Apple TV+ series to be screened on Air Canada

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2023

Air Canada has announced the addition of Apple TV+ hits including "Ted Lasso" to its inflight entertainment offerings, and separately is offering customers two free months access to the streamer.

Source: Air Canada
Source: Air Canada

Apple TV+ shows are already available on American Airline flights, and the streamer recently signed a deal to have its programming on France's Canel+ service. Now Air Canada says that as of August 1, 2023, Apple TV shows, series, and films will be added to its more than 2,500 hours of onboard entertainment.

"At Air Canada, we know that inflight entertainment is an important part of our customers' travel journey, particularly on long-haul flights," John Moody, Managing Director of Product Design at Air Canada, said in a statement. "We continually evaluate opportunities to expand our entertainment and introduce exclusive, current content that our customers will love."

"We look forward to welcoming customers onboard to catch up on their favourite Apple TV+ shows or discover new hits during their flight," continued Moody. "This new partnership with Apple puts us on track to increase our onboard entertainment content by more than 95 per cent since last year."

As well as adding these shows to its inflight entertainment package, Air Canada is partnering with Apple to offer two months of Apple TV+ free, whether they are new or existing Apple subscribers.

Air Canada also says that more entertainment deals will be made before the end of the year.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,587member
    Will Air Canada limit itself to shows that are available to all ages? Will Air Canada hide any scenes involving excessive violence, vulgarity, nudity or sex? Does Apple allow "censoring" its shows for such purposes?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,127member
    Will Air Canada limit itself to shows that are available to all ages? Will Air Canada hide any scenes involving excessive violence, vulgarity, nudity or sex? Does Apple allow "censoring" its shows for such purposes?

Did you follow either the American Airlines or Air Canada links? The shows are pre-loaded so they can pick and choose which shows to Air. Also, it's Apple TV+. I haven't watched every show, but they aren't terribly explicit, it'll be on the seatbacks so not terribly visible to the rest of the plane, audio on headphones not speakers. It's not like my friend's mother in law sitting next to the grandkids reading 50 shades of grey (I think) on her Kindle in 48 point type!
    Bart Ylolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I hate to be one to bring this up…but… will this include Hijack? Genuinely not sure if inflight entertainment should include films/shows about hijackings, etc. Have airlines in the past shown Flightplan, Snakes on a plane, Executive Decision, etc?
    edited August 2023
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Bart YBart Y Posts: 67unconfirmed, member
    I hate to be one to bring this up…but… will this include Hijack? Genuinely not sure if inflight entertainment should include films/shows about hijackings, etc. Have airlines in the past shown Flightplan, Snakes on a plane, Executive Decision, etc?
    I’ll bet Air Force One and DieHard were probably shown.  I would have watched Airplane! in an airplane too but probably the whole plane would have been loudly laughing.
    lolliver
  • Reply 5 of 6
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,587member
    mknelson said:

Did you follow either the American Airlines or Air Canada links? The shows are pre-loaded so they can pick and choose which shows to Air. Also, it's Apple TV+. I haven't watched every show, but they aren't terribly explicit, it'll be on the seatbacks so not terribly visible to the rest of the plane, audio on headphones not speakers. It's not like my friend's mother in law sitting next to the grandkids reading 50 shades of grey (I think) on her Kindle in 48 point type!
    You successfully avoided each of my questions, congratulations!! My questions remain fair and unanswered.

You seem to be asserting, without being clear on this point, that all Apple TV+ shows are suitable for all ages and for use on an airplane. Even Apple disagrees with you on that, because they put age ratings at the beginning of their show (at least here in Canada. The ratings in other countries might differ.) For example, the show "HIJACK" says "18+" at the start, and even with that warning, I doubt Air Canada would air that one, dontchya think? Many Apple TV+ shows have adult-only themes. In fact, some of them have warnings that the show has bright flashing lights that may cause seizures. Do you think Airlines will show those programs, or will airlines edit them, and will airlines be allowed to edit Apple TV+ shows for this or any purpose? Please answer the question of whether Apple will allow editing of its own programs.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    longfanglongfang Posts: 460member
    mknelson said:

You successfully avoided each of my questions, congratulations!! My questions remain fair and unanswered.

You seem to be asserting, without being clear on this point, that all Apple TV+ shows are suitable for all ages and for use on an airplane. Even Apple disagrees with you on that, because they put age ratings at the beginning of their show (at least here in Canada. The ratings in other countries might differ.) For example, the show "HIJACK" says "18+" at the start, and even with that warning, I doubt Air Canada would air that one, dontchya think? Many Apple TV+ shows have adult-only themes. In fact, some of them have warnings that the show has bright flashing lights that may cause seizures. Do you think Airlines will show those programs, or will airlines edit them, and will airlines be allowed to edit Apple TV+ shows for this or any purpose? Please answer the question of whether Apple will allow editing of its own programs.
    How tf are we supposed to know? Do you think anyone here was in on the negotiations? Or are you “only asking questions?” Like that *ucker Carlson fella.