Early iPhone 15 tests after overheat-fixing patch don't show any performance losses

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2023

Initial testing of the iOS 17.0.3 update demonstrates that Apple managed to reduce heat in the iPhone 15 without impacting performance at all.

iPhone 15 Pro Max Geekbench benchmarks after the iOS 17.0.3 patch applied
iPhone 15 Pro Max Geekbench benchmarks after the iOS 17.0.3 patch applied

Early iPhone 15 hands-on experiences were strange to read, with a clear dichotomy. In those accounts, some phones were getting very hot, and some weren't. Reliable data on this was obscured somewhat by phones indexing after data transfer or OS update, which just complicated assessment.

As the days wore on, it was clear that not every user was complaining about heat, nor was it a majority of iPhone 15 users. There were some, and we had a brief bout of it with one of our staffers early -- but that case cleared up.

But social media hammered on with the idea, picked up and amplified by the tribal nature of the internet.

Apple waited until September 30 to say something about it. At the time, they blamed the heating on Instagram and other apps, in conjunction with a bug in iOS 17.0.2 that was aggravating the issue.

And they promised a patch to iOS to deal with the issue. That update arrived on Wednedsday afternoon.

In the hour and a half that the update has been available, we've updated a few of our iPhones with the patch and re-ran benchmarking we relied upon in some of our reviews.

We ran every benchmark we did in the reviews several times across multiple runs and users. In every case, we got what we saw in the studies, with little or no variance.

If you hammer any computing device or charge a battery, it will get hot. Physics and chemistry are inescapable. We believe the iPhone could have better cooling systems for longer-term performance, but that's neither here nor there today.

Ultimately, time will tell on this, and I'm sure there will be outlier experiences and applications, as benchmarking isn't the universal end-all of performance testing. But today, initial testing with a wide net shows no significant performance issues induced by the patch.

Read on AppleInsider

FileMakerFeller

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    kelliekellie Posts: 54member
    Should people stop using this hone cases which reduce the dissipation of heat from the back of the phone? Or should cases be modified to allow more airflow?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,437member
    This is a good indication that Apple didn't do anything crazy like throttle the whole device.  Along the same lines that you mentioned, if an application that was contributing to the overheating was getting a performance boost by overdriving the device, I would expect that app to see a decrease in performance. 

There's an iOS/iPadOS app called "System Status Pro: hw monitor" that provides a CPU Usage gauge and the average load over the past 1, 5, and 15 minutes. It would be interesting to see the before and after numbers when the heating issue is occurring during the before period samples. If your iPhone or iPad gets sluggish or unresponsive I suppose this will confirm that the device may be heavily loaded so you could perhaps close some apps to make things better. Unfortunately, that's the full extent of the loading metrics available. No list of running processes, threads, CPU per process, etc., so you won't really know which app or system process could be contributing to the loading.

[Edit: the app does provide other useful metrics and detailed system information]

Now that this issue appears to be resolved, I suspect that nobody in the user community really cares to know about the root cause of this issue. Time to move on and wait for the next social media amplified panic alarm to go off. The sky has been restored to its proper location.
    edited October 2023 FileMakerFellerAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Hopefully they'll go on to fix some more bugs now! When I went to install the update, I noticed that all the info across the top of the home screen (eg time, battery, network etc) had disappeared (and not for the first time). The cameras also struggle in difficult lighting situations that my iPhone Xs took in its stride. Disappointing.

iPhone 15 Pro 256GB
    williamlondonAlex1Nunbeliever2watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,105member
    command_f said:
    Hopefully they'll go on to fix some more bugs now! When I went to install the update, I noticed that all the info across the top of the home screen (eg time, battery, network etc) had disappeared (and not for the first time). The cameras also struggle in difficult lighting situations that my iPhone Xs took in its stride. Disappointing.

iPhone 15 Pro 256GB
    iOS UI has been buggy since iOS 7. They should have never let Scott Forstall go.
    edited October 2023 entropyscommand_fwilliamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 14
    tyler82 said:
     They should have never let Scott Forstall go.
    That arrogant idiot is the reason that there is no calculator app on iPads. Jobs was horrified by Forstall's lack of aesthetics and had to go as soon as a replacement could be found. A clear example of someone being promoted beyond their abilities. 

'Case' or 'no case'? is a more difficult quagmire. If you want maximum performance and minimum weight it is certainly 'no case'. Those more bothered by resale price in a year or two than blazing performance may be tempted to go with a 'case' to preserve the pristine appearance. However, beauty may only be skin-deep but health certainly isn't. Heat ages batteries badly so those 'case' people may find their battery's heath deteriorating prematurely c.f. 'no case' and therefore negatively affecting the resale price. 

Perhaps keep it in the original sealed box to maximise resale value?

edited October 2023 Alex1N
  • Reply 6 of 14
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,549member
    Guys, there was no serious problem here. As usual with new devices and major OS upgrades, there were a couple of hiccups. One was an OS bug by Apple and others are caused by a few third party apps. That’s it! Most of us never had the problem at all. I suspect that as usual, the OS bug interacted with the third party app problems. If you don’t have those apps, you won’t have the problem. People have reported that with the Uber app, for example, the same problem occurs on the 14 and even some iPads.

it may be remembered that the Messenger app from Facebook caused hearing and battery drain as well, and Chrome, under some circumstances can drain the battery and cause heating. This happens to Android phones as well, but nobody seems to care enough to make it out like a world ending issue as they do when it’s something that affects Apple.
    muthuk_vanalingamAlex1Ndanoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14

tyler82 said:
    command_f said:

iPhone 15 Pro 256GB
    iOS UI has been buggy since iOS 7. They should have never let Scott Forstall go.
    He was, himself, a problem. Remember he was responsible for the maps debacle. He was fired because he refused to sign the letter of apology that the other top Apple executives signed. Apparently he either knew there was a problem and hid it, or didn’t know enough about what was going on in his own department to know there was a major problem. Both are unforgivable.
    muthuk_vanalingamAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14

kellie said:
    Should people stop using this hone cases which reduce the dissipation of heat from the back of the phone? Or should cases be modified to allow more airflow?
    Don’t worry about it.
    unbeliever2Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    command_f said:
    When I went to install the update, I noticed that all the info across the top of the home screen (eg time, battery, network etc) had disappeared (and not for the first time).

iPhone 15 Pro 256GB

I've had that happen sporadically since iOS 16 on my 14 Pro Max, it usually appears vertically along the left-hand side of my device. Reboot usually clears it up (but only temporarily).
    Alex1Nwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    kmareikmarei Posts: 193member
    If the reason behind the heat issues really was Instagram and Uber apps
    Don't they test these phones before mass production starts ?
    I mean Instagram is common enough that anyone testing  a phone probably has it
    Same with uber
    this wasn't some unknown app that's rarely installed 
    that is why we have quality control
    to find out these issues before the phone is produced and you have tons of negative press
    i have a lot of people at work that got it and the heat buildup was pretty common
    I'd say 40%
    Sucks even more when you just (over)paid $1200 for a phone and you have issues

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,003member
    It appears that Apple doesn’t have anything to worry about relatively if these Benchmarks are to be believed?

Samsung and Google are quite aways back if you can believe this Mobile Benchmark list from geek bench. (Notice where the iPhone 11 Pro six cores is rated in relationship to Samsung and Google latest smartphones eight cores. (Nearly five years back that can’t be right)

In short if Apple has to massage the wattage/heat envelope, they appear to have a very large window to work with?

https://browser.geekbench.com/mobile-benchmarks

https://www.phonearena.com/news/facebook-drains-phone-batteries-intentionally_id145227     Related (Meta)
    edited October 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Of-course it doesn’t affect overall performance. This was just a matter of capping the CPU or GPU under specific workloads and situations.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    tyler82 said:
    command_f said:

iPhone 15 Pro 256GB
    It’s quite the jump from saying iOS UI is buggy to Scott, who was let go years and years ago, and was mainly focused on design rather than engineering.
    However I agree there are many small glitches that remain unaddressed. For example sometimes the volume bar sometimes renders for a landscape design while being in portrait after switching back and forth. It rarely happens but when it does it looks so ugly :-) 
    Which issues do have?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    riverkoriverko Posts: 226member
    As my iPhone 14 Pro was also heating up a lot, which never happened during the beta time, i was waiting if the update shows up too… it did and certainly the phone is now on a much cooler side… finally…
    watto_cobra