Stop us if you've heard this before: There's a new Apple Silicon killer in town

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2023
AMD announced a new chip for thin-and-light notebooks that it specifically claims beats Apple's year-old M2. Did the company cherry-pick results and hide the compromises, or is this a genuine triumph?

A couple of months ago, Intel came out with a "notebook" processor -- the Intel Core i9 13980HX -- that it claimed with a healthy dose of deception it could beat Apple's M2 Max, currently Apple's fastest processor. While the specific claims of benchmark triumphs in certain areas were technically true, those advances came with truckload of caveats.

In the case of the Intel chip, it completely lost all of its speed advantage the moment it went on battery, and drained the battery like a starving vampire at a blood bank -- making it a very impractical "notebook" chip. Furthermore, it generated enormous amounts of heat that required fans at full blast when doing anything taxing -- and was hopelessly overweight at almost seven pounds.

That said, for a very narrow set of specific but popular processor-intensive tasks -- with the addition of a more-powerful video card, and keeping it plugged in at all times while wearing headphones to block the noise -- it did indeed beat the M2 Max. The compromises were much too great to be any real temptation for most Apple users, but it was still something of a shock for Intel to even get one of its chips into the same ballpark.

Now comes the new challenger

So, it's now AMD's turn to challenge Apple, joining Intel in acknowledging -- albeit unintentionally -- that the M-series represents an industry leader and ongoing breakthrough in desktop and mobile computing, power and chip efficiency, and integrated graphics performance. From the first M1 models onwards, Macs became a great deal faster than virtually any Windows PC in everyday use, apart from specialized gaming rigs.

The new kid on the block is the latest entry in AMD's Ryzen 7 family, the 7840u.

Right up front, it is easy to see that this chip is far more of a serious challenger than Intel's 13980HX. Unlike Intel's misleading "notebook" claim, the 7840u genuinely is a chip designed not just for notebooks, but specifically for thin-and-light notebooks, meaning it must generate less heat and work more efficiently -- and that's just for starters.

This new chip was only announced at the end of last month, and thus hasn't yet appeared in any production machines for real-world testing. That didn't stop AMD from posting a set of nebulous benchmarks that it claims show superior performance to Apple's base M2 chip -- the one used in the Mac mini, MacBook Air, 13-inch MacBook Pro, and the two iPad Pro models.

AMD's claims of utter M2 domination ... in two of the six categories ...
AMD's claims of utter M2 domination ... in two of the six categories ...

Without an actual machine to test this on at present, it remains to be seen if the 7840u can maintain this seemingly-impressive performance on battery -- and how much battery it consumes in comparative tasks. What raises suspicions of Intel-like cherry picking is AMD's overly-broad descriptions of general areas of comparison, narrow differences between the two chips in all but two of the categories, and a lack of specifics and sourcing for any of the results.

Even if we take the claims from AMD at face value, a second look reveals that the company is actually only claiming clear differences in two of the six areas its marketing team picked as "proof" of its dominance. The other four could almost be ties, within the margin of error for benchmark tests.

However, one specific test was named in the promotional chart: Passmark 10, where the M2 has previously been scored at 15,375. The chart from AMD claims the 7840u was 75 percent faster, mirroring pretty closely the other significant-difference result: the "multiprocessing" category.

This new AMD chip isn't actually listed at all in Passmark's online CPU comparisons as of this writing -- but if the 75 percent better claim is true, this would give the 7840u a score of just over 26,000. As we saw with multiprocessing comparisons of the M2 against the Intel chip on Cinebench, AMD's hyperthreading technology and the chip having double the number of threads compared with the M2 gives it a natural advantage in multi-processing generally.

It would be interesting to the compare more than just numbers to get a more complete picture -- fan noise levels and power consumption of a 7840u-powered notebook versus Apple's base M2 in, let's say, the fan-less MacBook Air. In the absence of that, we have relied on comparison site CPU Monkey to easily compare the scores across a number of benchmarking suites, and that quickly gave us a more complete story that AMD's chart.

By the numbers

Let's start with some stats: both Apple's M2 and AMD's Ryzen 7840u chips are manufactured by TSMC, and the M2 uses a five-nanometer process versus the 7840u's 4nm process. The AMD chip cruises at 3.3GHz, but it can boost up to 5.1GHz, while the M2 has no "boosting" technology.

The GPU component of the M2 is rated at 1.4GHz, whereas the RDNA3 GPU of the 7840u is rated at 2.7GHz, nearly double. Assuming our estimate of the 7840u's multitasking score is roughly right, the M2 Pro and Max versions would easily catch up in GPU and multitasking, at least in the Passmark multitasking scores -- and that's a dead giveaway as to why the 7840u wasn't compared to either of those chips.

The Thermal Design Power (TDP) of the 7840u is rated at up to 28 watts, much more befitting a truly portable notebook than the Intel Core i9 13980HX we compared previously, which had a TDP of 55 watts. The M2's TDP is 22 watts, meaning the chip runs notably cooler, even under heavy load.

Looking at Cinebench R23 scores, the results were a bit surprising: in single-core tests, the 3.5GHZ M2 was only very slightly behind the 7840u. Single-core covers most apps the "average" user would routinely use in day-to-day tasks, compared to pro-level apps that can take advantage of all the computing power a machine can muster.

Cinebench's multi-core scores show off where the 7840u excels, given that it has twice the number of threads that can run in parallel compared to the M2, called hyperthreading. The AMD chip scored 14,798, 40 percent faster than the M2's score of 8714.

The chips were also put to the test on two different versions of Geekbench, v5 and v6. In the Geekbench 5 tests, the 7840u and M2 were almost identical in single-core scores, and much more closely matched in multi-core, though the 7840u was still faster -- but only by 10 percent this time.

Geekbench 6 handed the M2 its first and only win, with the Apple chip beating the 7840u by four percent in single-core. The multi-core test again saw the 7840u triumph by 10 percent over the M2.

Turning to strictly the GPU portion of the two chips, we looked at compiled results using the iGPU test, which measures how many billion 32-bit floating point operations each can do per second. The M2's GPU is half the speed of the 7840u's GPU, and yet it only lost by 27 percent.

Result: too early to really tell

As mentioned earlier, real-world testing in actual machines is quite different than the marketing department's benchmarks, but looking at these and other preliminary results we can see that AMD has scored at least a partial win over Apple's M2 -- and a bigger win over Intel's Core i9 13980HX. The 7840u is a truly integrated chip for lightweight notebooks that seems to seriously compete with the base M2 chip, and maybe even the M2 Pro in some ways.

As we noticed when we compared the Intel Core i9 13980HX to the M2 Max previously, even when scores are competitive in benchmarking suites, there are other factors to consider. Weight was definitely one of those with the MSI Raider gaming "portable," and the initially-strong performance of the Intel "M2 killer" chip sank like a stone when it had to run on battery.

Until we hear otherwise from AMD, we have to assume that the vaguemarks they used for their comparison chart were measured under ideal conditions for a laptop: plugged in, and ignoring quality-of-life factors like heat and battery drain. We'd love to be wrong about that.

We actually do hope the 7840u turns out to be more competitive in the real world than Intel's attempt to "beat" the M2; AMD certainly looks to be trying harder, and taking Apple's engineering more seriously. It's important to remember that competition and one-upmanship like this is healthy for everyone -- especially consumers.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    I thought this was going to be about the Apple-Silicon-Killer Intel Mediocre Lake chips that I read about elsewhere yesterday.  In any event, what the people behind the "Apple Silicon Killers" fail to appreciate is that the performance alone is not the Mac's killer feature.  People buy Macs because of the whole package - hardware/software/ecosystem (or marketing and they don't really know what they're buying - for many of us it's the whole package.)

Macs have been on 4 distinctly different processor architectures that have sometimes been best-in-class and sometimes not.  (Motorola 68k, PowerPC, Intel, and now Apple Silicon) If Intel, AMD, or anyone else made a processor that really made Apple Silicon obsolete to such an extent that some other Apple software/hardware/ecosystem advantages were muted, Apple could switch to it.  
    williamlondonkillroyFileMakerFellerchasmKTRcornchipnubuswatto_cobramdw
  • Reply 2 of 58
    sloth77sloth77 Posts: 24member
    williamh said:
    If Intel, AMD, or anyone else made a processor that really made Apple Silicon obsolete to such an extent that some other Apple software/hardware/ecosystem advantages were muted, Apple could switch to it.  
    They could, but I very much doubt they would.  They would lose the control they have by architecting their own chip designs, and the cost savings from sharing such chips across all product families (phone, tablet, laptop, desktop)
    byronlwilliamlondonkillroychiaFileMakerFellerKTRCheeseFreezeBiCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 58
    bala1234bala1234 Posts: 144member
    The article is much more balanced than the headline! Quoting selective benchmarks isn't exclusive to Intel and AMD remember the graphics benchmarks Apple quoted for its chips? I don't think there is any dispute (even from its competitors) that M1 chips are the undisputed king of daily driver (& developer) laptops in terms power, portability and battery life.
    But just you concluded competition is good for everybody! Even for diehard Apple faithfuls. 
    Personally I am looking to procure a gaming rig in the near future and am very excited for the 7840u even with all the caveats you mentioned.

williamlondonAniMillFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 58
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Since the processors in question aren’t competing for the same platform this is all just for bragging rights. But it’s good for Apple and good for the personal computer industry in general to keep raising the bar. 

If nothing else this has highlighted the fact that Intel has been sandbagging us for a very long time. They needed a wake-up call and Apple rang their bell. 
    williamlondonkillroyFileMakerFellerchasmCheeseFreezewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 58
    Mac4macMac4mac Posts: 15member
    On a consistency note…..at least twice in the story the 7840u is referred to as the 7860u…..
    No need to rush the proofread on such non-event story surely? 
    byronlwilliamlondonkillroyBiCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 58
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    bala1234 said:
    The article is much more balanced than the headline! Quoting selective benchmarks isn't exclusive to Intel and AMD remember the graphics benchmarks Apple quoted for its chips? I don't think there is any dispute (even from its competitors) that M1 chips are the undisputed king of daily driver (& developer) laptops in terms power, portability and battery life.
    But just you concluded competition is good for everybody! Even for diehard Apple faithfuls. 
    Personally I am looking to procure a gaming rig in the near future and am very excited for the 7840u even with all the caveats you mentioned.

So while the 7840u’s specs might be real and to really show how good of a processor it is, it’s being sought after for handheld gaming using windows like the AOKZOE pro, it’s still an X86 based processor and not an ARM based one like Apple uses. What you have to consider is the length of time Apple has been using ARM with a desktop OS, which isn’t very long. Comparatively X86 has been used since the 80s. Apple has a lot of choices for the future of Macintosh, like using more than one processor, or even using an M type for some tasks and adding a lower end one (A15), like you would see in an AppleTV for other functions like just for video. The big advantage is that all of these chips were designed for low power, while the 7840u, can use low power, it takes a performance hit when you cut the wattage to it to conserve power and lower heat. 
    dewmebyronlwilliamlondonkillroychiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 58
    bala1234bala1234 Posts: 144member
    bala1234 said:

So while the 7840u’s specs might be real and to really show how good of a processor it is, it’s being sought after for handheld gaming using windows like the AOKZOE pro, it’s still an X86 based processor and not an ARM based one like Apple uses. What you have to consider is the length of time Apple has been using ARM with a desktop OS, which isn’t very long. Comparatively X86 has been used since the 80s. Apple has a lot of choices for the future of Macintosh, like using more than one processor, or even using an M type for some tasks and adding a lower end one (A15), like you would see in an AppleTV for other functions like just for video. The big advantage is that all of these chips were designed for low power, while the 7840u, can use low power, it takes a performance hit when you cut the wattage to it to conserve power and lower heat. 
    I haven't disagreed with anything the article or you mentioned above. But isn't catching up on the performance metrics alone news? You may be right in that x86 will never catch up to the performance/power consumption ratio of ARM processors, but the article does mention that power consumption metrics of competitors are improving. As I said in the start of my comment "The article is much more balanced than ..."

byronlwilliamlondonFileMakerFellerchasm
  • Reply 8 of 58
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I want AMD to be able to exceed the M2 in performance at the right PRICE. 

I want as much computing power in off the shelf CPU as possible at an enticing 
    Price Per Watt. 

williamlondonchasmmuthuk_vanalingamnubusdelreyjones
  • Reply 9 of 58
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,853member
    bala1234 said:
    bala1234 said:

I haven't disagreed with anything the article or you mentioned above. But isn't catching up on the performance metrics alone news? You may be right in that x86 will never catch up to the performance/power consumption ratio of ARM processors, but the article does mention that power consumption metrics of competitors are improving. As I said in the start of my comment "The article is much more balanced than ..."

The only true test is to put the new chip in a laptop and unplug it from the wall, use it and see what happens, if I can compete with Apple Silicon in that area, then they have something, if not, it’s just hot air.
    chasmrotateleftbytewatto_cobramdw
  • Reply 10 of 58
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    Funny that the results were not so nebulous that you could write a whole article on it now. Why the rush to judgement? Why not just wait till machines with the new AMD chip are released and then you know, report actual results?  Crazy idea right?
    williamlondonmdwbaconstang
  • Reply 11 of 58
    killroykillroy Posts: 276member
    Now was the test run on battery or wall power. 3 gighz vs 5 gighz come on.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 58
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Even if the chip was every bit as good as they say, it doesn’t necessarily mean much in the real world. AMD doesn’t make computers.  Neither does Intel.  To use these chips you pretty much have to run windows, which still sucks.  Apple was legitimately behind on processor performance for years and their products were still better. Now they have set a new standard and everyone is beginning to catch up. I don’t see how much has changed.  
    FileMakerFellerchasmmike1Alex_Vwatto_cobrabaconstang
  • Reply 13 of 58
    bulk001 said:
    Funny that the results were not so nebulous that you could write a whole article on it now. Why the rush to judgement? Why not just wait till machines with the new AMD chip are released and then you know, report actual results?  Crazy idea right?
    It's worth an immediate response that verifies the reported results as at least somewhat credible. Apple's claims when the M1 chip was announced underwent the same scrutiny from the PC side of the fence; the difference was that Apple had complete systems available to test in a short timeframe after their announcement, tuned to perfection. Since AMD is only selling the SoC, we have to wait for the chips to be available in commercial quantities and for properly-engineered systems to be developed and then hope that the other performance factors in a PC don't have a meaningful real world impact on the chip comparison.

If you're buying a laptop today or in the next few months, Apple remains the performance leader in general computing tasks. If you can wait six months, re-evaluate then.
    chasmsphericwilliamlondonradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 58
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    bulk001 said:
    Well, you could just as easily question why AMD released this bundle of information before the product was ready for release. I mean, AI pretty much HAS to cover this as it is relevant news.  The appropriate thing to do is acknowledge the lack of concrete information while reporting on what information can be gleaned or inferred (which is exactly what they did).

Obviously they can’t to a review, but just as obviously they can’t simply ignore it. AMD made it news and wanted it to be reported on. It’s odd you would criticize AI for doing just that…
    chasmmuthuk_vanalingamradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 58
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    bala1234 said:
    bala1234 said:

It’s news, but not unexpected. AMD has been improving their design since their merger with ATI, and has taken the mobile gaming crown from Intel years ago. When I was younger AMD was made fun of as an unworthy competitor to Intel. I liked them because they gave arrogant Intel a run for their money and if I had to build a PC, I would probably use their processors. 

To me, it wasn’t surprising that they came out with this, they’re trying to create a powerful chip with low power requirements and that’s going to be tough in an X86 design, especially if you want it for gaming. 
    chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 58
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    Mac4mac said:
    On a consistency note…..at least twice in the story the 7840u is referred to as the 7860u…..
    No need to rush the proofread on such non-event story surely? 
    Have you considered that little errors like that may be deliberate, in order to reassure readers that it wasn't written by ChatGPT or some such? :lol: 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 58
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    williamh said:
    I thought this was going to be about the Apple-Silicon-Killer Intel Mediocre Lake chips that I read about elsewhere yesterday.  
    You mean this one?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 58
    dutchlorddutchlord Posts: 210member
    Speed is/was never an issue with Apple devices so who cares?
    KTRnubuswatto_cobramdwbaconstang
  • Reply 19 of 58
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    ... and should eGPU options available factor in on the 'dark' side ...?
    edited May 2023 williamlondon
  • Reply 20 of 58
    doggonedoggone Posts: 377member
    Competition is good and it will keep Apple on its toes. I would have been more worried if this was a ARM based chip because that is really the future of PCs.  That AMD is still focusing on X86 chips shows they do not understand that.
    I wonder what the cost difference will be.  Apple can put M2 chips into relatively cheap units.  Will this new AMD chip be that cost effective?

I'm alway blown away at the performance of my M1 powered MBP especially on battery.  M2 is nearly at the end of its life cycle so how much more faster will the M3 be?
    williamlondonchasmwatto_cobra