Get ready to pay more for the iPhone 15 Pro Max than ever before

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited July 2023

Supply chain checks suggest that the iPhone 15 production schedule is on track, but the iPhone 15 Pro Max is rumored to be more expensive than ever.

In a note to investors seen by AppleInsider, Jeff Pu of Haitong International Tech Research has chimed in on the iPhone 15 production schedule, predicted volumes of assembly, and the potential for a price hike. Starting off, Pu expects mass production to begin in earnest in August.

This is essentially on schedule, discounting the years where the iPhone assemblies were grossly impacted by COVID restrictions. IT also suggests that early low-volume construction has already begun, and is going fine -- but he did not go into detail on that matter.

Pu is also planting his flag on assembly numbers. In total, across all models, he is expecting Apple to produce about 84 million units. He does not go into model breakdown -- but does say that the iPhone 15 Pro Max, or iPhone 15 Ultra, whichever Apple decides to call it -- is expected to be popular in the early days.

This is not a radical claim. Historically speaking, the "pro" models are the most in-demand in the first five months, with the balance shifting after the new year passes.

Given the inclusion of new features in that highest-end iPhone, Pu is expecting a price hike on the model. He doesn't delve specifically into why or how much, but rumors have been claiming that the largest iPhone 15 Pro will have features that the smaller iPhone 15 Pro does not.

The most likely feature addition to the iPhone 15 Pro Max beyond an obviously larger battery and a bigger screen is a periscope lens granting a higher optical zoom than in older models. An outside possibility is a new sensor, which if accurate, would improve low-light performance in the iPhone 15, as well as better image quality across the board.

Pu's track record is mixed. He's been off-base with product details in the past, but has shared information generally considered to be accurate as it pertains to moves in Apple's supply chain. Thursday's note is more the latter than the former.

What to expect from the iPhone 15 lineup in the fall

As usual, Apple is anticipated to bring out four models of the iPhone 15, with iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro flanked by Max counterparts.

The bulk of the rumors for the entire iPhone 15 line pertains to display technology, with curved bezels touted across all models, as well as the spread of the Dynamic Island concept from Pro to non-Pro variants.

The iPhone 15 display is thought to reuse the same tech as the iPhone 14. ProMotion and the Always-On display are expected to stay a Pro feature for another generation.

It is also probable that Apple will finally ditch the Lightning connector in favor of embracing USB-C for its physical port, bringing the iPhone in line with the iPad family.

Rumors have also pointed to 48-megapixel cameras arriving on all models, as well as some debate over solid state or unified side buttons.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 842member
    We have been here before with the 12 Pro models when new camera tech was available but required the additional room of the Pro Max to implement. I lived with the 12 Pro Max for a year and while I enjoyed the camera system improvements, I hated the form factor. Too big for comfortable carry in a jeans pocket. too much weight when carried in s sport or suit jacket pocket--not too heavy to carry, of course, but you're always aware of the phone anchor you're carrying in one pocket or the other. Thankfully, by the time the 13 Pros launched, this tech has been sufficiently miniaturized that camera systems returned to equal features for both models and I switched to the smaller Pro. 

I'm disappointed that the periscope lens will apparently be a Pro Max only feature this year, but I get it. The iPhone Pro's short optical zoom range is seriously dated at this point among its premium phone competitors and Apple likely had to decide between a Max-only launch this year or waiting another year to launch in both models. If the difference between the Pro models--other than screen and battery size--is limited to the periscope lens, I would be surprised to see an additional price premium on the Pro Max. People always assume higher prices with Apple, but remember that all the rumors were pointing to the Apple Watch Ultra costing "at least" $1,000. That didn't happen even though the Ultra delivered on many premium features. 

I think it would be a huge mistake if Apple were to go further in additional features for the Pro Max model, relegating the regular Pro to "Pro-lite" status. Everyone buying a Pro model wants "the best" iPhone and for most people, the decision between Pro and Pro Max isn't a price issue, it's a form factor issue. I think the $100 upcharge for the Pro Max delivers outstanding value considering the increased screen size and battery life alone--I just don't like the size and weight of that form factor in an everyday carry item. But if the regular Pro becomes ProLite, Apple is going to have a very pissed off and vocal user base on its hands. 
    king editor the gratebyronlAlex1Nmac daddy zeemike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 27
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    My wishlist includes a UWA lens that isn't visibly soft at the edges (even on a 14 pro screen) and Apple Pencil support, especially for a Max...  If the UWA lens angle needed to be narrowed would that be worth some image quality improvement...?
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 27
    lewchenkolewchenko Posts: 122member
    Promotion to remain on the $1K + pros only ….

a feature you find on pretty much most mid or even lower end Androids. 

I’ve even seen basic 90hz refresh on bargain basement androids. I would have expected the regular 15 to have either full promotion 120 or at the very least a 90hz option like Samsung’s lower end non ultra s23. 

I have a feeling this 13pro in my pocket won’t be upgraded for a while yet. Apple’s value proposition is dwindling every year. 

edited July 2023 darkvaderwilliamlondonnubuselijahg
  • Reply 4 of 27
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,727member
    Being nitpicky here, but something that has not be released cannot be „more expensive than ever“. What was surely meant is that the next iteration of the „Max“ model will be more expensive than ever. Just sayin‘….
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 27
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Headline should read "Apple Planning On Price Gouging Even More".

iPhones are too expensive.  They always have been, $500 was too much for the original iPhone, and it's more than a new phone should cost today.  Even used prices are ridiculous now.

And I really wish Apple didn't tie price to screen size like they do.  There are plenty of idiots people who would happily pay big bucks for a small screen with all the fancy features, and sane people who just want a big screen and have no need for more than a rudimentary camera and don't want Face ID or the stupid notch that comes with it.
    williamlondonjfabula1avon b7elijahggrandact73
  • Reply 6 of 27
    lewchenko said:

Apple’s value proposition is dwindling every year. 

By what measure? The iPhone X -- which could be called the first of the "Pro" models -- sold for $1149 in 2017 for the 256GB capacity. That would be $1412 in 2023 dollars, accounting for inflation. But the iPhone 14 Pro with 256GB -- which is an exponentially better phone in every way -- sells for $1099. So, accounting for inflation, the iPhone Pro price has actually dropped significantly while the phone has improved every year. Even without inflation considered, the 14 Pro 256 would cost you $50 less than the iPhone X 256 from 6 years ago. 

What HAS dwindled each year are the reasons to upgrade, which is more a problem of reaching "peak phone" than it is an Apple deficiency. What big features are lacking? What performance needs to be improved signficantly? I've got no "must haves" on my wish list. So yes, your 13 Pro doesn't need to be upgraded yet because it likely does everything you need very well, unless one of the "like to have" improvements--like better optical zoom coming on the 15 Pro Max--becomes a reason for you to upgrade. 
    edited July 2023 williamlondonAlex1Naccsmobitmaybyronlbageljoeydewmebluefire1watto_cobramacike
  • Reply 7 of 27
    jamnapjamnap Posts: 89member
    darkvader said:

iPhones are too expensive.  They always have been, $500 was too much for the original iPhone, and it's more than a new phone should cost today.  Even used prices are ridiculous now.

And I really wish Apple didn't tie price to screen size like they do.  There are plenty of idiots people who would happily pay big bucks for a small screen with all the fancy features, and sane people who just want a big screen and have no need for more than a rudimentary camera and don't want Face ID or the stupid notch that comes with it.

• Reply 8 of 27
    jamnapjamnap Posts: 89member
    iPhones prices do not bother me when you think about all the R&D being done, as well as constant iOS software updates/upgrades. This also goes for my Mac and MBP: os updates and upgrades require software engineers.  Years ago before I smartened up and dumped Windows for Mac, I recall paying MicroSoft for yearly Windows updates.  Not sure today if Window users have to pay for software upgrades but I know I have never paid for any Apple device OS updates.  And, it must cost Apple $$$$ to keep updating Maps, Numbers and Pages -- all of which I use daily and have never paid a fee to use.
    byronlAlex1Nwilliamlondonwatto_cobramacike
  • Reply 9 of 27
    dutchlorddutchlord Posts: 214member
    I am in the phase of reducing tech and social media in my life. More connection with people, nature, friend and family. This feels really good and was long overdue.
    byronlwilliamlondon9secondkox2mac daddy zee
  • Reply 10 of 27
    byronlbyronl Posts: 363member
    charlesn said:
    We have been here before with the 12 Pro models when new camera tech was available but required the additional room of the Pro Max to implement. I lived with the 12 Pro Max for a year and while I enjoyed the camera system improvements, I hated the form factor. Too big for comfortable carry in a jeans pocket. too much weight when carried in s sport or suit jacket pocket--not too heavy to carry, of course, but you're always aware of the phone anchor you're carrying in one pocket or the other. Thankfully, by the time the 13 Pros launched, this tech has been sufficiently miniaturized that camera systems returned to equal features for both models and I switched to the smaller Pro. 

I'm disappointed that the periscope lens will apparently be a Pro Max only feature this year, but I get it. The iPhone Pro's short optical zoom range is seriously dated at this point among its premium phone competitors and Apple likely had to decide between a Max-only launch this year or waiting another year to launch in both models. If the difference between the Pro models--other than screen and battery size--is limited to the periscope lens, I would be surprised to see an additional price premium on the Pro Max. People always assume higher prices with Apple, but remember that all the rumors were pointing to the Apple Watch Ultra costing "at least" $1,000. That didn't happen even though the Ultra delivered on many premium features. 

I think it would be a huge mistake if Apple were to go further in additional features for the Pro Max model, relegating the regular Pro to "Pro-lite" status. Everyone buying a Pro model wants "the best" iPhone and for most people, the decision between Pro and Pro Max isn't a price issue, it's a form factor issue. I think the $100 upcharge for the Pro Max delivers outstanding value considering the increased screen size and battery life alone--I just don't like the size and weight of that form factor in an everyday carry item. But if the regular Pro becomes ProLite, Apple is going to have a very pissed off and vocal user base on its hands. 
    i really hope the regular pro also gets the periscope lens next year, as the phone is too big for me too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 27
    darkvader said:

How small must your life be when it's reduced to trolling on websites for products you don't even like. 
    williamlondonchasmtmaymike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 27
    accsmobiaccsmobi Posts: 10member
    Well whoever wants it and can afford it ,fine . This level of quality,perfomance and style cant come cheap. I dont regret getting my 14 Pro Max,but sure as hell I wont renew for 4 or 5 years :))
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 27
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    dutchlord said:
    I am in the phase of reducing tech and social media in my life. More connection with people, nature, friend and family. This feels really good and was long overdue.
    Yet another comment that's all about you and nothing about the article, put the damn mirror down.
    chasm9secondkox2mike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 27
    I am wondering if the 15 Pro Max will sport special interoperability with the Vision Pro. I am also wondering if the 15 Pro Max will sport unique features such as flash synchronization and square image sensors.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 27
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,647member
    I've determined the best time to buy a Pro Max is Jan-Feb or about 6 months AFTER the newest phones launch.   I saw discounts that tempted me to upgrade at 2.5 years instead of 3.   Now, I'm waiting until 3.5 years to upgrade my 12.   Then I'll stick to every two years at the 6 Months After Launch time period.   The prices are great then.  Kind of like the old days when they offered nearly the cost of the phone new as trade in.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 27
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,306member
    Smartphones are expensive, yes, but if you use a wide variety of the features, then the value proposition is still very good. That said, anyone who is upgrading after only two years may not see the value as much as someone who is upgrading after, let’s say, four years.

Unless you have a lot of discretionary income or are a genius at taking advantage of the best offers from carriers, upgrading every couple of years is — at this point where progress is more incremental than revolutionary — not as great an idea as it once was.
    tmaywilliamlondondewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 27
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    Let’s see:

1) Bidenflation

2) China gouging us on price since the pandrmic

3) tsmc 3nm SOC manufacturing costs a boatload more. 

4) Sony getting in on the gouging with camera upgrades. 

Miss anything? 

Dang. Guess I’ll have to hang on to my 11 pro max s little longer. Was hoping to upgrade this year. 
    edited July 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Let’s see:

1) Bidenflation

2) China gouging us on price since the pandrmic

3) tsmc 3nm SOC manufacturing costs a boatload more. 

4) Sony getting in on the gouging with camera upgrades. 

Miss anything? 

Dang. Guess I’ll have to hang on to my 11 pro max s little longer. Was hoping to upgrade this year. 
    Did you miss anything? Yes. Common sense. Honestly, WHAT are you talking about? The iPhone X was the first "pro" model back in 2017 and not only have Pro prices never gone up since then, but if you take inflation into account, they have actually gone down quite dramatically. As I pointed out in another post, the iPhone X/256GB sold for $1149 in 2017. Accounting for inflation, that's $1412 in 2023 dollars. So how much does the vastly improved iPhone 14 Pro/256GB cost in 2023? $1099. That's 22% less than the iPhone X pricing. Sorry to burst the bubble on the price-gouging fairy tale playing in you head but it has absolutely no basis in fact or reality. 
    mike1williamlondonwatto_cobraJFC_PA
  • Reply 19 of 27
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    I won’t be payin 4 $#!% I’ll be rockin my 12 mini till the very last update. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 27
    lewchenkolewchenko Posts: 122member
    The US is in a fortunate position price wise in terms of value. As someone outlined with the the cost of the X model compared to now, and that’s true.  Other countries not so much. It doesn’t matter that the £/$ ratio is largely £1.28 to the $ now (ie quite good) , Apple has hiked prices in the UK and Europe for a while when there is a dip … BUT never lowers them when the rate recovers. 
    The end result is prices in Europe that are considerably higher than the US even when you take into account Tax. 

muthuk_vanalingamelijahgwilliamlondonwatto_cobra