Reply 6 of 12
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Does anyone know what the rumoured specs of the M3 are meant to be, to work out how much of a loss not having it the new MBA would be ?
    edited April 2023
  • Reply 7 of 12
    thttht Posts: 5,484member
    This "two variants" of the M2 is strange. If it is binning, like is already done, it's a non-rumor. It's standard operating procedure. If there is anything to this rumor, perhaps the binned M2 Pro (6+4+14) might make the cut. This would mean the machine has to ship with two logic boards, and the ad-copy has to distinctly separate the two. The M2 Pro would be able to support 32 GB of RAM and 2 external monitors.

But there is going to be a lot of overlap between an MBA15 and MBP14 if so. Seems like a lot of work for not much gain. A plain M2 with 24 GB RAM support - just an M2 MBA but with a 15" display - is basically what everyone in the target market is looking for.
    muthuk_vanalingamroundaboutnowcanukstorm
  • Reply 8 of 12
    kelliekellie Posts: 51member
    Mac sales were down 40% last quarter. Apple also halted production of M2 chips for 2 months to match supply to demand. Apple is in no hurry to put an M3 processor in an entry level laptop. It’s also getting to the point where M2 or even M1 performance is so good that many people won’t have the need to upgrade an M1 or M2 based computer for a good number of years. My hunch is any M3 delays are not due to technical issues but demand issues.
    muthuk_vanalingamh4y3scanukstorm
  • Reply 9 of 12
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,183member
    It will just be the same SOCs as the current MBA, and no fan.
    edited April 2023
  • Reply 10 of 12
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    ajmas said:
    Does anyone know what the rumoured specs of the M3 are meant to be, to work out how much of a loss not having it the new MBA would be ?
    Next is always better. The more important variable to consider is time. How long are you willing to wait until you buy your MBA; how long are you planning to keep it, etc. 
  • Reply 11 of 12
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Are there any predictions out there about whether the 2 MBA models will release simultaneously in the future? Because that would mean that either the 13 model would have a long period between upgrades, or the 15 would have a short one. Unless, of course, they release a new 13 with minor spec bumps along with the 15, and then start the clock on both again. 

I guess that’s a long way of asking if we’re expecting a new 13 along with the 15?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,347moderator
    ajmas said:
    It would offer density improvement and they'd likely be able to increase performance as much as 1.5x. This would make it equal to M1 Pro while fanless.

M2 still offers good performance for the Air though. Still, it seems odd they'd stick with M2 and push M3 back to 2024.
    tht said:
    This "two variants" of the M2 is strange. If it is binning, like is already done, it's a non-rumor.
    I reckon it's just referring to the two models that exist just now, one with 8-core GPU, the other 10-core:

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-air/midnight-apple-m2-chip-with-8-core-cpu-and-8-core-gpu-256gb