Cook justifies Apple's advertising on X as a 'town square' for the Internet

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    There is nothing to "justify". Twitter is a free speech platform (with an asterisk) so why bother with censored Threads or Facebook?
    Plenty of censorship going on over at Xhitter.

"Last night when the clock struck midnight, nearly 13,000 workers at Ford, General Motors, and Stellantis went on strike after the so-called "Big Three" car companies failed to reach an agreement with United Auto Workers (UAW). By Friday morning, UAW discovered that X, the platform formerly known as Twitter—in what appeared to be a petty move by platform owner and Tesla CEO Elon Musk—had stripped their account's verified status, The Intercept reported.

The move seemingly makes it harder for UAW to maximize reach for its posts on X, just as workers have begun striking, demanding better wages and other benefits.

On top of the backlash over Musk's union-busting tweet, Tesla has a history of violating labor laws."

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/09/musks-x-revokes-paid-blue-check-from-united-auto-workers-after-strike-called/
    baconstangilarynxforegoneconclusion9secondkox2williamlondonspheric
  • Reply 22 of 44
    Absolutely embarrassing response from Tim. X isn’t just “some social network” any more. Musk is actively using it to disseminate, amplify and promote hate speech. 
    ilarynxforegoneconclusionargonaut9secondkox2williamlondonmattinozNoGodsNoMastersspheric
  • Reply 23 of 44
    jensonb said:
    Absolutely embarrassing response from Tim. X isn’t just “some social network” any more. Musk is actively using it to disseminate, amplify and promote hate speech. 
    Don’t fall for it bro. Just back away from the kool aid hose. 
  • Reply 24 of 44
    There is nothing to "justify". Twitter is a free speech platform (with an asterisk) so why bother with censored Threads or Facebook?
    Plenty of censorship going on over at Xhitter.
    When an account updates their profile pic the blue check is automatically removed for some period of time.

A journalist would have confirmed that the UAW did NOT update their profile pic before making the claim it that "it appeared to be petty move by platform owner and Tesla CEO Elon Musk". The risk in doing that, though, is the truth could turn it into a nothing-burger and they lose out on the 500+ comments of engagement.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    Steve HumistonSteve Humiston Posts: 18unconfirmed, member
    Only those that lack intellect and education would classify "being wrong" as a difference of opinion. Ignorance needs to be silenced, with more and more people using the internet as their sole informational input, facts and reality have to be promoted and ignorance silenced. There is a reason the difference in the 2 parties is divided by the largest educational divide it's even been (with democrats being the higher side).

tmaybaconstangNoGodsNoMasters
  • Reply 26 of 44
    I really don’t know why AI opens comments on articles like this, like we don’t all know what each other’s opinions are — or don’t have other outlets. Yet many technical or tip articles have no open comments, where we could share practical things. Can’t even say “good job!” on most of them.

Anyway, back to eviscerating one another. 
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 27 of 44
    jensonb said:
    Don’t fall for it bro. Just back away from the kool aid hose. 
    Musk is on there personally posting about antisemitic conspiracy theories. Being cool with that is not okay.
    williamlondonjSnivelytmayNoGodsNoMastersspheric
  • Reply 28 of 44
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    I really don’t know why AI opens comments on articles like this, like we don’t all know what each other’s opinions are — or don’t have other outlets. Yet many technical or tip articles have no open comments, where we could share practical things. Can’t even say “good job!” on most of them.

Anyway, back to eviscerating one another. 

Every once in a while we let one loose that we know will be a little iffy to see if things have improved. This one has been fine so far, we don't moderate stupid as a rule, but we do moderate hate speech, personal attacks, etc. None of that in here yet

The reason we disable them on tips is because because comments fall into one of two categories: 
    1) I now need support with other things and or have questions
    2) Why is this a "tip" I've known how to do this since I was in preschool 

#1 we don't have the time to answer everybody's questions and we do a disservice by letting them post into the void, and #2 is like "Yo, this isn't for you. There are users at all skill levels. iPhone is still for Grandmas and Teens" 

Also, fwiw I live in TX, and I have lived in CA. There are ups and downs to each. I do not agree with MANY of this state's policies, and I certainly wouldn't raise a child here... but also the majority of my family lives here. Does that mean I'll stay here forever? No. But there's something to be said for trying to improve your conditions rather than just running for the hills (though i don't begrudge anyone being actively discriminated against for doing so.) I vote alongside my beliefs and values, especially when they don't align with the area at large. If more people did that, then we'd have a much better world overall.

All that said, I think Cook's response was toothless and disappointing. Obviously it would be irresponsible to the company for him to bring up the Uyghur genocide or something during the interview, but that doesn't mean he's ignorant towards it or doesn't care. I do wish he had come down harder on some of Texas' more draconian policies though. Likewise with Twitter, if he didn't want to slam the platform, he could have been a bit harsher on Musk's personal tweets. 

Just my 2 cents 🤷‍♂️
    edited September 2023 tmaybaconstangjensonbFileMakerFelleravon b7dewmespheric
  • Reply 29 of 44
    Cool. Cool. Where is the bottom, Tim Apple?
  • Reply 30 of 44
    Translation: "Elon Musk is ever so dreamy."
    jensonbNoGodsNoMastersspheric
  • Reply 31 of 44
    ilarynx said:
    techconc said:
    It’s pretty ridiculous that anyone thinks Apple (or anyone else) has to justify advertising on X or anywhere else they choose.  Business is business and politics are politics.  Attempting to mix the two is a recipe for disaster. 
    Sounds like an argument to keep corporations from donating to politicians and PACs.  
    To clarify, by “politics”, I was referring to political ideology.  Political donations are another thing.  That can lead to corruption.  Yet, there is no easy answer on how to handle that.  PACs are a different story as they serve a valuable purpose- educating politicians on specific issues a company has a vested interest in.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    red oak said:
    The ADL is a corrupt organization peddling false narratives.  It is a shell of what it once was and what it stood for 
    Ditto for the Southern Poverty Law Center.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    Tim is a gay man who survived growing up in the south. If you expect him to stick his neck out, don’t. His approach to things is to try and stay above the fray and avoid noticing the consequences of doing nothing. 

I suspect in a few decades people will look back at Apple’s continued funding of Twitter the same way we look at businesses who did business with Hitler. 

But he won’t be CEO anymore when society truly realizes the cost of continually caving to rich douche bags. 
    williamlondondewme
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Tim is a gay man who survived growing up in the south. If you expect him to stick his neck out, don’t. His approach to things is to try and stay above the fray and avoid noticing the consequences of doing nothing. 

I suspect in a few decades people will look back at Apple’s continued funding of Twitter the same way we look at businesses who did business with Hitler. 

But he won’t be CEO anymore when society truly realizes the cost of continually caving to rich douche bags. 
    Wow!  Godwin's law in two pages.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 35 of 44
    netrox said:
    bytor said:
    California places zero value on anyone else’s speech, political views or voting 
    That's non-sense. 

Having lived in TX and CA, I can assure you that TX has a lot more restrictions than CA does when it comes to human rights. 

What about parental rights? Cali doesn’t seem to recognize those any longer. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 36 of 44
    hexclock said:
    netrox said:
    bytor said:
    California places zero value on anyone else’s speech, political views or voting 
    That's non-sense. 

Having lived in TX and CA, I can assure you that TX has a lot more restrictions than CA does when it comes to human rights. 

What about parental rights? Cali doesn’t seem to recognize those any longer. 
    The state is the parent...  classic dystopia.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 37 of 44
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    I don't think any given terminology really matters (virtue signaling, corporate virtue signaling etc). 

He is the CEO and has plenty of options. It's his call but I don't think these kinds of actions really help in any way. 

If anything they can create rejection. 

Perhaps it's the soundbytes themselves but just like with anything super sweet, there's a point where it becomes sickly sweet and the message becomes hard to swallow. 

For me, Tim crossed that line years ago with his 'Apple has values' in reference to the tax problems with Ireland and the EU. 

His intentions may be good but sometimes an understated message is a stronger message. 

Just like with wigs, less is more. 

If you want to make a big deal about stopping using whatever process or material that is detrimental to the environment but that you've used widely beforehand, the best thing to do is actually just state the facts. No more. No less. 

Don't 'preach'. 

Or alternatively, say 'we looked at where we were actively harming the environment and give the numbers that represent the damage and then state how you are changing things. 

If there isn't a marketing campaign sitting below everything no one will say' but Tim, you can't say that publicly'. 

The whole 'ripple in the pond' thing is OTT and comes over as somewhat condescending. 

The pond has always been full of ripples in terms of the environment and given the billions that Apple has accumulated over the years one could easily counterargue that Apple has not done enough in this area. 

To me, the message is too self congratulory and it's why I'd much rather he didn't say much on these things. 

0.005% taxes in the Ireland case? Values my ass! 

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 38 of 44
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member
    Advertising on X gives Elon plenty of rope to hang himself, which he will do, then you can pull all of the advertisement for good, it’s like waiting for Donald Trump or Kanye West to explode. :smile: 
  • Reply 39 of 44
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    Twitter isn’t a town square, it might have been at one time. But now it’s become a ghetto for political extremists and conspiracy theorists who are fact-checked off mainstream social media.
    But even those weirdos have some money to buy Apple products, hence the advertising,
    mattinoz
  • Reply 40 of 44
    seanj said:
    Twitter isn’t a town square, it might have been at one time. But now it’s become a ghetto for political extremists and conspiracy theorists who are fact-checked off mainstream social media.
    But even those weirdos have some money to buy Apple products, hence the advertising,
    Twitter was never a town square.
    a mall at best.