Windows won't dominate enterprise in a decade, says outgoing Jamf CEO

Posted:
in General Discussion

Dean Hager of Apple device management firm Jamf predicts Windows will no longer be the dominant enterprise platform, and Apple will take its place.

Dean Hager of Jamf
Dean Hager of Jamf

Hager has previously praised Apple's competitor to Jamf, Apple Business Essentials. Now that he is about to stand down, he's predicting Apple will topple Windows in corporations.

"No matter which way you look at it, Windows is a declining ecosystem and has been for 20 years," Hager told ComputerWorld. "That's not a knock at Windows, it's a statement of fact."

"In 10 years' time, Windows will not be the dominant ecosystem," he said. "Apple is coming up because it already dominates the mobile enterprise."

"When I joined Jamf in 2015, I thought some pretty special things were going to happen with Apple in the enterprise," continued Hager. "But I think even my predictions would have fallen far short of what has actually happened in the last eight years."

Hager's point is partly that he says Windows has no mobile device to equal the iPhone, and so can't be what he calls an "endpoint leader." It can't dominate because it isn't competing across the platforms enterprise users want.

But it's also that issue of the customer and their needs.

"We live in an environment where people using the technology have a stronger voice than they've ever had in the history of the corporate world," he said. "And ultimately that voice will prevail."

"[Users] will choose the technology that they want, and this just wasn't true 20 or even 10 years ago," he continued. "But the world has changed, employees have a choice, and those organizations that don't allow that choice are falling behind today."

Following the launch of Apple Business Essentials, aimed at smaller firms, Jamf has added a Jamf Fundamentals plan for the same market.

Read on AppleInsider

KTR

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,545member
    I wish my company would let me use a MacBook Pro over the shitty Dell they force on everyone…
    lolliverwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 22
    thttht Posts: 5,536member
    No way?

MS Windows PCs may not be the majority of PC computers in Enterprise/Corporations 10 years from now, but it's going to be an MS ecosystem of Azure, Outlook, Office, Teams, etc. There are uncountable bytes of documents in Office formats. As long as those are around, everyone in business is using Office. From there it branches to Azure backends for Teams and Outlook. Teams and Outlook should merge into one app. Tired of have multiple ways to communicate to people.
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondondewmeITGUYINSDFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 3 of 22
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,744member
    saarek said:
    I wish my company would let me use a MacBook Pro over the shitty Dell they force on everyone…
    I'd imagine that, unless you're doing something which requires a powerful machine (videography, engineering, etc), they'd replace it with a MacBook Air if anything.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 22
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I have to say that this is a load of B.S.  Apple is not going to take over in Enterprise in 10 years.  They want low-cost computers to give everyone and Apple isn't that.  We have 1 person at work who is using a Mac Mini, but for use the software we use, he as to Emulate Windows.  because there is no Mac version of the software.   That is the biggest reason.  Lack of Mac software versions.  I don't see that changing.

Trying to compare what is happening in enterprise to what has happened in Mobile.  Well,  that would mean Chromebooks would be taking over the world right?  Just like Android has 80% of the global market?  I don't see Chromebooks going anywhere either.   

Windows is here to stay unless there is a move to Linux.   When I was first working at my current job, I was using a Linux computer.  it was a few years before moving over to a Windows computer.  I see Linux far more likey than Windows or Apple if there is some major charge in the workforce computer.

zoetmbdewmeITGUYINSDFileMakerFellermuthuk_vanalingambeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 5 of 22
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    JBdragon gets it right.  Corporate I.T. Is still conservative, reluctant to change, penny pinching and in general, still Apple adverse, although they make exceptions for “creatives”.   

Plus there’s a ton of B-to-B application software that won’t run under MacOS.  

It wasn’t all that many years ago that I was fighting with clients because they didn’t even want to replace 800 X 600 monitors.  

Plus, what does the typical employee do on a computer?  Email, scheduling, texting, maybe word processing and spreadsheets and some web browsing.  All things a PC does fine.  
    dewmewilliamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 22
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,545member
    auxio said:
    saarek said:
    I'd imagine that, unless you're doing something which requires a powerful machine (videography, engineering, etc), they'd replace it with a MacBook Air if anything.
    I'm a data analyst, so for me it'd be a very good upgrade. I've got a 16" M1 Pro for my own personal use, it absolutely wipes the floor with the 2 year old i7 notebook I'm stuck with in the office.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Yeah, I’m sure that is going to happen.
    williamlondonFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 8 of 22
    A 15 inches dell notebook is $ 1010 in Brazil.

A 15 inches Macbook air is $ 2100.

Apple needs to take other countries outside of the US seriously if they really want to dominate.

Apple Maps need to be better here.  We don't even have HomePods yet.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 22
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 521member
    Apple was in the enterprise business many years back.  They got complacent, and finally just stopped doing anything with Mac OS Server until it just died of old age.

Now they want us to trust them again?  Spend huge dollars on their equipment just to be forgotten again?  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.

And, no one wants to use the free Apple productivity apps except people who are so anti-MS they force themselves to, or are to cheap to pay for MS Office like everyone else.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 10 of 22
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,081member
    A 15 inches dell notebook is $ 1010 in Brazil.

A 15 inches Macbook air is $ 2100.

Apple needs to take other countries outside of the US seriously if they really want to dominate.

Apple Maps need to be better here.  We don't even have HomePods yet.
    Other than the 5% who can afford Apple devices in Brazil? The price isn’t going down, Apple isn’t even dropping the prices in Europe, if you want something electronic 100% cheap Chinese knock-offs are it for most.
    williamlondonlolliver
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Those legacy Windows-only apps will make nice future web apps, which can be run from any computer, and a staple suite of ordinary office products isn't going to be the OS-anchor forever, especially in a cloud (and Azure) world.

Why not just let the user decide at that point? Who cares if more people choose Windows machines or Mac machines, seriously? At least the users would have a choice, something they mostly lack today and any "win by volume" is most definitely not the strong point people claim when the choice is forced upon you.
    Alex_Vlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 22
    zoetmb said:
    JBdragon gets it right.  Corporate I.T. Is still conservative, reluctant to change, penny pinching and in general, still Apple adverse, although they make exceptions for “creatives”.   
    thtskingersappleinsideruserwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 13 of 22
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 633member
    What wins is dollars spent and as far as I’ve seen, Apple computers are far less to operate. Corporate IT will see the difference and chose accordingly, overtime. 
    So the prediction sounds about right.
    williamlondonlolliverwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 14 of 22
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 633member
    danox said:
    Other than the 5% who can afford Apple devices in Brazil? The price isn’t going down, Apple isn’t even dropping the prices in Europe, if you want something electronic 100% cheap Chinese knock-offs are it for most.
    That’s because the technology industry has you thinking that there is a ‘free lunch’ out there, and we keep trying to find it. While Apple is pricing (and building to last) hardware at what it really costs, along with support.
    williamlondonAlex_Vlolliverwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 15 of 22
    ctjrockctjrock Posts: 2member
    Going to say no on that one. 25 year enterprise developer and unless there is a very compelling reason to do so, the enterprise moves very slowly. Hell, my company still has mainframes running 40 year old mission critical systems that are built on COBOL. No CIO would ever be able to justify the cost of migrating to macOS over from Wintel. 
    M68000williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 22
    M68000M68000 Posts: 778member
    Not likely at company i work for.  We have roughly 2400 linux desktops for POS at our stores.  We have roughly 2100 windows laptops and desktops.  As for Mac - about 10 devices.

let’s face it,  microsoft owns the office suite and will protect it by whatever  is needed.  All the best features will be on windows platform.  

In general,  business software is built mainly for windows by developers.  That is not likely to change any time soon.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 225member
    I’ve said it before. Microsoft exists solely because of Excel. All it’s other apps are replaceable. If you have legacy Word or PowerPoint files, you can open and use them in countless ways; but your old business spreadsheets absolutely positively must open in Excel, if you don’t want trouble. Therefore, you must buy the Office suite, and a PC running Windows, and subscribe to their cloud service (because it’s bundled), and therefore you must use their god-forsaken email and calendar etc. because the IT guy commands it. Therefore every enterprise buys PCs running Office, and that’s why every widget company builds Windows PC-compatible software, and so, most widget machines in factories around the world are controlled from a PC.

Apple replacing Microsoft in the Enterprise? I don’t see it. But I do see Microsoft being gradually eroded, as businesses move from the “hammer” that is Excel, to other more precise tools. Who will replace Microsoft in the enterprise? Maybe this is the moment for the open source movement to step into the ring. 
  • Reply 18 of 22
    skingersskingers Posts: 32member
    Interesting article.  Under Ballmer/Gates I would have said "no way" but this is a different MS now.  They care more about the cloud and their apps running on everything now more so than the user OS.  The article is right, they have no viable portable platform now, iOS and Android dominate and are more important than desktop or laptop OS instances now.  The Windows OEM business is actually worth much less in terms of revenue than just the Mac business alone and is utterly dwarfed by iPhone and iPad.  End point IS dying for Windows and with it being a diminishing part of MS revenue their focus is going to be "azure, office 365 and Xbox in the cloud for all" more so than protecting a shrinking user OS share.
    williamlondonappleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 22
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 434member
    tht said:
    No way?

MS Windows PCs may not be the majority of PC computers in Enterprise/Corporations 10 years from now, but it's going to be an MS ecosystem of Azure, Outlook, Office, Teams, etc. There are uncountable bytes of documents in Office formats. As long as those are around, everyone in business is using Office. From there it branches to Azure backends for Teams and Outlook. Teams and Outlook should merge into one app. Tired of have multiple ways to communicate to people.
    Teams is a steaming pile of electron sh*t.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 22
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,449member
    kimberly said:
    tht said:
    No way?

Teams is a steaming pile of electron sh*t.
    MS Teams in moving away from Electron. 

Microsoft Teams: Advantages of the new architecture - Microsoft Community Hub

You can switch to the preview of the new version in Windows, and end of the year for macOS.  

New Microsoft Teams (Preview) – Microsoft Adoption