Three iPhone 15 models rumored to get Thunderbolt/USB4 connector

Posted:
in iPhone

Yet more leaked images of USB-C components for the iPhone 15 range appear to show that at least three models will have full Thunderbolt speeds.

Render of the expected iPhone 15 Pro chassis design. (Source: AppleInsider)

Render of the expected iPhone 15 Pro chassis design. (Source: AppleInsider)

If the long-running rumors that the iPhone 15 range would switch from Lightning to USB-C connectors weren't enough, then the EU demanding it happen soon should be. Apple is going to switch to USB-C for the iPhone, it is only a question of when -- and now yet more evidence says it will be with the iPhone 15.

Following one apparently fake image of USB-C components, one more likely image, and then one seemingly likely leak, there is now more. According to ChargerLab, new component images reveal what's claimed to be a controller chip that indicates Thunderbolt/USB4.

Three USB-C components appear to show a small extra chip that could indicate Thunderbolt/USB4 is supported (Source: ChargerLab)
Three USB-C components appear to show a small extra chip that could indicate Thunderbolt/USB4 is supported (Source: ChargerLab)

"In addition to the revelation of the iPhone 15's port design, a mysterious IC is faintly visible behind the USB-C female socket," says the site. "Upon magnification, it becomes apparent that this IC is a Retimer chip."

"This suggests that multiple models within the iPhone 15 series will support Thunderbolt/USB4's high-speed 40Gbps data transmission," it continues.

ChargerLab has examined three leaked images and found the apparent Retimer chip on all of them. So it appears that at least three iPhone 15 models will get USB-C with Thunderbolt's 40Gbps high-speed data transmission capabilities.

If Apple again produces four models of iPhone, it's hard to see one that warrant failing to have the speed. Previously it had been rumored that Thunderbolt speeds would be exclusive to the iPhone 15 Pro models.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,434member
    "Apple demonstrates to the EU how artisanal lemonade is made".

tenthousandthingsjas99entropyswilliamlondonappleinsideruserbadmonkrobin huber
  • Reply 2 of 48
    this to me points to only one thing: Apple finally taking the EU seriously for once and also taking their previous letter of complaint that "any artificial (software) limitations the common port" are "not in line with the regulation" to heart. thus acting accordingly, so my suspicion is that all iPhone 15's will have fast data transfer and fast charging / power delivery / quick charge etc.

In the end this is better for the user, and in the long run better for the planet.
    If only USA could catch up to the laws and regulations of the EU on these things....
    williamlondonAlex1Nqwerty52
  • Reply 3 of 48
    mayflymayfly Posts: 385member
    "This suggests that multiple models within the iPhone 15 series will support Thunderbolt/USB4's high-speed 40Gbps data transmission,"

What are people doing on their iPhones that would benefit from 40Gbps data transmission bandwidth?
    Alex1Nrobin huber
  • Reply 4 of 48
    mayfly said:
    "This suggests that multiple models within the iPhone 15 series will support Thunderbolt/USB4's high-speed 40Gbps data transmission,"

What are people doing on their iPhones that would benefit from 40Gbps data transmission bandwidth?
    Transferring 4K videos taken using iPhones to their Macs?
    tmaynarwhalchiarezwitsAlex1Nnapoleon_phoneapart
  • Reply 5 of 48
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,434member
    daveflash said:
    this to me points to only one thing: Apple finally taking the EU seriously for once and also taking their previous letter of complaint that "any artificial (software) limitations the common port" are "not in line with the regulation" to heart. thus acting accordingly, so my suspicion is that all iPhone 15's will have fast data transfer and fast charging / power delivery / quick charge etc.

In the end this is better for the user, and in the long run better for the planet.
    If only USA could catch up to the laws and regulations of the EU on these things....
    If Apple does indeed include TB4 in iPhones, it is certainly because it waited as long as possible to comply with the EU mandate. Will definitely be worth the wait.

Not sure if it makes all that much difference to the planet, since a 2 gram Lightning to Type C adapter would have accomplished the same result, but yeah, in the long run, TB4 will definitely be better for Apple users.
    edited August 2023 40domiwilliamlondonAlex1Nqwerty52
  • Reply 6 of 48
    That’s the real deal!
  • Reply 7 of 48
    You are not getting full Thunderbolt speed from every phone. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 48
    mayfly said:

Transferring ProRes videos to their Macs. Waiting for iCloud sync for 10GB+ videos is painful. 
    narwhalchiaAlex1N
  • Reply 9 of 48

If Apple again produces four models of iPhone, it's hard to see one that warrant failing to have the speed. 

There’s a very easy explanation for this: There will be an iPhone Ultra. 

The bit about the “periscope camera only being on the Pro Max” convinced me, putting it on the one model but not the other would just be too contradictory to their established strategy. Ultra makes way more sense.

And that’s why there’s three Thunderbolt connectors, there’s three top tier phones. (Now if they would just augment the bottom tier by bringing back the Mini…)
    40domientropysAlex1NKierkegaardenmobirdaderutterjdmac29
  • Reply 10 of 48
    Would TB ports on iPhones also enable it to drive large screens?

May be helpful in scenarios where airplay is not an option or desirable.

personally I am happy about a convergence on usb c as it will greatly simplify charger/connectors etc 
    williamlondonAlex1Ndrdavidkingofsomewherehotqwerty52
  • Reply 11 of 48
    Would TB ports on iPhones also enable it to drive large screens?

May be helpful in scenarios where airplay is not an option or desirable.

personally I am happy about a convergence on usb c as it will greatly simplify charger/connectors etc 
  • Reply 12 of 48
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,267member
    Eric_WVGG said:

If Apple again produces four models of iPhone, it's hard to see one that warrant failing to have the speed. 

The bit about the “periscope camera only being on the Pro Max” convinced me, putting it on the one model but not the other would just be too contradictory to their established strategy. Ultra makes way more sense.

And that’s why there’s three Thunderbolt connectors, there’s three top tier phones. (Now if they would just augment the bottom tier by bringing back the Mini…)
    I agree on the Ultra comment. Of course the Ultra will end up costing more (does already) than a MBA. We already see people using iPads as cameras so why not use a MBA that already has TB on it. Apple should include the periscope and other cameras in the MBA and you’d have a very capable cinema camera with an easy to view screen and at least two TB ports for large, external storage. 

(Just a little sarcasm 😉)
    rezwitsAlex1N
  • Reply 13 of 48
    mfrydmfryd Posts: 216member
    While Apple is likely to switch to USB-C, it is not because the EU is forcing the switch.    Consider the Apple Watch.  It lacks USB-C, and uses a magnetic charging puck.   If Apple placed a plastic plug in the lightning port of an iPhone 14, it would meet the new EU rules.  The USB-C requirement only applies to phones that use wired charging, not to phones that use wireless charging.  If Apple plugs up the Lightning port, and changes the documentation to read that EU model iPhones may only be charged with a MagSafe® or Qi charger, then the device meets the EU guidelines.   Now if the consumer removes the plastic plug in the lighting port, that would be on them.

However, I don't think this will happen.  Apple is already moving their entire product line to USB-C.  The iPad is in the middle of transitioning.  The Apple TV remote has switched over.  It's only a matter of time before the iPhone, AirPods, etc. move to USB-C.

Remember, Apple is not afraid of abandoning old users in order to move to a new technology.   Apple was happy to abandon their proprietary Apple Desktop Bus (ADB) Mice and Keyboards, when they suddenly switched to USB.  The original iPhone and iPods had an Apple 30 pin connection, that was abandoned when they moved to lightning.
    rezwitsAlex1Ndrdavid
  • Reply 14 of 48
    40domi40domi Posts: 138member
    Eric_WVGG said:

The Mini needs to be a pro model, 5.8" like the 11 pro would be ideal and I for one would upgrade straight away, the only reason I didn't get the Mini was battery and it was the lower tier devise
    mobird
  • Reply 15 of 48
    40domi40domi Posts: 138member

The fact is, it has nothing to do with EU.
    It has to do with Pro Res Video downloads, it's very slow and painful at the moment for users who use ProRes.
    It should have happened on the 14 Pro's, but didn't due to production issues in China.
    They will definitely be Thunderbolt on the Pro's, otherwise no point to it. The third one is likely to be the Ultra and that's the one that will have the periscope lens.
    No way the standard 15's are getting Thunderbolt
    PauloSeraatmaychiawilliamlondonAlex1NmattinozbadmonkKierkegaardenmarthas694
  • Reply 16 of 48
    mayflymayfly Posts: 385member
    mayfly said:

Transferring 4K videos taken using iPhones to their Macs?
    LOL!! You could do that at 20Gbps. Or 10. Or 1. It would give you more time to think whether that 4K video is worth the drive space!
    bonobobrezwitsAlex1Nmacplusplusbikerdude
  • Reply 17 of 48
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,328member

Oh, please! This requirement by the EU is not "better for the planet". In fact, it will generate a lot more e-waste as all those lightning and other types of cables now become garbage. In addition, people will need to buy additional new cables and chargers resulting in even more unnecessary use of resources and waste.

The last thing we need is US politicians managing the evolution of technical advancements. Can't wait until something faster/smaller/better is developed that nobody in Europe can use because it will take a decade for the EU technocrats to allow it's use.

rpelletiPauloSeraatmaydanoxbluefire1entropysrezwitsdewmebadmonkmarthas694
  • Reply 18 of 48
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 929member
    Finally an iPhone 15 leak that, if true, would make an upgrade worthwhile. And if you're wondering why Thunderbolt speed would matter that much, you're obviously not a pro using your iPhone Pro for high-rez videography and photography. The slow transfer speeds with Lightning are a real pain point. You may not mind as a hobbyist who does it once in a while, but when it's a bottleneck on a daily basis, it gets more than a little frustrating. 
    bonobobwilliamlondonAlex1Nkingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 19 of 48
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 937member
    That will be nice. 

Photos? I use my Nikon Z7II, d850 and Z8 not my iPhone 14 pro max.  lol. And I’m no “pro”. 

Transfer speed for my Pokémon Go Buddy photos isn’t much of an issue…
    edited August 2023 Alex1N
  • Reply 20 of 48
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,328member
    charlesn said:
    Finally an iPhone 15 leak that, if true, would make an upgrade worthwhile. And if you're wondering why Thunderbolt speed would matter that much, you're obviously not a pro using your iPhone Pro for high-rez videography and photography. The slow transfer speeds with Lightning are a real pain point. You may not mind as a hobbyist who does it once in a while, but when it's a bottleneck on a daily basis, it gets more than a little frustrating. 

I may be wrong, but I don't believe the Lightning connector itself was the limiting factor to inclusion of Thunderbolt transfer speeds.
    Alex1N