MicroLED Apple Watch launch in fall 2025, claims new rumor

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited December 2023

A previous report claimed that Apple would release an Apple Watch with a MicroLED display in 2023, but a new rumor pushes that to 2025.

Future Apple Watch models may get MicroLED displays
Future Apple Watch models may get MicroLED displays

As early as 2020, rumors surfaced that suggested Apple was working on bringing MicroLED display technology to the Apple Watch. At that time, the supply chain leak includes a timeframe of 2023 or 2024.

Next, a January 2023 report from display supply chain analyst Ross Young said Apple would use the technology in a spring 2025 launch. Young has now tweeted to super followers on Thursday that Apple is pushing the MicroLED Apple Watch to a launch in the second half of 2025.

MicroLED technology is an improvement over OLED, providing a greater pixel density on the small display. MicroLED has advantages such as higher brightness and sharper images compared to OLED.

Although both OLED and MicroLED can achieve extreme local dimming and almost infinite contrast, a MicroLED panel will have greater control over the displayed content. For example, Apple Watch users with a MicroLED display could see sharper text, brighter displays in the sun, and a reduced chance for burn-in, which sometimes happens with OLED displays.

Young's recent update makes more sense than his previous spring launch report since Apple typically announces updates to the Apple Watch in the fall.

At this point, it's unclear if Apple will bring MicroLED technology to all Apple Watch models in 2025 or limit it -- at least initially -- to the high-end Apple Watch Ultra.

The company may even include MicroLED displays in its other products after the 2025 Apple Watch launch. Reputable leaker Mark Gurman said in January that Apple may include the new displays in the iPhone lineup after the Apple Watch introduction, followed by the iPad and Mac product lines.

It could take up to a decade until the display technology arrives to the Mac.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    XedXed Posts: 2,569member
    JP234 said:
    MicroLED is promising for the videophile. Maybe not so much in a watch, I think. At this point, it's also enormously expensive. Samsung has announced three MicroLED TV sets,
    Here's one: 110” CLASS* MICRO LED Samsung 4K with Smart Hub (*109.2” measured diagonally), $149,999.99 (99¢, really Samsung?)
    Here's another: 146” CLASS* MICRO LED Samsung 2K with Smart Hub, only $219,999.99

Sure, widespread adoption will bring the price down to the consumer level, dramatically, but not in 2023 or 2024, probably not 2025.
    1) Except that it's brighter and uses considerably less power for a given brightness compared to OMLED and LCD. 

2) You're compared a 2" display with a 110"+ displays to claim it'll cost too much. JFC! 🤦‍♂️
    Japhey
  • Reply 2 of 6
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Along with AirPower.
    blastdoor
  • Reply 3 of 6
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 842member
    JP234 said:
    MicroLED is promising for the videophile. Maybe not so much in a watch, I think. At this point, it's also enormously expensive. Samsung has announced three MicroLED TV sets,
    Here's one: 110” CLASS* MICRO LED Samsung 4K with Smart Hub (*109.2” measured diagonally), $149,999.99 (99¢, really Samsung?)
    Here's another: 146” CLASS* MICRO LED Samsung 2K with Smart Hub, only $219,999.99

Sure, widespread adoption will bring the price down to the consumer level, dramatically, but not in 2023 or 2024, probably not 2025.
    Honestly, I figured you HAD to be making up those prices... surely no company could be that ridiculous... to knock a penny off the prices of $150K and $220K televisions as if these were bath towels priced at $9.99 instead of $10. But you're correct! Samsung IS that stupid. 

You know, I never thought about OLED's burn-in factor as it relates to the Apple Watch. How does Apple prevent that from happening? While my watch will brighten or dim depending on my wrist position, there are elements of every watch face that don't change and are on the screen constantly--why don't they burn-in? Xed's mention above that micro-LED would use less power is about the only real advantage (though an important one) that I see it having. With the Ultra's added brightness, it's never a struggle to read, even in bright sunlight. And as for text being sharper, that's also solving a problem that doesn't exist. For the amount of reading you do on an Apple Watch--not much--the text is plenty sharp as is. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 6
    mystigomystigo Posts: 183member
    They are probably pushing it out waiting for higher volume lower cost fabs to come online. One advantage not mentioned in the article is that they use a fraction of the power other LEDs use.
    edited April 2023 JP234
  • Reply 5 of 6
    imax1imax1 Posts: 17member
    I am thinking that the first Apple product with microLED would be their headset. That has been rumored to have two displays the size of an Apple Watch [Ultra] screen. The rumors have claimed the displays would have 8K resolution with pixel density of 1000’s of ppi. The new timeline for microLED also jives with a potential second generation headset.