Google's Pixel 8 series offers extended software support & AI camera features

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2023

Google has finally lifted the curtain on its much-anticipated Pixel 8 and Pixel 8 Pro smartphones and the next generation of its wearable device, the Pixel Watch 2. Here's a look at what these new flagships bring to the table.

At Google's live event on Wednesday, the tech giant unveiled its latest flagship smartphones -- the Pixel 8 and Pixel 8 Pro, along with a Pixel Watch 2. From extended software support to groundbreaking camera technology and health features, Google promises that the Pixel 8 series will redefine expectations from a mobile device.

Google Pixel 8 and Pixel 8 Pro

The Pixel 8 and Pixel 8 Pro feature a refreshed design, including curvier edges like the iPhone 15 lineup. They each opt for classic glass and aluminum materials, instead of the rumored titanium material for the Pixel 8 Pro.

The Pixel 8 Pro's display is a 6.7-inch Super Actua display, and the Pixel 8 has a slightly smaller 6.2-inch Actua display, 42% brighter than the Pixel 7 screen. Under the hood, both phones run on Google's new Tensor G3 chipset, which may address the heat issues that plagued previous models.

The camera setup is a significant upgrade, with the Pixel 8 Pro featuring a 50-megapixel wide camera, a 48MP ultrawide sensor, a 48MP telephoto sensor, and a 10.5MP front camera. A unique feature is the built-in thermometer in the Pixel 8 Pro so users can measure temperature of themselves and other objects.

In comparison, the regular Pixel 8 features a 50MP wide camera, a 12MP ultrawide camera, and a 10.5MP front camera.

Both phones will be the first to ship with Android 14. Google also plans to extend software support for the Pixel 8 series, aiming for up to seven years of updates.

Pixel Watch 2

Meanwhile, Google upgraded the new Pixel Watch 2 with the Qualcomm Snapdragon W5 chipset. Qualcomm's most recent wearable system-on-chip (SoC) is manufactured using Samsung's 4nm process technology and features four Cortex-A53 cores with a clock speed of 1.7GHz.

Google's new Pixel Watch 2
Google's new Pixel Watch 2

The new chip is expected to offer a significant boost in both performance and energy efficiency when compared to the first Pixel Watch's Exynos 9110 chip, which was built on a 10nm process and has only two Cortex-A53 cores operating at 1.15GHz.

The Pixel Watch 2 also has a larger 306mAh battery, which is a 4% increase from the first version's 294mAh battery. Although the improvement is minor, the new Snapdragon chip and the 306mAh battery ensures the wearable can go over 24 hours on a single charge.

Google is leaning heavily into health insights with the new Pixel Watch 2. Three new sensors have been added, as well as Fitbit's Body Response feature with a new continuous electrodermal activity sensor.

Pixel Buds Pro

Finally, Google is updating its Pixel Buds Pro headphones with features that include conversation detection, which is similar to the conversation awareness option on Apple AirPods. It can detect when a person is speaking and automatically lowers the audio playback volume.

The latest update for Pixel Buds Pro adds support for Bluetooth Super Wideband. According to Google, when these earbuds are paired with a Pixel phone, the enhanced bandwidth improves the voice quality on calls for the listener.

Google has updated the Pixel Buds Pro
Google has updated the Pixel Buds Pro

Google is introducing a low-latency gaming feature that reduces audio delay by 50% for specific games. Users can also check out "listening stats" so they know how loud their music has been playing with suggestions to lower the volume for hearing health.

Pricing & Availability

The Pixel 8 smartphone starts at $699 and is set to ship later on October 12, coming in Rose, Hazel and Obsidian colors. Meanwhile, the Pixel 8 Pro starts at $999 in Porcelain, Bay and Obsidian colors.

Meanwhile, the Pixel Watch 2 starts at $349, the same price as the first model, with an LTE version available for $399. It also ships on October 12.

Pixel Buds Pro are available for $199.99 in Bay, Porcelain, Charcoal, Fog, Lemongrass, and Coral colors.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    KITAKITA Posts: 395member
    Aside from the absolutely wild AI + hardware features that Google just showed off (years ahead of Apple here), this is big:

byronlwilliamlondonFileMakerFellerctt_zhgrandact73
  • Reply 2 of 25
    bala1234bala1234 Posts: 146member
    7 Years of software update is big! While I don't think its going to change any minds here, it might be a game changer in the android world. But ironically it will only allow me slowdown on my update cycle...
    badmonkbyronlFileMakerFellergatorguyctt_zh
  • Reply 3 of 25
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,333moderator
    KITA said:
    Aside from the absolutely wild AI + hardware features that Google just showed off (years ahead of Apple here), this is big:
    You always pop out of the woodwork every time Google/Samsung/Microsoft/Nvidia/anyone except Apple introduces something new to hype it up, while ignoring years of developments from Apple. Nothing Google showed was all that impressive. Even the audience of, presumably Google fans, was silent/bored through most of the presentation until they announced more than 2 year support for software updates - something that Apple has offered for decades (around 6 years of updates usually, knockoff products don't last 7 years so the extra year is moot).

The whole presentation was filled with contrived ways of how someone might use AI like asking for recipes, moving a tent in a photo, zooming in. People can do AI photo editing with Photoshop.

I'm guessing some of the lack of interest was due to the fact that this is all about Pixel products, which only a small fraction (<2%?) of the Android audience owns.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/googles-total-pixel-sales-barely-compare-to-what-samsung-sells-in-a-year-4272550

"Google would need 60 years to sell as many phones as Samsung sells in one."

Meh features that few people will use on devices few people will own. Yawn.

Most Android users still left with poor software updates, poor hardware integration, lack of access to features across the whole ecosystem. Still, it's good to know that Apple's dominance in the industry still bothers Android people enough to post on an Apple forum to try and hype up these underwhelming improvements.

Have to laugh at 'years ahead' when it comes to AI. Everybody and their dog is incorporating AI models into their software every 5 minutes.
    bala1234 said:
    7 Years of software update is big! While I don't think its going to change any minds here, it might be a game changer in the android world. But ironically it will only allow me slowdown on my update cycle...
    It's not changing the Android world, just the Pixel 8, it's a software guarantee for that hardware, which hardly anybody buys.
    williamlondonXedwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 25
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,898member
    bala1234 said:
    7 Years of software update is big! While I don't think it’s going to change any minds here, it might be a game changer in the android world. But ironically it will only allow me slowdown on my update cycle...
    Saying it and actually executing it are two different things. me too me too……
    williamlondongatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 25
    byronlbyronl Posts: 363member
    The camera and AI camera features on the 7 Pro were amazing, i’m looking forward to watching reviews of this

their Video enhancement feature also looks promising and may even finally be able to compete with the iPhone’s video
    edited October 2023 williamlondongatorguyctt_zh
  • Reply 6 of 25
    "Slightly cheaper than an iPhone and almost as good! ... hey, it worked for Windows PCs in the 90s..."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Some interesting tech, for sure, but could the presenters have been any more unenthusiastic and boring?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 25
    byronl said:
    The camera and AI camera features on the 7 Pro were amazing, i’m looking forward to watching reviews of this

their Video enhancement feature also looks promising and may even finally be able to compete with the iPhone’s video
    The video enhancement uploads to Google's server for processing then downloads it back onto the phone.

https://www.androidpolice.com/google-pixel-8-pro-best-video-feature-magically-processed-cloud/

I wouldn't trust sending private videos to any tech company, certainly not an ad company known for multiple privacy violations. The bandwidth requirements to upload 4K footage means either the footage is heavily compressed to begin with or not feasible to upload/download over cellular. People will most likely be stuck with a loading bar for an hour, get fed up waiting and never use the feature again.

This won't compete with recording ProRes HDR to an SSD and being able to do high-end color grading on it. Apple gives people practical features they will use, companies like Google just need bullet points for their marketing pages and more ways to collect personal data.
    danoxtmaywilliamlondonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,230member
    Marvin said:
    byronl said:

The video enhancement uploads to Google's server for processing then downloads it back onto the phone.

https://www.androidpolice.com/google-pixel-8-pro-best-video-feature-magically-processed-cloud/

I wouldn't trust sending private videos to any tech company, certainly not an ad company known for multiple privacy violations. The bandwidth requirements to upload 4K footage means either the footage is heavily compressed to begin with or not feasible to upload/download over cellular. People will most likely be stuck with a loading bar for an hour, get fed up waiting and never use the feature again.

This won't compete with recording ProRes HDR to an SSD and being able to do high-end color grading on it. Apple gives people practical features they will use, companies like Google just need bullet points for their marketing pages and more ways to collect personal data.
    Marvin, while I generally respect your opinions, aren't you simply guessing at the quality, how it will be accomplished, and the privacy implications? As far as I know the service has not been reviewed at all, not even by beta. Even then the number of videos a typical Apple users high-end color grades must be a teeny-tiny percentage of the ones captured. Post-processing is not an easy task, particularly for the impatient or newbie.  If this makes it easier to improve a video someone takes, a birthday party, company event, some wedding or baby shower you attend, how could it not be a good thing for those of us who don't have the PP skills required to call ourselves professionals at it? 

So as far as what quality you get back from an uploaded video no one knows. It may be amazing, crappy, or somewhere in between. In between is my expectation which would result in a no-work and no-skill-needed improvement over the original. What I suspect is the end-game is eventually moving this on-device, but to begin with testing various algorithms, and encouraging user feedback. Google seems to be all-in with on-device AI processing. and I expect this one will make its way there at some point. 
    byronl
  • Reply 10 of 25
    gatorguy said:
    Marvin said:
    byronl said:

aren't you simply guessing at the quality, how it will be accomplished, and the privacy implications?

So as far as what quality you get back from an uploaded video no one knows.
    No guess-work needed, the compression algorithms are well-known. 4K HDR needs at least 20Mbps to be decent quality. This is 1.5GB for 10 minutes of footage. People would need to upload that from their smartphone and download the same, 3GB round-trip for every 10 minutes of clips and heavy compression twice.

The question was whether this would be comparable to iPhone video like ProRes log HDR, which is over 1000Mbps bitrate. Answer is no, due to math.

Privacy is covered in their terms:

https://policies.google.com/terms#toc-permission

"This license allows Google to:
    - host, reproduce, distribute, communicate, and use your content
    - sublicense these rights to:
      - our contractors who’ve signed agreements with us that are consistent with these terms, only for the limited purposes described in the Purpose section below
    - This includes using automated systems and algorithms to analyze your content:
    - to customize our services for you, such as providing recommendations and personalized search results, content, and ads
    This analysis occurs as the content is sent, received, and when it is stored."

They are an ad company, these are standard terms. Some people would be ok uploading private images and videos to an ad company, I'd rather keep it offline.
    gatorguy said:
    Marvin said:
    byronl said:

Post-processing is not an easy task, particularly for the impatient or newbie.  If this makes it easier to improve a video someone takes, a birthday party, company event, some wedding or baby shower you attend, how could it not be a good thing for those of us who don't have the PP skills required to call ourselves professionals at it? 
    It's a worthwhile feature for some people but it has little to do with this smartphone's features because it's processed on a server. It's not going to benefit many people because hardly anyone buys these phones and this feature for some reason is limited to the Pro model so even fewer people will use it.

It would be better to have an app on the desktop to do this processing with more control over the output, no wasted bandwidth, no privacy issues.
    danoxtmaywilliamlondonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Marvin said:
    Post-processing is not an easy task, particularly for the impatient or newbie.  If this makes it easier to improve a video someone takes, a birthday party, company event, some wedding or baby shower you attend, how could it not be a good thing for those of us who don't have the PP skills required to call ourselves professionals at it? 
    It's a worthwhile feature for some people but it has little to do with this smartphone's features because it's processed on a server. It's not going to benefit many people because hardly anyone buys these phones and this feature for some reason is limited to the Pro model so even fewer people will use it.

It would be better to have an app on the desktop to do this processing with more control over the output, no wasted bandwidth, no privacy issues.
    Or better yet on on-device and avoid upload and privacy issues altogether, which is where I see this feature heading.

The Google feature is not meant to be a tool for professionals. I would have thought that to be obvious. Google is not competing with you as an experienced video editor or you as a movie-maker. We already have dozens of professional desktop tools to do this, and no need for yet another one. Why should we have to learn "all about the light" and the tools and the menus, and the settings, and what the acronyms mean to get better results?   Make it easy for Grandma and Grandpa. Isn't that supposed to be one of the goals of Apple software, "keep it simple, stupid"?

For the quick stuff I've been using Topaz Video AI which does a very acceptable job for unpaid work, but I have to download the video to my desktop (takes time), have a basic understanding of the settings (more time), and some knowledge of color-grading (more reading and research), then do some trial and error (more time) for the best results. It's still time-consuming even with somewhat automated software. 

What Google is doing AFAICT is creating a convenient way for non-professional people to give themselves a better quality video than they captured with little to no effort or PP education required. Sounds like something a lot of consumers would appreciate access to, particularly after this initial testing period. Trying to compare this to professional tools is way off the mark, Marvin. It's not supposed to be for professionals who already know what they're doing and where they want to end up, nor does Google imply it is.  

EDIT: You portray a 1.5GB file upload as being a major roadblock to testing this out. At least in my case with a 500mb fiber speed I could do so in under 30 seconds. No biggie here, and I have zero doubt the videos will only be uploaded when the user has a wi-fi connection.  
    edited October 2023 ctt_zhbyronl
  • Reply 12 of 25
    bala1234bala1234 Posts: 146member
    bala1234 said:
    It's not changing the Android world, just the Pixel 8, it's a software guarantee for that hardware, which hardly anybody buys.
    Sort of true but not the entire picture here. May be you are being too dismissive.  For one as the owner of the platform google is sort of setting high watermark here which will push other manufacturers to improve their game. And the other is that I am a regular pixel customer so its personally good news for me :smile: .
    edited October 2023 ctt_zhwilliamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Googles cloud solution fits into everything they do as an ad company, which is why Apple and Google are on different paths.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 25
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,355member
    gatorguy said:
    Marvin said:
    byronl said:

Marvin, while I generally respect your opinions, aren't you simply guessing at the quality, how it will be accomplished, and the privacy implications? As far as I know the service has not been reviewed at all, not even by beta. Even then the number of videos a typical Apple users high-end color grades must be a teeny-tiny percentage of the ones captured. Post-processing is not an easy task, particularly for the impatient or newbie.  If this makes it easier to improve a video someone takes, a birthday party, company event, some wedding or baby shower you attend, how could it not be a good thing for those of us who don't have the PP skills required to call ourselves professionals at it? 

So as far as what quality you get back from an uploaded video no one knows. It may be amazing, crappy, or somewhere in between. In between is my expectation which would result in a no-work and no-skill-needed improvement over the original. What I suspect is the end-game is eventually moving this on-device, but to begin with testing various algorithms, and encouraging user feedback. Google seems to be all-in with on-device AI processing. and I expect this one will make its way there at some point. 
    Many years ago, Google innovated imagining features (low and night light) that required cloud computing, so it's obvious that Google will eventually move this processing to a future Pixel Phone. Apple was late to the party on that, but when it arrived, it arrived in phone, with very low latency, which was an obvious benefit to the user.

My recollection is that Apple has never offloaded imagining or video processing to the cloud, so in some ways, this was advantageous to Android OS early on, and later, to the Pixel. Siri was certainly an exception to that, as were other Apple services, and yet, Apple didn't seem to suffer from adding features when the silicon was there to allow it, presumable given consumers ability of extrapolate Apple's advantage in silicon.

One of the constant talking points of the Android OS world, is how Android almost always has features before iPhone does, and that is certainly true, but it is also true that Apple, with a limited number of models, stresses the supply chain even to add a folded lens to its current iPhone 15 Pro Max, which will sell in the ten's of millions of units, sales that no other flagship phone model would ever see.

While I'm happy to see Google's success with the Pixel, it's still apparent to me that there is notable differentiation between iPhone's video capability, and Pixel Phone's, a great example of consumer choice at work.

williamlondonwatto_cobrabyronljony0
  • Reply 15 of 25
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,315member
    Incidentally, that seven-year software support is NOT guaranteed, it’s a goal.

I feel sorry for the people who bought a now-all-but-abandoned Pixel 7. Shoulda held out, suckers!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 25
    chasm said:
    Incidentally, that seven-year software support is NOT guaranteed, it’s a goal.

I feel sorry for the people who bought a now-all-but-abandoned Pixel 7. Shoulda held out, suckers!
    Confused much? may I suggest more reading and less guessing?

Their official company statement isn't confusing and doesn't sound like a goal: "We’re COMMITTING to providing seven years of software support for the Pixel 8 and Pixel 8 Pro, including the latest Android operating system, security updates, and ongoing Feature Drops." ...

...and yes, they are also committing to repair parts availability for seven years. 

How does that compare to the number of years Apple guarantees software updates? :)

As for the Pixel 7 you're closer (not close) to being correct, just less hand-wringing as they're hardly abandoned. It gets its last guaranteed security updates in 2027 and full operating system revisions in 2025 unless Google decides to up it.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/4457705?visit_id=638321965455210411-1447137010&amp;p=pixel_android_updates&amp;rd=1#zippy=,pixel-pro
    https://blog.google/

edited October 2023 muthuk_vanalingamctt_zhgrandact73byronl
  • Reply 17 of 25
    danox said:
    Googles cloud solution fits into everything they do as an ad company, which is why Apple and Google are on different paths.
    Less and less of the information or request processing needs done on Pixel phones are being sent to "the cloud".  One of the more surprising examples, at least to me, is the Google Generative AI search feature on the newly announced Pixel 8's. For enhanced privacy and security the data is processed on-device, something no one would have expected from Google even 5 years ago.
    edited October 2023 byronl
  • Reply 18 of 25
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    Marvin said:
    byronl said:

Many years ago, Google innovated imagining features (low and night light) that required cloud computing, so it's obvious that Google will eventually move this processing to a future Pixel Phone. Apple was late to the party on that, but when it arrived, it arrived in phone, with very low latency, which was an obvious benefit to the user.

My recollection is that Apple has never offloaded imagining or video processing to the cloud, so in some ways, this was advantageous to Android OS early on, and later, to the Pixel. Siri was certainly an exception to that, as were other Apple services, and yet, Apple didn't seem to suffer from adding features when the silicon was there to allow it, presumable given consumers ability of extrapolate Apple's advantage in silicon.

One of the constant talking points of the Android OS world, is how Android almost always has features before iPhone does, and that is certainly true, but it is also true that Apple, with a limited number of models, stresses the supply chain even to add a folded lens to its current iPhone 15 Pro Max, which will sell in the ten's of millions of units, sales that no other flagship phone model would ever see.

While I'm happy to see Google's success with the Pixel, it's still apparent to me that there is notable differentiation between iPhone's video capability, and Pixel Phone's, a great example of consumer choice at work.

Choice has worked. Apple dominates the upper end and Google gets to do me too projects. Apple as a vertical hardware/software company, has never been rootless like a software only company, and Google is just dabbling in hardware. Googles (Pixel) geekbench me too position (53) says it all. And when Google fails with a hardware project they have shown that they will just cut the cord and run.

https://browser.geekbench.com/mobile-benchmarks

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 25
    danox said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    Marvin said:
    byronl said:

Choice has worked. Apple dominates the upper end and Google gets to do me too projects. Apple as a vertical hardware/software company, has never been rootless like a software only company, and Google is just dabbling in hardware. Googles (Pixel) geekbench me too position (53) says it all. And when Google fails with a hardware project they have shown that they will just cut the cord and run.

Rather than promoting raw speeds as Apple does, which says little about a phone's capabilities and features, hasn't Google's Pixel all along put a greater emphasis on photography and smart features as their diffentiator? I've often seen comments from AI members that it they had to buy an Android phone it would probably be a Google Pixel. 
    edited October 2023 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 25
    gatorguy said:
    danox said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    Marvin said:
    byronl said:

Rather than promoting raw speeds as Apple does, which says little about a phone's capabilities and features, hasn't Google's Pixel all along put a greater emphasis on photography and smart features as their diffentiator? I've often seen comments from AI members that it they had to buy an Android phone it would probably be a Google Pixel. 

What it explains is why Google is sending the information to the cloud, and then ricocheting that info back to the phone their current processor which is actually is way behind Apples 11 Pro iPhone, which is depending on how you count it is a 4 to 5 year old processor, and Google certainly doesn’t match Apple when it comes to the OS integration with software and they certainly don’t out design Apple in hardware.

Well, they’re not even doing their own hardware they’re just pretending, and that’s not even taking into consideration third-party programs like Black Magic cam or DaVinci Resolve or Final Cut Pro or any other third party software in the Apple ecosystem.

Since Google is 4 to 5 years behind do they even have LiDAR in their smartphone? By the way, the 11 Pro does not have LiDAR wasn’t added until Version 12 of the iPhone probably has something to do with the processors speed, but every iphone after has LiDAR, and all the iPad Pro’s after 2020 after also have LiDAR built in, which helps in portrait mode when taking still pictures LiDAR allows, precise measurement without guest work, which the Samsung phones and the Pixel phone do not have, they just guess at the distance and use fake AI to make up the difference, Apple including LiDAR will play a big part in spatial video recording, which will be very important with the Apple Vision Pro next year, both the 15 Pro and 15 Pro ultra have the capability of recording spatial video, which is coming in a software upgrade before the intro of the Apple Vision, Pro next year.

Before looking at the numbers with all the hype about the Pixel and the Samsung smartphones, I thought they were closer but they’re not closer, they appear to be at least four or five years behind Apple. The numbers, don’t even equal the 11 Pro iphone and that includes both Samsung, Google, and every other Android smartphone.

I think Apple’s path is pursuing on phone/local computing, and not ET phone home, burn battery life and hope you have a signal computing with their mobile devices, but that only works if you can get Meta to relinquish CPU cycles and not burn up the phone first.

https://gizmodo.com/what-is-lidar-and-why-would-you-want-it-on-your-phone-1843162463  The comment section is priceless usual what do you need this for?

Google decides to take a different path with Elon? Who also doesn’t like LiDAR either. (Could Google path be different because their processors don’t have the power?) Google decided to roll their own version ARCore, but their current processors they don’t appear to be fast enough, remember they don’t even have 11 Pro iPhone capability yet, Apple didn’t put LiDAR in until the 12 iPhone.

https://blog.google/products/pixel/google-pixel-8-pro/  The Pixel eight apparently doesn’t have LiDAR either, in fact it’s a pretty pedestrian smartphone upgrade.
                                                                                              But it does have Video Boost coming, sent it to our servers to process and then you can get it, your picture back.

https://www.techradar.com/news/6-ways-android-phones-could-use-the-iphone-12-pros-lidar-scanner-tech

Other Android phone makers have tried but their implementation (single pulse) is bad, when compared to Apple (multiple pulse scanner), their current processors apparently don’t have the power either, and they don’t have the software chops to make it happen on a consistent basis with all the many other processes going on in the background?Sounds like a job for Apple.
    edited October 2023 watto_cobra