Apple's wireless tech R&D offices in Irvine expand again

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2023

Apple is adding another two floors of office space in Irvine, California, as it continues to expand the team working on developing its own in-house wireless processors.

Irvine offices (Source: Irvine Company Office Properties)
Irvine offices (Source: Irvine Company Office Properties)

The first Orange County offices for Apple's wireless R&D efforts were established in the Spectrum Terrace offices, some 630 miles south of Apple Park. That provided 115,290 square feet of office space, and now Apple has signed a deal for 55,667 square at 17800 Laguna Canyon Road, a two-minute drive away.

According to the Orange County Business Journal, the new space is owned by the same real estate developer as Spectrum Terrace. This second expansion is expected to see Apple moving in to the new space in December 2023.

As with the original expansion, Apple is reportedly now recruiting for hardware engineers and researches familiar with radio frequency integrated circuit (RFIC) technology. It's also hiring engineers to work on its own semiconductors for Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.

Apple has most notably bought wireless processors from Qualcomm, and currently continues to do so. But according to the Orange County Business Journal, it has also been a major customer for Irvine-based semiconductor firms including Skyworks Solutions Inc.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    Not 630 miles from Apple Park, more like 400.  You had me wondering how tall California is lol.
    waveparticlewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I agree, not sure where the 630 came from, it's 390 miles driving, and 350 miles if you draw a straight line.

[EDIT:  I didn't think through what I was saying, 630 km = 390 mi, easy conversion, easy mistake to make]
    edited July 2023 FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 3
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    Yup completely superficial mistake in this case, but if it were airbag deployment based on deceleration rate or a Mars mission then it becomes a little more important.  A Mars mission actually failed due to lack of proper distance conversion.
    edited July 2023 FileMakerFeller