Apple Original 'Lessons in Chemistry' set to receive prestigious SOFEE award

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV

The critically acclaimed Apple TV+ series "Lessons in Chemistry" is set to receive the Seal of Female Empowerment in Entertainment (SOFEE) from the Critics Choice Association Women's Committee.

Image Credit: Apple
Image Credit: Apple

The SOFEE awards outstanding films and TV shows that authentically depict the female experience through compelling, female-driven narratives.

Starring Academy Award winner Brie Larson, who also serves as an executive producer, "Lessons in Chemistry" is an adaptation of the bestselling novel by Bonnie Garmus.

The series is set in the 1960s when a young, aspiring scientist named Elizabeth Zott is fired from her lab after discovering she's pregnant. She takes a job as a host on a cooking show and winds up teaching her audience more than just recipes.

"It isn't every day that a character like Elizabeth Zott walks into your life," executive producer Natalie Sandy said in a press release.

"When tasked with translating the rich world and characters in Bonnie Garmus's book to screen, it was impossible not to recognize our mission as a great privilege and responsibility. The entire team behind 'Lessons in Chemistry' is so honored and humbled to receive this award, which we could not have done without an astounding novel as our North Star. We are so incredibly grateful for the recognition and feel empowered to continue telling stories that resonate with women and inspire them to find their voices."

"Lessons in Chemistry" shines a spotlight on the historical struggles and progress made in the perception of women in society, inviting audiences to draw parallels between the past and the present.

The series was awarded a perfect score based on the evaluation criteria used by the CCA Women's Committee to determine eligibility for the prestigious Seal of Female Empowerment in Entertainment (SOFEE) for new titles. This recognition highlights the series' dedication to showcasing and celebrating women's empowerment in the entertainment industry, as recognized by the CCA Women's Committee.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Haven't dipped into this show yet. I'm worried because there is not a lot of praise out there. And people who have read the book seem to hate it.

I'm a big fan of many of the Apple TV+ shows, and I like Larson, but the trailer is not compelling.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Appleish said:
    Haven't dipped into this show yet. I'm worried because there is not a lot of praise out there. And people who have read the book seem to hate it.

I'm a big fan of many of the Apple TV+ shows, and I like Larson, but the trailer is not compelling.

Not sure where you're getting any of that information from.  It's a well-loved book, by any measure (4.4/5 on Apple Books, 4.6/5.0 on Amazon).  It's a NYTimes Best seller.  The only substantively negative reviews are from people who seem to be significantly religious and take offense at it, or those who think it's "man-hating" for showing women being empowered without the help of men.
    Spitbathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Not going to watch the show, but I loved the book.  What a great read!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Appleish said:

Not sure where you're getting any of that information from.  It's a well-loved book, by any measure (4.4/5 on Apple Books, 4.6/5.0 on Amazon).  It's a NYTimes Best seller.  The only substantively negative reviews are from people who seem to be significantly religious and take offense at it, or those who think it's "man-hating" for showing women being empowered without the help of men.
    I assumed they meant "people who have read the book seem to hate [the show]."

That said, my mom loved the book and says she likes the show so far. 
    watto_cobraentropys
  • Reply 5 of 7
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    People who love a book often hate the fillum version.

• Reply 6 of 7
    Did the author even watch the initial episodes? It is not set in the 1960s. Wrong decade. It is set (at least in the first few episodes) in the 1950s. 
    Spitbathjellybelly
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Did the author even watch the initial episodes? It is not set in the 1960s. Wrong decade. It is set (at least in the first few episodes) in the 1950s. 
    I agree with you as to the first three episodes that have been released. There’s a flashback of one to several years that has a caption of 1951. In the opening flash forward, Elizabeth arrives at the studio in a 1955 Pontiac Chieftain that is much newer than other cars in the scene.