New ad campaign tells you to 'Pay the Apple Way'

Posted:
in iOS

Apple has launched a new campaign for Apple Pay in the United States and the United Kingdom, telling iPhone owners they should "Pay the Apple Way."

Launched on Tuesday, the campaign titled "Pay the Apple Way" aims to encourage more people to use Apple Pay to handle transactions in their daily lives.

Rather than handling a large wallet or exposing card numbers while fumbling around with multiple cards, the campaign instead hints to Apple device users that Apple Pay is less complicated and more convenient. Paying the Apple Way is also more secure and private, using the same level of protection as users already receive for their data.

As part of the campaign, a Digital Out-Of-Home experience will be offered at prominent streets and malls on both sides of the Atlantic. In the UK, London, Birmingham, and Manchester will see the promotion, while Atlanta and Dallas will be the venues in the United States.

A quartet of new video advertisements will also air in the two countries, using humor to pass the message along.

Apple is also going to use a collection of content creators to make spots for TikTok using the line. Each creator will be offered a personalized version of the query "Can I [Blank] with Apple Pay?", which will result in a video for the platform.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    mayflymayfly Posts: 385member
    We've been doing it since Apple Pay and the Wallet were introduced. The added security of having a one-time code, and the merchant not seeing our card number was the main feature that drove our decision. In light of all the credit card account hacks in the last 5-8 years, it's worth it for that alone. Using the watch to pay without having to touch anything during the worst of the pandemic was a huge bonus too.
    AniMillFileMakerFellerBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    I hate to nit-pick, but the Apple banner states "Pay the Secure Way" (not Apple Way). Apple is big on promoting security and privacy, which has made me an Apple fan since 1978! (Apple ][+ with a whopping 64k RAM).
    appleinsideruserAniMillFileMakerFellerwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,144member
    I hate to nit-pick, but the Apple banner states "Pay the Secure Way" (not Apple Way). Apple is big on promoting security and privacy, which has made me an Apple fan since 1978! (Apple ][+ with a whopping 64k RAM).
    Yes, but the campaign started with the hashtag #PayTheAppleWay about a week ago. That's likely the name of the campaign. You'll note the watch ad also has different copy vs the banner.
    FileMakerFellerBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    I exclusively use Apple Pay for 2 years now.

Best thing ever to just leave home without a wallet.
    mayflyBart Ywilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13

How do you pay at places that don't take Apple Pay? Like almost every gas station? Cash?
    grandact73
  • Reply 6 of 13
    p-dogp-dog Posts: 136member
    mayfly said:

How do you pay at places that don't take Apple Pay? Like almost every gas station? Cash?
    1. You go out with at least one physical credit card for those Luddite establishments.

2. You find a new place to purchase your gasoline.

When I was in the UK this summer visiting my family, I could pay for absolutely everything using Apple Pay with my Apple Watch, even cabbies and street vendors. And, because I have the Apple Card, I paid no foreign transaction fees. The US is so far behind and so regressive when it comes to payment systems and processing. The worst part are the sheep-like American consumers. I often stand in line at LiDL in the US (which, like any German retail outlet, definitely accepts Apple Pay) and I see people with iPhones wearing Apple Watches whipping out credit cards and punching in a PIN. How retrograde.
    edited August 2023 Bart Ywilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    p-dog said:
    mayfly said:

1. You go out with at least one physical credit card for those Luddite establishments.

When I was in the UK this summer visiting my family, I could pay for absolutely everything using Apple Pay with my Apple Watch, even cabbies and street vendors. And, because I have the Apple Card, I paid no foreign transaction fees. The US is so far behind and so regressive when it comes to payment systems and processing. The worst part are the sheep-like American consumers. I often stand in line at LiDL in the US (which, like any German retail outlet, definitely accepts Apple Pay) and I see people with iPhones wearing Apple Watches whipping out credit cards and punching in a PIN. How retrograde.
    1. So you don't use Apple Pay exclusively after all.
    2) Europe is about a decade ahead of the U.S. in acceptance of touchless payment systems. Every restaurant there uses handheld payment devices and brings them to your table. They all take Apple Pay. I have yet to visit one restaurant in America, where I live, that offers that. The best you can expect is an Apple Pay POS terminal at the counter, and those are only offered at restaurants where you pay before you eat, not after.
    watto_cobragrandact73
  • Reply 8 of 13
    p-dogp-dog Posts: 136member
    mayfly said:
    p-dog said:
    mayfly said:

I never said I did use Apple Pay exclusively - that was the original poster who claimed that. I live in the US, so 100% Apple Pay everywhere is, sadly, still a pipe dream. I HATE giving a credit card to a waiter, and explaining how wonderfully that process is handled in Europe usually elicits vacuous stares from people.

edited August 2023 williamlondonwatto_cobramayfly
  • Reply 9 of 13
    I am a member of Costco. What pisses me off is that they accept Apple Pay in store. But! I cannot use it at the gas pump. You have to use the physical credit card to make the transaction. I cannot use the phone. Can somebody tell me why that is? 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,533member
    I find it bizarre in the extreme that the US is still, so many years later, not quite fully up to speed on contactless payment such as Apple Pay.

Other countries I visit, I can get to 100 percent Apple Pay pretty easily. It’s getting better in the US, for sure, but still about 75-80 percent. Very odd that America has fallen down this hard on this particular technical innovation, which applies to cards themselves as well as competing payment systems just as much as Apple Pay.*

*Though Apple Pay is far and away the best, of course.
    watto_cobrap-dog
  • Reply 11 of 13
    p-dog said:
    mayfly said:
    p-dog said:
    mayfly said:

I never said I did use Apple Pay exclusively - that was the original poster who claimed that. I live in the US, so 100% Apple Pay everywhere is, sadly, still a pipe dream. I HATE giving a credit card to a waiter, and explaining how wonderfully that process is handled in Europe usually elicits vacuous stares from people.

You're preaching to the choir, brother!
    p-dog
  • Reply 12 of 13
    I am a member of Costco. What pisses me off is that they accept Apple Pay in store. But! I cannot use it at the gas pump. You have to use the physical credit card to make the transaction. I cannot use the phone. Can somebody tell me why that is? 
    Retrofitting the pumps POS systems costs money. In American life, it's ALWAYS about the money.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,922administrator
    Probably old pumps. I can use Apple Pay at the pump at one Costco near me, but not another.
    p-dog