iPhone 16 Pro could get 48MP Ultra Wide camera, Wi-FI 7 support

Posted:
in iPhone

The iPhone 16 Pro will benefit from an upgraded 48-megapixel Ultra Wide camera and Wi-Fi 7 support, an analyst's research note claims, as the rush to be early on future iPhone rumors continues.

Apple has yet to actually launch the iPhone 15 family of devices, but the rumor mill is already going for the iPhone 16. In the latest research note, an analyst claims that the next iPhone 16 Pro release will include an improvement to the Ultra Wide camera.

The note from Jeff Pu of Haitong International Securities, seen by MacRumors, discusses a few of the key features of the iPhone 16 Pro. The top one is the use of a second 48-megapixel camera sensor on the rear.

The iPhone 14 Pro range already has a 48-megapixel Main camera sensor, which uses techniques such as pixel binning to improve low-light photography, as well as extra levels of zoom by cropping the image.

Pu believes the Ultra Wide camera on the iPhone 16 Pro and Pro Max will be upgraded from the current 12-megapixel sensor to a 48-megapixel version, bringing the count to two high-resolution sensors out of the three.

This isn't the only camera sensor rumor for the iPhone 16 Pro Max, as other rumors have claimed the possibility of a super-telephoto capability through the use of a periscope lens system.

Wi-Fi 7

Pu's other main claim is that Apple will adopt Wi-Fi 7 with the iPhone 16 Pro lineup. With a capability to use 2.4GHz, 5GHz, and 6GHz bands simultaneously, along with 4K QAM, the wireless networking standard should be extremely quick when it comes out.

Theoretically, Wi-Fi 7 could provide Wi-Fi speeds at up to 40Gbps, or four times that of Wi-Fi 6's 9.6Gbps.

There is a problem to Pu's claim, in that Wi-Fi 6 is still being developed. While it was first approved in 2019, and with the first models with support for the standard emerging in 2023, the final version of the standard itself isn't expected until early 2024.

Apple is frequently an early adopter for new technologies, but an early 2024 finalization may be too late in the production cycle for the iPhone 16 to fully adopt. That's not to mention that the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max still support Wi-Fi 6, and the iPhone 15 may support Wi-Fi 6e, making a second shift in Wi-Fi standards in two years seem like a big ask for Apple.

Pu's note about a smartphone that's over a year away from release offers information that is promising, but not much beyond any observer's educated guess as to what comes next. Pu also has a spotty track record, as while moves in Apple's supply chain are fairly accurate, product-specific details tend to be relatively shaky.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    kmareikmarei Posts: 203member
    i need at least 8 cameras on the back
    ideally 10
    ravnorodomwilliamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Come on guys. I need iPhone 17 Pro forecast.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 3 of 15
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,732member
    That red color looks really nice.  If only.
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 4 of 15
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,059member
    Netgear (and maybe others?) already sells a WiFi 7 router, so no problem with iPhone 16 supporting that standard a year from now. I also think you’re confusing or at least conflating WiFi 6 with WiFi 6E and it's essential to differentiate between the two. WiFi 6 routers hit the market in 2019 and are very common now but WiFi 6 does NOT support the 6GHz band. WiFi 6e does support it (as does WiFi 7) and the first-to-market 6E routers are out there but still very expensive. Some router mfgrs offer a way to add WiFi 6E capability to an existing WiFi 6 router. 
    edited August 2023 rundhvidAlex1N
  • Reply 5 of 15
    M68000M68000 Posts: 844member
    kmarei said:
    i need at least 8 cameras on the back
    ideally 10
    LOL
  • Reply 6 of 15
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,129member
    I imagine most people would rather have a high-end sensor on the camera with the longer focal length than on the ultra-wide. I know I would. It’s just so much more versatile. 
    appleinsideruserAlex1N
  • Reply 7 of 15
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,130member
    Yeah, these rumors are really stale. Where's the report on the iPhone XVIII "Teen", the iPhone 19 Ultra, Mega, and Supreme lineups? 
    MorkAlex1N
  • Reply 8 of 15
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,921member
    1. Timing wise iPhone 16 is perfect for adding WiFi-7. IPhone 16 has to offer something more for consumers to look forward to upgrade. WiFi 7 is one good check mark. I hope Apple puts WifI in all versions of iPhone 16 and not just Pro.
    2. Networking chips companies(Broadcomm,Qualcomm,Intel,Cisco,etc) already building and testing their version of WiFi-7(802.11be) router and client devices chips. In fact few companies already built and selling WiFi-7 routers.
    3. WiFi-7 specs are going through revisions and final/ratified version will be out in 2024 but as usual companies don't wait for the final version long as hardware part is settled. Firmware/software can be updated all along.
    4. Apple already bought networking chips team from Intel and also created significant engineering presence in San Diego area to bring in-house design of networking chips.
    5. Intel announced. "We are currently developing Intel's Wi-Fi '802.11be' in order to obtain the 'Wi-Fi Alliance' certification, and it will be installed in PC products such as laptops by 2024," said Eric McLaughlin, vice president of Intel's wireless solutions division, at a press conference in South Korea. "We expect it to appear in major markets in 2025."
    6. Client devices like phones,tablets,laptops,etc always have implemented newer version of WiFi sooner than wide spread adoption by people in routers.
    edited August 2023 Alex1N
  • Reply 9 of 15
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,059member
    "Pu's note about a smartphone that's over a year away from release offers information that is promising, but not much beyond any observer's educated guess as to what comes next. Pu also has a spotty track record..."

So why are you publishing this when you so clearly state the case for why this is meaningless? Here's one for you: "Future iPhone Rumored to Support WiFi 8" Or how about: "Rumor States Apple Accessories Will Be USB-C By End of '24" Will these "rumors" end up being true? Probably! Did I just make them up based on nothing but an observer's educated guess? Absolutely! So why not publish these? At least they don't come with Pu's "spotty track record."
    Graeme000williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 10 of 15
    MorkMork Posts: 23member
    eightzero said:
    Yeah, these rumors are really stale. Where's the report on the iPhone XVIII "Teen", the iPhone 19 Ultra, Mega, and Supreme lineups? 
    Yes exactly, 15 not out yet but 16 speculation,  so why not iPhone 99 or 100 super pro max extreme plus, I heard it’s an ocular cerebral implant with tachyon quantum connection.
    ravnorodomAlex1N
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Lol, only thing the rumor mill can conjure up is a new camera and new wifi standard! These products have just become stale because they are already so good. Heck, even the design language of these phones has become dated and predictable. 
    Japheywilliamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 15
    nubusnubus Posts: 574member
    Rumors about Galaxy S24 agree that it will have Wifi 7. Those rumors started 1 year ago. Seems we’re at a rumor disadvantage compared to Android. We have to leap past them, and we can do better than rumors about colors, lenses, and TSMC stuff.
    Bluetooth 5.4 didn’t deliver more bandwidth for Audio. It will however likely be doubled in 5.5 allowing far better quality. Bluetooth 5.5 could be ready for iPhone 17 and start a major upgrade cycle for all AirPods in time for Christmas 2025.
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Why not just wait to see if all the electrons wasted on guessing on iPhone 15 actually pan out in September. Very bad for unreleased iPhone 15 sales to be talking about the vaporware iPhone 16.

Wondering if folks doing these guesses are also playing the stock market and trying to shift the Apple stock price?
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 14 of 15
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,130member
    Mork said:
    eightzero said:
    Yes exactly, 15 not out yet but 16 speculation,  so why not iPhone 99 or 100 super pro max extreme plus, I heard it’s an ocular cerebral implant with tachyon quantum connection.
    Wearables? You want wearables? The iPhone LVI is an injectable. Nanobots go right into your brain. And those of you on the android will be asking yourselves, "why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?"
    rundhvidAlex1N
  • Reply 15 of 15
    eightzero said:

Wearables? You want wearables? The iPhone LVI is an injectable. Nanobots go right into your brain. And those of you on the android will be asking yourselves, "why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?"
    We already have the Graphene foundation in our brain from the Jab, so won’t be far away